tire dilemma - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Tire and wheel Discussion of tire and wheel options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
tire dilemma

I think I've read most of the tire threads on forums, but I still habe doubts about tire choices. Some background: 2016 Ram 2500 HD Laramie with towing pkg, factory rear airbags, 285/60R20 tires. It's not a daily driver so have less than 30K miles. On the second set of tires, Continental TerrainContacts that can't be balanced. Road force balancing leaves the tires one 50 lbs off. And that's after 3 off 4 were warranty exchanged for v the sane reason. Bad manufacturing week -- all 6 bad tires were same week. Anyhow, getting ready to drive a few thousand miles in December towing a car on trailer so gotta get the Conti's off.

Much of the use is towing a 14,000 lb gooseneck dump trailer, half that fully loaded over curvy, hilly, paved roads. But-- the last stretch is usually through the yard, barnyard, or field. Seems to me it doesn't matter if 99% of the driving is on pavement if you can't go that last half mile.... In the future, we'll probably get a travel trailer, so one requirement is for good highway driving. But I also don't want to get stuck in soft (not muddy) yards. Get really close with the Conti's.

Can anyone suggest why I shouldn't go to 275/65R20? A little taller and narrower, but much more common than the stock 285s.

I'm torn between the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W and Michelin Agilis Crossclimate that came out in April this year. Both have the 3PMSF designation and the Crossclimate seem really well suited to our heavy trucks. But the Wildpeak seem less likely to leave me spinning wheels in yard. Anyone have the new Crossclimates yet?

Thanks for your insights!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Cummins Fanatic

From what I can tell, the Falkens, Cooper AT3 and the Goodyear Ultraterrrain may be your best bet.

R Bros Rifles
2014 3500 HO Aisin SRW Mega........stock for now
2018 3500 SRW Mega........stock for now
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,265 Posts
The Cooper ST Maxx maybe better for what you are looking for in a tire. The 285/60/20 are available form many places, really no reason to deviate unless you have issues, like a manual trans then a 34" tire will help immensely. No idea on the Falkens but would not consider the michelen.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback RBros_JLR and cerberusiam. I forgot to mention that I live in a rural area that makes it challenging to get some tires. One of the primary local tire shops can get 285/60R20s in just two models! I'm really leaning towards the Falken Wildpeaks as the best compromise. I'd stick with the stock 285/60, though I'm very tempted to try the 295/60s. Thinking the ST Maxx's would be overkill considering the ratio of highway to offroad driving I do. I also have ample 'extraction vehicle's' available (two tractors and two track loaders).

Any thoughts on 285 vs 295?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,265 Posts
Then the Cooper Discoverer ATP may be more what you want. That is what we are running on our dually, so far with about 10k miles no issues.

The tire height would be my concern with a 295, the correct tire is an inch taller and that might put you out of the sweet spot on your truck. Depend son what transmission and gear ratio you have.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavinJim View Post
I'm torn between the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W and Michelin Agilis Crossclimate that came out in April this year. Both have the 3PMSF designation and the Crossclimate seem really well suited to our heavy trucks. But the Wildpeak seem less likely to leave me spinning wheels in yard. Anyone have the new Crossclimates yet?
Different size but I've get a set of the Falkens and have been well pleased. Good grip on and off road, good ride, tows well with my 31ft 5th wheel and little or no noise. Put them on at 55k and am at 110k with quite a bit of life left in them. Will probably well exceed the 65k treadlife warranty they have.

2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab - No Mods
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 - Work Truck Mods
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
Then the Cooper Discoverer ATP may be more what you want. That is what we are running on our dually, so far with about 10k miles no issues.

The tire height would be my concern with a 295, the correct tire is an inch taller and that might put you out of the sweet spot on your truck. Depend son what transmission and gear ratio you have.
I like the ATP's, but they are exclusive to Discount Tires. Closest one to me is over 100 miles away. If I have them shipped, by the time I pay a tire shop for installation, they don't make sense. The only tires on the Cooper site that are listed for 285/60R20 are the AT3 XLT and the S/T MAXX. I have the 6 speed auto and 3.42 axle.

Considering I can get the Falken Wildpeak's for under $1200 out the door, that's probably the way I'll go.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Diesel Head

You may want to check out the Toyo C/T, if they are available in the size you want.
But whatever you buy can be mail ordered, in many cases with free shipping, so don't worry about local availability.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:12 PM
Diesel Head

Iíve been as pleased with my Cooper XLTs as any tire Iíve ever owned.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Diesel Head

If deep mud is the problem much of the year, get the widest faced tire 28030952 LT305/55R20 A/T3W if they will fit your rims , 1 inch wider that your present stock size. Floats across soft ground much better. A/T3W has good side mud lugs for grip in mud by side of tire when face lugs are full and won't clear due to grass/etc.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
If deep mud is the problem much of the year, get the widest faced tire 28030952 LT305/55R20 A/T3W if they will fit your rims , 1 inch wider that your present stock size. Floats across soft ground much better. A/T3W has good side mud lugs for grip in mud by side of tire when face lugs are full and won't clear due to grass/etc.
There are established maximum (and minimum) tire widths for a given rim size for a reason.
Handling goes out the window when going on the wide side, or over.

Besides, there's only so much flotation to be had with the contact pressure that results from some 2,500 lbs. of weight on a front tire.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
Deep mud is rarely an issue as I can readily avoid driving off the driveway then. It's more the soft ground that's an issue. Should have taken some photos last week when I spun the rear tires moving the empty dump trailer through the yard. 4WD is an absolute necessity.

I looked at 305s, but then I'd have to go to load range F. Not many tires fit that bill, and they starry getting pricier.... I read somewhere that anything over 12" wide can be a problem on the 2500 trucks. Not positive about that, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode