Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Water Pump Replaced

126K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  BlackDiesel 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed last week that I had a small 6" wet circle under the front of the truck. Looked under the truck and passenger side front of the oil pan is wet with coolant. Traced it back to the water pump weephole. Called dealership they wanted 172 plus tax for a new water pump. I called the local Cummins dealer and she sent me one FedEx to my house this morning straight from the factory for 110 plus tax. I got it put in and all hooked up and guess what no more leaks.

Only lost a little bit of coolant also.
PART NUMBER IS 2881804 FOR THE 6.7 WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT KIT. I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH CUMMINS FOR EVER BEFORE WE WERE ABLE TO LOCATE IT. SORRY FOR NOT ADDING IT BEFORE.

Andy

See less See more
#3 ·
41000 miles on the stocker. I caught it just as it started leaking. It was losing about an inch of coolant in the resivor a day. So I can see where someone could get into trouble real fast.
andy

#5 ·
The pump is easy to fix. The one on my 04 went out at about 90k miles. I will however mention that I had to replace the damn thing 3 times due to inferior parts from both Autozone and Checker. Neither sealed. I ended up going to Pep Boys for the last replacement and the quality looked better and sealed perfectly. Genuine would have obviously been better but I am cheap.

#6 · (Edited)
The one the dealer put on for you was original cummins. Or it should have been. That is why they are so high. They buy the parts from cummins and then mark them up and resell them to us.
The one from genoes is not orignial to the 6.7, but is probably still cummins. That is a 5.9 water pump and actually pumps less water than the 6.7 water pump does. Put the two side by side and you will see the difference. That is what sealed the deal for me.
Andy

Reactions: alschief
#8 ·
Old Water Pump Pictures

Head on shot of the impeller. Notice the weep hole.

Close up of the weep hole.

Side shot.

#12 ·
My 6.7 is at the dealership since Thursday for a water leak (17,000 miles). I called Friday and they said it wasn't leaking so I told them to keep it over the weekend. Monday it had a few drops under it but they can't tell from where. The dealership is going to add some liquid that appears under UV light to try to pinpoint. Seems like a lot of work to get around changing the water pump. Small water puddle near the front of the oil pan on the passenger side. I'll post the final result. John

#13 ·
You sir have a water pump with bad seals in it. Tell them to run the truck until it gets good and hot. Then shut it off and they will find were it is coming from real fast.

Reactions: collin
#14 ·
great post for instructions on the h2o pump change out! :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Only if enough people say it helps.

Reactions: JohnMurphyRN
#16 ·
I just replaced mine at 101,000 past Saturday....wish I had seen this post first. I forced my hands down between the rubbery shroud and fan to reach the pump. I cut my arms and hands in 6 places trying to work that way......Mom always said I wasn't the brightest bulb in the box. Evidently I'm something like 40 watts.

Reactions: Mudman1
#17 ·
Perfect. Found my problem and found this handy write up. Pump out at 85k on 07 6.7, Time to dig in.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.