6.7 L Fuel economy - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2010, 77K, H&S mini max on no power and DPF delete pipe running from Niagara Falls to CT last week keeping the MPH under 75 running cruise set at 70 most of the time I was getting 20mpg. I live 62 miles away from work and only have to go in every third day so a tank lasts me 2 weeks. That highway coupled with the back and forth town driving for errands and kids sports I average anywhere between 17-18.4. If I drive responsibly I can keep it in the 18's if I avoid the hills but if I'm running it with eb on and playing with it to listen to her it'll drop to the 17's.

With that said I never hot dog my truck or hammer down. I've never spun the tires or run it full throttle and never had the MM above no power. Too afraid of the weak links in the drive train now that I'm deleted.

Just my .02 take it for what it's worth

2010 CC Laramie bone stock but not for long, finally in a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Diesel Head

2012 3500 CC LB ... Truck has about a 1000 miles and she is bone stock. My last trip to Atlantic city and back to LI which is about 350 miles I averaged high 14s.

Hoping to delete sometime in the future... 20mpg here I come...

12 3500 DRW //94 Supra Turbo//\\13 V-Rod \\15 Viper GT\\15 IS350 FSport
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Toyota and Cummins Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie63 View Post
I'm looking for some feedback on what type of fuel economy 6.7L owners are getting. Real world type of info, not dealer or manufacturer "suggested" efficiencies. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I presently own an 05' 5.9L and get in the high teens, and logic tells me bigger engine, less mileage. Thanks! Muck Aloha...
All stock, nothing deleted. I get 18.6 on the highway. In rural areas, about 16. Less in town. I have a CC LB, 6 speed manual and 3.42 axle ratio. (I ordered this combo for peak mileage, I wont tow over 5000 lbs, but can still tow almost 13,000) I will delete when its closer to 5 yrs old and should get over 20. If i reset it and run highway, i will get over 20 if I dont have a regen.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD G56 6SPD Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Laramie Alloys, "Powerwagon" flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Pro Tech Toolbox, Licensed "Extra" class HAM operator, Ranger RCI-2950 10-11-12 meter all mode ham radio/CB, co-phased 4 foot Firestick Firefly 5/8 wave antennas. Yaesu FT7800 2m/70cm VHF/UHF-FM Ham Radio, Larsen NMO2/70C mounted dual band VHF/UHF antenna, Alinco DR-06 6 meter VHF FM, Larsen NMO50C 1/4 wave antenna, 150 PSI on board air system, air powered 157 db train horns!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 PM

I have 2011.5 3500 CC 4x4,3.73 automatic with the HO engine
Hwy at 60-70 I get 18.5 mpg - I use cruise control as much as possible
City 12-13mpg
Towing 10.5 -12mpg

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueblueNYR View Post
2010, 77K, H&S mini max on no power and DPF delete pipe running from Niagara Falls to CT last week keeping the MPH under 75 running cruise set at 70 most of the time I was getting 20mpg. I live 62 miles away from work and only have to go in every third day so a tank lasts me 2 weeks. That highway coupled with the back and forth town driving for errands and kids sports I average anywhere between 17-18.4. If I drive responsibly I can keep it in the 18's if I avoid the hills but if I'm running it with eb on and playing with it to listen to her it'll drop to the 17's.

With that said I never hot dog my truck or hammer down. I've never spun the tires or run it full throttle and never had the MM above no power. Too afraid of the weak links in the drive train now that I'm deleted.

Just my .02 take it for what it's worth

your pushing 850 ft lbs of torque and you have never spun your tires!??
you have never took your 1000$ programmer past stock settings!?!???

..i'm pretty sure I spun the tires on the test drive... xD

'12 6.7 HO 3.73's automatic, leveled, 35x12.50Toyo MTs, 20" monsters,
[DELETE] Sinister EGR/Cooler, CCV filter, CAT, DPF, muffler [/DELETE]
5" Diamond Eye TBE, 6" tip, h&s Mini Maxx, h&s OD trans tune.
post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Cummins Fan

I was so disappointed in the CTD power levels stock I almost left it at the dealer. ( Coming from a '10 1/2 ton CC 5.7 that was chipped/exhaust etc).
Glad I listened to my head that said I need big tq to pull loads for work lol.

Never spun my tires on the test drive (because they wouldn't lol) but now with the deletes etc it's much less of an issue

Empty on why I get 22+ (3.73 in a 3500 cc 4x4). Pretty strong #'s for this size of vehicle. 285/60/18 rubber, at 70mph.

2013 RAM 2500 Limited
2013 CVO Road Glide
2011 AMG C63
post #31 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Cummins Fan

My '12 is getting 18-21 mpg empty and running 55 mph on two lanes (post deletes). I run it with MM on 'mild'. No smoke, no complaints. I think the mileage is phenomenal for an 8000 lb truck. My Ford Crown Vic driving the same way gets 22-23mpg and it weighs 3600 lbs.
Before deletes, 14-15 mpg on the same drive.
How the government EPA officials can justify burning all this extra diesel fuel in these small trucks and the big rigs, and at the same time reducing their reliability with all the electronic malfunctions and limp modes is beyond my plain simple farmer thinking. You see em shut down everywhere with smog related problems. CAT is having troubles with it, John Deere has developed a separate diesel injector and pump just to squirt diesel directly into the DPF instead of the way Cummins 6.7 injects it on the exhaust stroke within the motor and blows the raw fuel back to the DPF using existing injector equip and only adding a signal to the ECM to activate it. It is crazy to me. Everyone is injecting precious, expensive motor fuel into their DPF soot filters to burn off soot. They also inject Urea, I am not sure where, which I read Cummins is also going to do that too. Another expensive non highway related substance used to do what? Ever watch a video of a volcano belching all that smoke and ash for days into the atmosphere? No DPF on them! I'd like to throw the EPA in the stuff.
Gookie likes this.

2012 6.7 Cummins diesel Ram 2500 std cab, 4X4, 6spd manual, 3.73 posi, something underneath fell off at 5k miles with Rollin Smoke Diesel and H&S helped me out.

Last edited by 2500 Dodge; 07-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.
post #32 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Diesel Head

^^ more and more I read about the deletes, the more and more I want to rip that crap off the truck. How does EPA evaluate this... If each diesel truck out there is giving less gas mileage we are burning through our fossil fuels at a faster rate.

If we rip this crap out, we get better mileage but what do our NOx emissions go upto? I really want to understand the benefit of this stuff to the environment... Maybe a tree huger blindly said... Let's reduce NOx levels no matter what downstream impacts it has... Or, let's screw the little guys and leave the big rigs as they are cause the feature benefit is non existent when considering the loss of mileage on the big rigs.

post #33 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Cummins Fan

No, the big riggers are running the same DPF systems we are, only bigger..And yes they are having hell with them too along with horrible fuel economy. The only difference is they sue, since downtime to a trucker is livelyhood going up in smoke, or soot. I have a friend who works for CAT, and they are working on lawsuits from truckers and trucking companies all the time for downtime resulting from emissions equipment failures.
I would like to think the air is better since the arrival of the DPF, EGR, and Cat Converter, but I seriously doubt it, and since they regen so much and burn so much extra diesel, I would bet the air quality is worse.

2012 6.7 Cummins diesel Ram 2500 std cab, 4X4, 6spd manual, 3.73 posi, something underneath fell off at 5k miles with Rollin Smoke Diesel and H&S helped me out.
post #34 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Cummins Nut

19.5mpg on flat highway @ 65mph. This is running on stock power and default timing with an XRT pro. I drive like an old man though. Mods are in my sig.
post #35 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500 Dodge View Post
No, the big riggers are running the same DPF systems we are, only bigger..And yes they are having hell with them too along with horrible fuel economy. The only difference is they sue, since downtime to a trucker is livelyhood going up in smoke, or soot. I have a friend who works for CAT, and they are working on lawsuits from truckers and trucking companies all the time for downtime resulting from emissions equipment failures.
I would like to think the air is better since the arrival of the DPF, EGR, and Cat Converter, but I seriously doubt it, and since they regen so much and burn so much extra diesel, I would bet the air quality is worse.
Wow, didn't know this has resulted in lawsuits. So, is there a chart to see the what's the break even point for the additional diesel consumption vs NOx emissions? I'm sure if you drive less than a certain amount of miles a year, then your impact on the environment will be less without the emissions crap on your truck.

post #36 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Diesel Freak

Its like a class action suit between the big riggers and the epa. The emission standards are reducting mileage and creates maintenance woes. Since you can only put a price on fuel usage and repair and not so much environmental impact, its a tough argument on either side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode