raceMe tuner questions - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If it feels better to you than thats great, but you are generating alot of heat. i would suggest and egt gauge just because with added timing you dont know what the cylinders are putting out. its a better safe than sorry kinda thing in my experiance.

ASE Master Diesel Mechanic- Specializing in Duramax, Cummins, And Each Flavor Of PowerStroke. Servicing The Greater Northern Va Area
2011 3500 srw ccsb leveled 9 foot v plow engine still under warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I will be adding the ability to monitor that soon.

David Guillory, 2012 mega/dually 4x4 6.7/6sp auto stock. RaceMe Jr, DPF/egr deletes, 175k miles. Bought used at 42k miles.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb712 View Post
Depends on how heavy you tow. I would do either sw2 or even sw1 if you tow heavy. Always run the default timing on any raceme tune you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Smoke Diesel View Post
Like vb712 said keep the timing on default. The power setting you can run depends. Are you using a EGT gauge? The power setting will depend on what the load is you are towing.

James
RSD
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what's the reason for running the default timing? I'm new when it comes to diesel tuning, but have some experience with gassers.

I started with SW1 default timing, but with the amount of rattle I figured id play it safe and knock the timing down a level from default. Truck seems to run fine with less noise, but I don't want to cause any issues by doing this. Thoughts?

2011 Deep Cherry Red, CC, G56, SouthBend OKHD, RaceME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjchris View Post
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what's the reason for running the default timing? I'm new when it comes to diesel tuning, but have some experience with gassers.

I started with SW1 default timing, but with the amount of rattle I figured id play it safe and knock the timing down a level from default. Truck seems to run fine with less noise, but I don't want to cause any issues by doing this. Thoughts?
Just run it on SW-2. The knock will go away and the truck will run much better. If you do plan to get on it from time to time, run it in Tow Haul to boost your line pressure in your tranny..

2010 CCSB 68rfe/4.10's-AFE deep pan-5" TBE/6" MBRP tip-MiniMaxx w/ OD unlock-S&B Intake-RECON lighting-BD intake horn-4" boost tube-20x10's/305's Toyo ATII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CumminsPwr89 For This Useful Post:
vb712 (08-02-2014)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
As stated earlier in this thread, leave the timing on default with any of the RaceMe tunes.

2010 CCSB 68rfe/4.10's-AFE deep pan-5" TBE/6" MBRP tip-MiniMaxx w/ OD unlock-S&B Intake-RECON lighting-BD intake horn-4" boost tube-20x10's/305's Toyo ATII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 AM

would it be the same thing with a smarty tuner to always use default timing? is it harder on the motor / head gasket using the most advanced timing?

12 CCLB 4in tb with muffler sinister egr delete. Sinister TV delete.EV2 pyro,boost,and fuel pressure. Smarty s67me. N tune.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsPwr89 View Post
As stated earlier in this thread, leave the timing on default with any of the RaceMe tunes.
That seems to be the general consensus, but what's the reasoning behind it?

I've ran with the different timing levels on SW1 and didn't see much of a difference in EGTs.

For right now, I have no need to run the higher HP tune. The truck (stock) had more than enough power to pull my loaded gooseneck. If the exhaust brake worked on SW0, I'd be running that.

2011 Deep Cherry Red, CC, G56, SouthBend OKHD, RaceME
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Diesel Freak

ive found the default timing gets me the best milage and power. yes the motor seems to have a little more rattle to it but seems no worse than any other new cummins motor ive run from 4cylinders all the way up to 605 hp isx motors in semis. ive got over 45000km with my Race Me on my 12 now and have tried every settin it has and it stays on default timing. the motor makes less noise with other timing settings but has never given me the same results mpg wise as the default. HG issues seem to be nonexistent with this tuner as long as you warm up the truck before gettin on it hard. ill be puttin studs in soon for future plans but ive run the piss outta my truck and towed way over weight and yet to have issues my truck jis keeps comin back for more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

(Sold)2012 3500 laramie g56, 95 5.9 12v 4x4 2500, 92 250 5.9 12v 2wd.
The Following User Says Thank You to bryce3685 For This Useful Post:
BUCKWHEET (03-09-2016)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjchris View Post
That seems to be the general consensus, but what's the reasoning behind it?

I've ran with the different timing levels on SW1 and didn't see much of a difference in EGTs.

For right now, I have no need to run the higher HP tune. The truck (stock) had more than enough power to pull my loaded gooseneck. If the exhaust brake worked on SW0, I'd be running that.
if you have no EB on swo change versions if your runnin E go back to D or C to get it back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

(Sold)2012 3500 laramie g56, 95 5.9 12v 4x4 2500, 92 250 5.9 12v 2wd.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 PM

I bought a used 2010 and spent the next three weeks at the dealership. After they fixed the o2 sensors, I was averaging 14mpg. Did what I had to do. Now I run sw1 with default timing. I know about the injector rattle that you are talking about, and tried different timing values. E-mailed the manufacture, and he said to run default timing for the best economy. Sw 1 on default was not going to hurt anything. I do drive pretty conservative, but with a little technique, I now just hit an average of 20MPG. Truck sounds great too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode