Front Coil Springs Table - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4wd Suspension 4wd Suspension Systems, Shocks, Springs, and More!....NO ADVERTISING!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rhinopkc, when I measured like that with my factory bump stops in I only had 1.5-1.75" of space between the axle and the bump stop. I did not make that measurement when it was up on jacks.

--Chris-- 2012 3500MC-DRW-4x4 - stock at the moment
SOLD* - * 07 Silver QC LB 3500 5.9 4X4 G56 w/ SBC DD, BD Ex. Brake - no longer a Full Time RV'er-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Supporting Vendors

Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,600 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Are you measuring to the lip of the cup? Look at where I am measuring to in the picture. That's where you measure to. Measure at ride height.

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, and Wheel Needs!
424.241.3252 x700 [email protected]
Check Us Out On Facebook!
Check Our Forum For The Latest in LED and Thuren Products"
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Diesel Head

Im in the same boat with my 3rd gen , it bottoms out all the time and I got a factory bumper. I got 3-3/8" like rhinopkc measured , 1-1/2" between rubber and axle.

05 c/c drw 4x4 full billet DTT,billet62/s480,PPE dual fueler,HP tuners,Flux inj.,studded,ported head w Hellmann intake,Hamilton valvetrain, Mitusa gusher,5"flo pro,mag-hytec dd trans and rear diff,guages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Supporting Vendors

Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,600 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Your stock coils are sagging. If you just put in some new coils and shocks, your ride will greatly improve. Springs don't last forever, especially under the crushing weight of a Cummins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, and Wheel Needs!
424.241.3252 x700 [email protected]
Check Us Out On Facebook!
Check Our Forum For The Latest in LED and Thuren Products"
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Diesel Head

Yea I got some 3" carli coils sittin here just waitin on my 4" atlas leafs to show up and we wont have to worry about the stock stuff anymore. I need to get shocks though.

05 c/c drw 4x4 full billet DTT,billet62/s480,PPE dual fueler,HP tuners,Flux inj.,studded,ported head w Hellmann intake,Hamilton valvetrain, Mitusa gusher,5"flo pro,mag-hytec dd trans and rear diff,guages
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
When I installed my 1800# popup on mine the front end would bottom out easily. I've got some Kore VR ones in there now which work well with the camper weight. Don's Stage two and three help heaps too.
The 3rd gen springs are softer than my 2nd gens.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I measured earlier today and have 3.5" on the driver side from the axle to the lip of the bump stop bucket and 3 and 5/8 on the passenger side. I understand that springs don't last forever but as of yesterday I finally tripped 36,000 miles on the truck. It aged out of its warranty.

guess I need to figure out which springs I want to buy to fix this problem.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I might go with the Tuftruck HD leveling springs on mine.

Tuftruck TTC-1216 HD Coil Spring Kit 94-13 Dodge Ram 2500, 3500 4WD

I think the weight of my bumper and winch will settle them down a bit and they should put me ahead of the game for when I add on a truck camper. I'll have airbags on the rear then.

I can't find a negative review on these springs. Seems like everyone that tossed them on knew the ride would be a bit more stiff and they actually like it that way. I tend to prefer a firmer ride as well, personally.

Still haven't ordered anything, and I'm up for other suggestions but these seem to be a solid bang for the buck with no real downsides aside from a stiffer ride. My soft and plush ride now sucks when it bottoms out hard. I can deal with something slowing it down before bottoming out.

SOLD* - * 07 Silver QC LB 3500 5.9 4X4 G56 w/ SBC DD, BD Ex. Brake - no longer a Full Time RV'er-
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I decided to buy the Tuff Truck coil springs that I posted above. They raised the front end up almost 3" from where it was sitting. That got back the 1" that it was sagging from stock and the 2" that they advertised. I went ahead and got the stronger, heavy duty springs and while they are stiffer, they really do make the truck feel more secure on the road. I no longer bottom out the front and slide around during emergency braking where before it would bottom out and defeat the ABS. I hung my 100 lbs winch on the front receiver of the Ranch Hand and noticed nothing adverse with the weight. No real change honestly.

It doesn't ride noticeably stiffer, only very similar but with a reasonable ride height without bottoming out.

The stock ride height +2 with the extra heavy springs is borderline high for me but I will deal with it. I am not a fan of leveling kits in general, and this one isn't fully leveled, but it isn't far from it. I probably would have gotten the height I wanted with the softer springs +2" so that they could compress down and use more travel. I feel like I'm on the top end of the suspension stroke with these springs but I think that will help me when I get a truck camper or another RV. I don't dislike where it sits enough to spend another $250 to change springs again, but since I didn't have a point of reference before, it is what it is. All the math that I had done prior to purchase added up and they were exactly as advertised. I think the stock height heavy duty springs would still be lower than I wanted which would leave the softer springs +2.

All in all, I really like how it changed the truck's drive-ability. I no longer have dive and wallow in hard turns or around roundabouts and it feels so much more stable. If you have ever ridden a 3 wheeler back in the day, my truck reminded me of a 3 wheeler in how insecure it felt in sharp turns prior to the spring swap. I know it wouldn't roll over like a 3 wheeler would, but it had that same weight transfer that made it feel unstable just the same. The truck also felt like it was plowing the front tires all the time because of all the additional weight on them with the stock springs. Now that the front end is higher and some weight transfer has been shifted a little more to the back, it doesn't plow as much as it used to. I haven't driven it enough to track a mileage difference yet but I'm sure I'll lose at least 1-1.5 MPG just due to the height of the front being raised 3".

I'm a fan of the decision and am really glad that it wasn't too hard to swap them out. It only took a couple hours and made a huge difference in my truck. I'm much happier with it now. Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Cummins Fan

Definitely going to look into this.

97 Dodge 2500 4x4, KDP Fix, BHAF, 3 in 1 glowshift gauge (boost, egt, fuel pressure), 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust, 3k governor spring, boost elbow, afc live, tork teck 20 OFV, 650 hp rated transmission from PDD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode