4Likes
  • 1 Post By 1st timer
  • 2 Post By ZRojas
  • 1 Post By 1st timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Tire Valve Separation

While driving across Texas on 3 Jul 2019, between Texarkana and Dallas, had a left front tire loose pressure rapidly and the TPMS did not send an alarm. This is a Ram 3500 with steel wheels, all factory, no modifications. Got to a tire repair shop and they checked the valve and the rubber surrounding the brass core had separated. It did not hurt the TPMS monitor. Valve replaced and all appeared good.

Got into El Paso about 7pm and noticed the left outside rear was flat! Again no TPMS notice. Had the spare installed. Same issue with the valve separating. One was a fluke, two concerned me!!

Got to my destination on 4 Jul 19 with no further problems. Went to the local Discount Tire shop and had ALL rubber valve stems replaced with metal compatible with the TPMS monitors. The tech's fund a third valve that had separated and was leaking air!!

Any recommendations on who I can call at RAM to let them know they have a serious, possibly deadly, issue with the tire valves they are using? Any advice is appreciated.

- '16 3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Sent an email to RAM. Will share their reply.
gsbrockman likes this.

- '16 3500
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:30 AM

I do not believe that any of the Ram 3500s have TPMS. They have TPIS, tire pressure information system. It only displays the tire pressure, there are no alarms associated with it.

The owners manual and users guide both state the Ram 3500 series may have TPIS. Page 229 of the owners manual if you want to read it and interpret yourself.

This was true for my 2016 3500 as well.

If you use the link below and put in your VIN number you can get your build sheet. It will either say "Tire Pressure Information System" or "Tire Pressure Monitoring Display"

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
gsbrockman and Jimmy N. like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZRojas For This Useful Post:
1st timer (08-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM
Diesel Head

It seems that valvestem manufacturers send out bad batches every now and then, but thankfully much less frequently than food manufacturers, for example.

You did the right thing going to metal stems. I got tired of rubber stem failures years ago, so almost all my vehicles and trailers have metal stems these days.
Since I generally put new tires and wheels on the balancer first thing (and especially with Rams) anyway, putting real valvestems in while I'm at it seems to be well worth it.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy N. For This Useful Post:
1st timer (08-05-2019)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

ZRojas - you are correct and thanks for the clarification.

- '16 3500
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

All,

An update from RAM - for what it is worth!

Finally heard back from RAM technical support. They tried referring me to the tire manufacturer; asked if the tire manufacturer installed the tires on the wheels for RAM - no. Sent pictures and receipt from tire shop so they had specifics to research.

A few days later and another rep wanted to know if I wanted reimbursed for the metal valve stems and installation. I explained, again, the intent was and it to get RAM to fix this issue which could kill someone (or many). He wanted the receipt, and I explained I had provided the receipt in my original email. He said that was insufficient and they needed my credit card statement for verification. I, as politely as possible, informed the young man if the paid in full receipt from the tire repair shop was insufficient in his opinion, I wanted to speak to a supervisor to discuss this issue further. He put me on hold three times and finally agreed the receipt would be accepted, in this instance!!

So, RAM is reimbursing the costs of the seven metal tire valves. A nice plus.

But not sure if they will do anything further with out additional prodding!

Guess time will tell. And please tell everyone you know of this issue to check the valves frequently and replace if they look like they are swelling or separating or loosing air.

And thanks to all!!
Jimmy N. likes this.

- '16 3500
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

that is why i leave my Tire Pressure screen on all the time...to monitor the tire pressure since there is no warnings other than watching.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW long box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
B&W Ram Companion
2015 Wildcat 317RL, 12,000 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode