Carli suspension for a work truck? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4wd Suspension 4wd Suspension Systems, Shocks, Springs, and More!....NO ADVERTISING!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Carli suspension for a work truck?

Hi All

I'm going to be replacing/upgrading the shocks on my '03 2500 RCLB next spring and want to hear from guys that have work trucks with Carli parts/systems on them. I use my truck as a DD and I load the bed heavy (1,500 lbs-ish) fairly often.

I've been considering the Performance 2.0 and the Backcountry 2.0 systems. I am currently running 33's with no engine or transmission upgrades... yet. I am curious about the 6" Radius Arm System. Will Carli gear stand up in the long run to being on a truck that's not used primarily for off-road or being a driveway queen?

My intent with this truck is to slowly turn it into very strong haul/tow pig. I plan to add twins to it with the best supporting gear. I'm not interested shooting for some ridiculous number on a dyno sheet, just making it very tough and capable. Think full size slide-in camper pulling a boat over the Cascades or Rockies. Once I get it to that point it will no longer be the DD work truck.

Tell me you stories, good or bad, so I can take your valuable experiences into account when making my decision for what to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

2003 S.O. 2500 RCLB 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Diesel Head

No offense. But i dont understand why so many people post suspension, tire, and other non performance related threads int he performance parts section.

2003 4x4 QCSB- White-Dual Cp3, S&S 250% overs, S472 SXE, Hamilton P&P Head O'Ringed w/ Springs and Pushrods, FMVB Trans built by ME, Fuelab 200gph, HTT I/C, BTR 3 Core, 4 Link Rear, Airride on all 4 corners!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
No offense. But i dont understand why so many people post suspension, tire, and other non performance related threads int he performance parts section.
None taken. Tell the truth I wasn't sure either, but I recon if I'm spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 to upgrade an important part of my truck than I could post it here in this section. But I could be wrong. If a Moderator thinks this should be in a different section I certainly don't have a problem with it being moved.

2003 S.O. 2500 RCLB 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 AM
Diesel Head

You would probably get a lot more feedback if it was in the suspension section. That was my main point I left out.

2003 4x4 QCSB- White-Dual Cp3, S&S 250% overs, S472 SXE, Hamilton P&P Head O'Ringed w/ Springs and Pushrods, FMVB Trans built by ME, Fuelab 200gph, HTT I/C, BTR 3 Core, 4 Link Rear, Airride on all 4 corners!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Call carli. And call don Thuren. They make the parts and they know what works and won't sell you a kit to go into the Baja 1000 if you don't need it.

{sold}_Kill it with Diesel ~ 04.5 QCSB 4x4 S&B, ISSPRO, Airdog II 165 - Hellman Sump, DTT trans, 50's, Smarty Jr, Kore HP
'13 Jetta Sportwagen TDI baby hauler!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Cummins Nut

Go to The Dirt section under Suspension and read away. 7 pages only takes a night if you ignore everything around you

04.5/2500/4x4/3.73 3" level, Devil's Own w/m, factory match gauges (boost, pyro, tranny, rail, fuel), Smarty, S&B intake horn, Willy's Whistler air intake, muffler MIA, lube and filter by AMSOIL.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't go with a 6" system if you're considering carrying a slide-in camper.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Diesel Head

And I wouldn't consider a 6" if you plan on working out of the bed. +6" is not fun to climb in and out of unless you're 7' tall. I am not and would not want to be working out of the bed or using this truck like I do my work truck.

That said, Mr. Carli does have some secret squirrel stuff slowly coming down the pipe to throw a radius arm on a 3" kit. Or, go with some other QUALITY long arms or radius arms with Carli everything else. The true quality aftermarket is large enough these days to build a Dodge diesel suspension to however you want. You want to load it up? Let your Carli dealer know and they can have the shocks valved for that. You run around with 1500lbs in the bed all the time? Carli can valve for that too. You like picking up fat chicks on the weekend? Carli will keep you from bottoming out.

Make contact with a good distributor and be brutally honest of what you want out of your truck. They will spec what you need and have Carli valve the shocks for what you're doing.

2006 3500 MegaPig | Carli Trussed 6" Long Travel Dominator
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I have a 6" lift on 35's. And it's not HORRIBLE working out of it. But I'm also 6'-4". My helper can't stand it. He calls it 'the ridiculously BIG truck' specially climbing in and outta the front seat. Haha. He's only 5-11.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsRain View Post
I have a 6" lift on 35's. And it's not HORRIBLE working out of it. But I'm also 6'-4". My helper can't stand it. He calls it 'the ridiculously BIG truck' specially climbing in and outta the front seat. Haha. He's only 5-11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant.foste View Post
That said, Mr. Carli does have some secret squirrel stuff slowly coming down the pipe to throw a radius arm on a 3" kit.
Good to know. I'm 6'4" as well.
I'd really take a close look at 3" Radius Arms from Carli. While I'm no serious off-roader I do like to get off the pavement occasionally and see where a logging road will take me.

2003 S.O. 2500 RCLB 4X4
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Diesel Head

well you definately have a ton of options. and since you haul heavier for work they do over different rates of leaf springs in the back or you could go lighter with bags in the back to adjust. whatever you want to put the truck through the suspension will still be there before the rest of the truck. carli offers a street version called the commuter which might be right up your alley if the truck is mainly on the road.

03 H.O. QC/LB 4x4 NV5600: Pure Performance/ Carli/ Smarty/ Corbeau XRS/ S&B/ RSD/ Aeroturbine 5050/ Toyo 35's/ Gear Alloy 728B/ AD150/ AM Gauges/ Retroshop-projectors/ Amp Steps/ Custom Grille.
1936 Chevy 1/2 ton: 4bt cummins or 383 sbc. still deciding
C3 His and Hers Vette's
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Nice

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode