Few issues with my new 2019 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Few issues with my new 2019

I just picked up a 2019 3500 cummins chassis cab. I already have a 2013 2500hd cummins pickup and have noticed some differences. The new truck has push button start, now that its kinda cold out I push the button once and the truck doesn't start, im assuming to pre heat the diesel, well it won't start unless i hit the button again, is that normal? I get in, step on the brake hit the button, accessories come on and then it says "press brake and push button" again. I thought id hit the button it would pre heat then when it was ready the truck would start. It doesn't say preheat in progress or anything like my key fob truck does.
Another issue and this may be normal i dont know, this truck has the asin trans and my other does not. When I take my foot off the gas and coast a lot of times the truck will downshift by itself, mostly when im going to be slowing down but it even does it when i just want to coast, like around a curve in the road. I dont like that at all. I think it makes the fuel milage worse and its annoying. Is that just how that trans is?
Any info is appreciated.

LouRusso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:48 AM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 259
Thanks: 53
Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Agree with the delay to start when cold. Normal starting requires a push on the brake with the button pressed at the same time. It then continues to start with no issues. Miss the brake and it just does some form of accessory mode.

Now then the engine feels "cold", you do that normal brake/push procedure and it goes into a pre-heat countdown. Here is where I am also confused. most but not all of the tine I have to keep the brake on so it starts after that count-down is over. More than once it has just started, or seems to start without pushing the brake on if I had held that brake on for a while during that count-down.

Fuddled with that at my Georgia hunting camp on the morning and really never figured it out. Bottom line is if I kept the brake on while and after pushing the button, the darn thing started. If I did not do the brake press and hold it, it did a sometimes start. If not I had to press the brake to get it going.

I have the 68RFE transmission so no help there.
10%more is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Update on the push button start issue. I did a little reading in the owners manual (go figure) and saw that if u try to start with the door open during a preheat, it may be necessary to push the start button a second time. This sis something im always guilty of, I leave the door open because i just want to start the truck then get out and let it warm up. Got in this morning, closed the door, hit the button, went through preheat, then started right up without the need to hit the button a second time.

Still curious about the transmission though.
LouRusso is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to LouRusso For This Useful Post:
10%more (01-17-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:41 AM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
scj64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 286
Thanks: 12
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like you have it in tow/haul mode.
I know if you have the cruise set it will downshift to slow you on steep hills whether it’s in tow/haul or not.

Mine will coast down from 70 to 30ish without downshifting in normal mode. I think the downshifts are mostly based on rpm’s. When you’re coasting, mine will downshift around 1100 to 1200 rpm’s and when you are driving empty in normal mode, mine upshifts between 1700 to 1800 rpm’s.

2019 4x4 Big Horn 3500 DRW CCLB NAV, 1000 ft lb., Aisin, 4.10ís, rear air ride suspension.
scj64 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 259
Thanks: 53
Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRusso View Post
Update on the push button start issue. I did a little reading in the owners manual (go figure) and saw that if u try to start with the door open during a preheat, it may be necessary to push the start button a second time. This sis something im always guilty of, I leave the door open because i just want to start the truck then get out and let it warm up. Got in this morning, closed the door, hit the button, went through preheat, then started right up without the need to hit the button a second time.

Still curious about the transmission though.
I better start reining the manual again.

When I had that starting/brake issue, there were times when the door was open and times when it was not. The mornings at 27* when the windshield was covered in ice were times I tried to start with the door open. Then I would dig out an ice scraper and get to work. Never equated the starting issue with the door position as often I started getting ready to go with door closed.

Good to know and be reminded of a more through manual reading.
10%more is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 AM
Cummins Fanatic
 
Burn'n Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Great White North
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRusso View Post
Another issue and this may be normal i don't know, this truck has the Aisin trans and my other does not. When I take my foot off the gas and coast a lot of times the truck will downshift by itself, mostly when I'm going to be slowing down but it even does it when i just want to coast, like around a curve in the road. I don't like that at all. I think it makes the fuel mileage worse and its annoying. Is that just how that trans is?
Yep, and it's not just an Aisin thing. I'll argue that most auto transmissions being produced these days exhibit the same downshifting characteristics. The coast feature so prevalent in TorqueFlites, Turbo Hydromatics, C4s, C6s etc are long gone. I'm not convinced that it negatively affects fuel mileage. It's designed to keep the engine operating close to its sweet spot, which, generally, provides the operator with more control.

19 3500 Laramie LongHorn SRW Crew; HO CTD
Burn'n Oil is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scj64 View Post
Sounds like you have it in tow/haul mode.
I know if you have the cruise set it will downshift to slow you on steep hills whether itís in tow/haul or not.

Mine will coast down from 70 to 30ish without downshifting in normal mode. I think the downshifts are mostly based on rpmís. When youíre coasting, mine will downshift around 1100 to 1200 rpmís and when you are driving empty in normal mode, mine upshifts between 1700 to 1800 rpmís.
Definitely not in tow mode
LouRusso is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn'n Oil View Post
Yep, and it's not just an Aisin thing. I'll argue that most auto transmissions being produced these days exhibit the same downshifting characteristics. The coast feature so prevalent in TorqueFlites, Turbo Hydromatics, C4s, C6s etc are long gone. I'm not convinced that it negatively affects fuel mileage. It's designed to keep the engine operating close to its sweet spot, which, generally, provides the operator with more control.
Thanks for the info, yeah i kinda figured it was technology trying to mess up what was totally fine in the past, lol......at least thats my opinion anyway. But how could it not affect fuel milage negatively if the rpm's are higher when coating they dont need to be? Just because i take my foot off the gas doesn't mean I want to slow do, just coast. It just gives me whiplash instead, lol. Again thanks for the info.
LouRusso is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I can throw my two cents into the subject. I have the same truck. I was going to buy the chassis cab fleet but ended up with a fully loaded 3500 limousine. Too many bells and whistles which I wouldnít know about unless I got the fully loaded passenger truck. As far as the delay in your start it is due to the anti theft/ remote start. You are correct if a door pin is ajar or if the truck is not unlocked properly it will do this. I would never have known if mine didnít come equipped with the new theft deterrent system that displays through UConnect. Also my pig will coast as long as it is out of towing mode ďlocated bottom right center councilĒand the diesel brake is not engaged on/auto. Another feature that comes up in a fully loaded package. I wish they would have left everything alone but instead they keep adding. Donít get me wrong I looove the truck but when Iím in it Iíd never believe it was a work truck. My 2019 3500 6.7 sport has 12 motherboards and 6 miles of wiring incorporated into the harness. Kinda wish it was like my 2000 2500 simple simple. Iím ASE master certified and this harness even has me still learning something daily.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwilkerson is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilkerson View Post
I can throw my two cents into the subject. I have the same truck. I was going to buy the chassis cab fleet but ended up with a fully loaded 3500 limousine. Too many bells and whistles which I wouldnít know about unless I got the fully loaded passenger truck. As far as the delay in your start it is due to the anti theft/ remote start. You are correct if a door pin is ajar or if the truck is not unlocked properly it will do this. I would never have known if mine didnít come equipped with the new theft deterrent system that displays through UConnect. Also my pig will coast as long as it is out of towing mode ďlocated bottom right center councilĒand the diesel brake is not engaged on/auto. Another feature that comes up in a fully loaded package. I wish they would have left everything alone but instead they keep adding. Donít get me wrong I looove the truck but when Iím in it Iíd never believe it was a work truck. My 2019 3500 6.7 sport has 12 motherboards and 6 miles of wiring incorporated into the harness. Kinda wish it was like my 2000 2500 simple simple. Iím ASE master certified and this harness even has me still learning something daily.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again thanks for the info. Unless the truck is stuck in tow mode with non of the lights being displayed, its not in tow mode and the engine brake is not on either.
LouRusso is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Do you have gear selection option on your steering wheel control?? If not it has to be in overdrive as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwilkerson is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilkerson View Post
Do you have gear selection option on your steering wheel control?? If not it has to be in overdrive as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I do, I will check that, thanks.
LouRusso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome