Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2002 3500 Dually Brake Repairs ?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mariner 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking at having to do some repairs to the front brakes on my dually sometime soon. I have not yet worked on the dodge brakes yet so am asking for help and advice that could make a difference - most of my brake repair work has been on my old 1986 F250 that I have had since new.

So here is what I am looking at. The vehicle has only 56,000 miles (86,000km) on it and gets used maybe twice a week at most - most of the mileage is highway miles, so the brakes haven't been over worked yet.

Two days ago I decided to check out the front brake pads for wear and found that they had about 1/4" material left on all four pads. I have replacement pads ready to install and checking the new ones, find there is about 1/2" of brake material. Obviously I don't want to run metal to metal and ruin the rotors so I should be looking at changing out the pads sometime soon. I will be doing both front and rear as I have the replacement (Raybestos Service grade) pads already.

Does anyone have an itemized walk through instructions for doing brake pads replacements for the 3500 - both front and back ?

Sorry if this seems like a simple request, but not having done the dodge brakes before, I am sure there are things not to do etc. I will be doing these myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also retired and the money saved would go a long way to helping me keep the truck in great shape.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Cheers

mariner

See less See more
#3 ·
The front is going to be just like any other disk brake change, the rear however is a bit more involved. With one tons you have to remove the rear hub to change the brakes.

#4 · (Edited)
I have an 02 3500 as said above i would not change the rotors out unless ur getting pulsing, or they look like they have issues. Most likely they will not I have 145,000 on my rig and have never changed the rotors and iv dont the pads once. The AWSOME part of our year trucks is they have disk all the way around. for the front just use a large C clamp and with the wheel off compress the pads as to release the caliper. after that its just the two bolts (sliders) that hold the caliper to the caliper bracket pull the caliper off and swap out the pads (straight foward) and then make sure the slider pins move well and apply some synthetic caliper grease on the slides this will keep them from possibly siezing. And as for the rear its a carbon copy to the front, just as easy should be easy enought if ur done brakes before. All of it is really easy an will take u longer to jack it pull the wheels and read this post. Now if you had to pull the rotors its a different story but im sure ur not goin to have a problem with that. Also 1/4 inch of pad will get ya a good while longer depending on how you drive, and ur front pads usually will wear faster than the rears (more braking power needed) as i said i got 145k on my rig and its 50% heavy towing and 50% getting to work and back via. highway. Its also an automatic so im using the brakes for sure! Let me know if you have any other questions, Il gladly help ya out

#5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.
I have been very busy and haven't been on the computer much lately.
I will hopefully get the work done in the next few weeks - before the weather starts to get too cold. Will follow up with what I found as it may help others in a similar situation to myself.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.