screw on tranny filter fell off/ruined transmission - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grit dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
screw on tranny filter fell off/ruined transmission

I had my 2010 3500's transmission filters changed by a shop about 12,000 miles ago. My truck was shifting really hard and had tranny fluid coming out of the dipstick last week. I took it in to another shop (i have moved) who specializes in diesels. After looking at it and taking the pan off, they said that the screw on filter was hanging by the last thread. They are saying that everything else looks fine, nothing is cracked and that the filter had to have been put on incorrectly. Can anyone tell me if this is a for sure thing? The original shop that did the filter work is owned by my sister's friend's husband and I don't want to go down that road with the wrong information, but if it was neglect, I sure as hell don't want to put out the money out of my own pocket. If anyone has some info that would help I would really appreciate it. I am staring at a hefty repair bill. Thank you much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegaut View Post
The original shop that did the filter work is owned by my sister's friend's husband and I don't want to go down that road with the wrong information, but if it was neglect, I sure as hell don't want to put out the money out of my own pocket.
I would say a simple phone call and ask them about it. They may fix it no problem. A friendly call to a family friend might have better results instead of an instant fight when lawyers get involved or a bad attitude over a phone. A court fight with lawyers is well, freaking expensive. Even a win might leave you in debt for a lot more to an ambulance chaser than a trans repair bill. IMHO

2015 3500 Mega-cab DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating, pulling a 2002 Park Avenue RV or a 28ft trailer loaded with tractors, fire-wood and what-ever the day brings.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Cummins Fan

Well said. Anytime lawyers get involved, they are the ones making the money on the path of no return (IMHO). You can win a case, but collecting is a whole other issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

2012 6.7 4x4 Laramie, 68RFE, 3.73, Deleted with mystery tune. No scan tool yet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CTD Rookie, always learning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegaut View Post
I had my 2010 3500's transmission filters changed by a shop about 12,000 miles ago. My truck was shifting really hard and had tranny fluid coming out of the dipstick last week. I took it in to another shop (i have moved) who specializes in diesels. After looking at it and taking the pan off, they said that the screw on filter was hanging by the last thread. They are saying that everything else looks fine, nothing is cracked and that the filter had to have been put on incorrectly. Can anyone tell me if this is a for sure thing? The original shop that did the filter work is owned by my sister's friend's husband and I don't want to go down that road with the wrong information, but if it was neglect, I sure as hell don't want to put out the money out of my own pocket. If anyone has some info that would help I would really appreciate it. I am staring at a hefty repair bill. Thank you much.
Yes installing the filters wrong to cause that is a for sure thing.
People make mistakes.
This happens to be in the 2019 section for your future posts.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, still working with the shop on getting this rectified.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Diesel Head

12,000 miles later it's hard to pin it on the shop that did the work. And this may sound harsh, but if the filter slowly or even relatively quickly backed off, it would leak and should be noticeable.
At the same time, I don't own a 68re truck and haven't heard of this issue in the real world, but see below. Usually a "fix it" product like this is developed because there's at least some propensity for issues.

"Product Description
68RFE Transmission Spin On Filter Screw, Steel Upgrade

This is a must due upgrade to any 68RFE whether it be a stock transmission or upgraded. This is just as important as keeping the fluid level correct because if the filter loosens and falls off, complete transmission failure will occur.

The stock screw is cheap plastic and cannot be properly tightened to insure that it doesnít loosen up over time. If over tightened the plastic screw will break. We recommend replacing the factory plastic screw immediately when purchasing a new or used truck regardless of the mileage. The steel screw can be used again and again during each filter change."
utahtrapper likes this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode