sheared off a tie rod today - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
 
toyota_mdt_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,337
Thanks: 306
Thanked 171 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its a Diesel Punk!! View Post
yeah right,,hes fighting with them about this
And I cant figure out why he is fighting wth them. I suspect he is the one with a 2010 and only 6,000 miles when it snapped. Dodge dealer doesnt have the right to deny his warranty Period. And Chrysler had better not deny it. I dont know how these guys get away with denying warranty. Its criminal.


2010 Dodge 2500 SLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD G56 6SPD Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Laramie Alloys, "Powerwagon" flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Pro Tech Toolbox, Licensed "Extra" class HAM operator, Ranger RCI-2950 10-11-12 meter all mode ham radio/CB, co-phased 4 foot Firestick Firefly 5/8 wave antennas. Yaesu FT7800 2m/70cm VHF/UHF-FM Ham Radio, Larsen NMO2/70C mounted dual band VHF/UHF antenna, Alinco DR-06 6 meter VHF FM, Larsen NMO50C 1/4 wave antenna, 150 PSI on board air system, air powered 157 db train horns!
toyota_mdt_tech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Cummins Fanatic
 
RRudzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pa
Posts: 146
Thanks: 19
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
And I cant figure out why he is fighting wth them. I suspect he is the one with a 2010 and only 6,000 miles when it snapped. Dodge dealer doesnt have the right to deny his warranty Period. And Chrysler had better not deny it. I dont know how these guys get away with denying warranty. Its criminal.
Yes, I am the one. The Dealer that denied the repair claims that I had hit something to cause the tie rod end to break. I argued with them, with no results. I called chrysler customer service and they called the dealer and they supported the dealers claim that i had damaged it. Now I am on a mission. lol. I just received a phone call this morning @ 8:30 am from the Ram marketing group that has taken over my case. I will keep everyone updated on this dangerous matter. Let me add that when it snapped i was in 4x4 backing out of a spot. So since the roads had snow on them the dealer assumes I had hit something.

2010 Dodge Ram Cummins 4x4 2500 CCLB ,RaceME Pro, Diablo Power Puck, 5" TBE, Sinister EGR Delete, S&B Air Intake, Zone Offroad 2.5 Level Kit ,AMP Research Power Boards, Firestone Airbags, 285-70-17 Firestone Destination MT's
RRudzi is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Diesel Freak
 
dzlbudman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 519
Thanks: 201
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thats pathetic

Stolen 05 R.I.P
Play:15'-F250-Platinum-FX4-Powerstroke
dzlbudman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Diesel Freak
 
Sweet Action's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 779
Thanks: 65
Thanked 181 Times in 100 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Chrysler is so worthless. There gonna end up getting sued. There hanging on a thread and like this will pull them under.

2017 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 68RFE
Sold - 2010 2500 SLT Big Horn CCSB 4x4, G56
Sweet Action is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
 
toyota_mdt_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,337
Thanks: 306
Thanked 171 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoKilo View Post
Chrysler is so worthless. There gonna end up getting sued. There hanging on a thread and like this will pull them under.
Was there any evidence showing you had hit something, ie a bent relay rod, a bent rim? And do they have proof that the failure was a result of an impact? The answer is no. They denied it based on specualtion (guess) and they dont have a leg to stand on. As a dealer tech myself, Toyota would never deny a claim. If something broke and you fit into the guidelines of the warranty period, its covered. We even covered a Toyota Matrix with nitrous and a manual tranny. He exploded the manual tranny. We covered it, after he rip out 2 clutches whioch we covered. He did finally rip out a 2nd tranny and was told to take a hike. He was warned after the first exploded tranny, he woiuld be done on tranny replacements. It upsets me, I just bought my first ever Mopig product. I said I'd never buy a Mopig product, but wanted a diesel and loved the Cummins. And it was only available on Mopig. Otherwise, I could never even fathom ever buying anything Chrysler, especially a high dollar "new" truck. I would like to know the outcome. I'm fortunate, I have a friend who works as a tech at a Dodge dealer and he said he would take care of any issues. But knowing if I was away from tha dealer and had trouble under warranty and the thought they would deny me based on specualtion irritates me.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD G56 6SPD Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Laramie Alloys, "Powerwagon" flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Pro Tech Toolbox, Licensed "Extra" class HAM operator, Ranger RCI-2950 10-11-12 meter all mode ham radio/CB, co-phased 4 foot Firestick Firefly 5/8 wave antennas. Yaesu FT7800 2m/70cm VHF/UHF-FM Ham Radio, Larsen NMO2/70C mounted dual band VHF/UHF antenna, Alinco DR-06 6 meter VHF FM, Larsen NMO50C 1/4 wave antenna, 150 PSI on board air system, air powered 157 db train horns!

Last edited by toyota_mdt_tech; 01-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
toyota_mdt_tech is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
 
toyota_mdt_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,337
Thanks: 306
Thanked 171 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRudzi View Post
Yes, I am the one. The Dealer that denied the repair claims that I had hit something to cause the tie rod end to break. I argued with them, with no results. I called chrysler customer service and they called the dealer and they supported the dealers claim that i had damaged it. Now I am on a mission. lol. I just received a phone call this morning @ 8:30 am from the Ram marketing group that has taken over my case. I will keep everyone updated on this dangerous matter. Let me add that when it snapped i was in 4x4 backing out of a spot. So since the roads had snow on them the dealer assumes I had hit something.
From the location of these breaks, here is my theory. Where the threaded stud goes through the knuckle, its shearing at the botom. This could be from not torqued enough, then the sharp end fron the tapered bore at the bottom is slightliy cutting into the stud, creating a stress riser. Or the tapered bore was not honed and relieved of the sharp edge cutting in, even when tight creating a stress riser (stress riser is any nick, a place where crack will start)

Then add the extra weight from a diesel engine under slow speeds creates the greatest stress which ends up snapping it. I have a buddy who had his break in his hemi powered 1500. Stopped, turning in a parking lot. A 2008 model. Because of the severe danger this could cause, this should be a high priority and should be a mandatory recall. They are risking lives to save some money, in th eend, it could cost them lots more. Its like tripping over a dollar to save a nickel. I feel uncomfortable driving mine down the road now, and dont even have 2000 miles on it yet. I know its coming, just "when"

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD G56 6SPD Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Laramie Alloys, "Powerwagon" flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Pro Tech Toolbox, Licensed "Extra" class HAM operator, Ranger RCI-2950 10-11-12 meter all mode ham radio/CB, co-phased 4 foot Firestick Firefly 5/8 wave antennas. Yaesu FT7800 2m/70cm VHF/UHF-FM Ham Radio, Larsen NMO2/70C mounted dual band VHF/UHF antenna, Alinco DR-06 6 meter VHF FM, Larsen NMO50C 1/4 wave antenna, 150 PSI on board air system, air powered 157 db train horns!
toyota_mdt_tech is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
 
Shibbyutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Superior Township, Michigan
Posts: 11,934
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,311 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
From the location of these breaks, here is my theory. Where the threaded stud goes through the knuckle, its shearing at the botom. This could be from not torqued enough, then the sharp end fron the tapered bore at the bottom is slightliy cutting into the stud, creating a stress riser. Or the tapered bore was not honed and relieved of the sharp edge cutting in, even when tight creating a stress riser (stress riser is any nick, a place where crack will start)

Then add the extra weight from a diesel engine under slow speeds creates the greatest stress which ends up snapping it. I have a buddy who had his break in his hemi powered 1500. Stopped, turning in a parking lot. A 2008 model. Because of the severe danger this could cause, this should be a high priority and should be a mandatory recall. They are risking lives to save some money, in th eend, it could cost them lots more. Its like tripping over a dollar to save a nickel. I feel uncomfortable driving mine down the road now, and dont even have 2000 miles on it yet. I know its coming, just "when"
Most of them are wearing in a spot where it necks down between the ball and taper just because of how the linkage lays when unloaded on the truck, Just off center the linkage moves down so the link socket actually rubs on the stud.... I think there were pics posted in another thread of this.

There is a solution, but the adjusting sleeves need to be loosened and the joints need to be shifted so the linkage can't lay at one extreme or another.

Back in the common snail game. 03 SO 2wd 530,000 miles and counting.
11 3500 Laramie DRW 2wd deep forest green pearl
Friends don't let friends buy VP trucks....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Shibbyutman is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
 
Shibbyutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Superior Township, Michigan
Posts: 11,934
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,311 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
here is one, you can see all the way to the left on the socket where it is worn.

Better with all the grease removed.... you can see here that he housing isn't even round any more. Almost like it was binding, which could have exacerbated the load already on the joint contributing to breakage.

Back in the common snail game. 03 SO 2wd 530,000 miles and counting.
11 3500 Laramie DRW 2wd deep forest green pearl
Friends don't let friends buy VP trucks....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Shibbyutman is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Diesel Head
 
UNDER-PRESSURE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,052
Thanks: 410
Thanked 430 Times in 300 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRudzi View Post
Yes, I am the one. The Dealer that denied the repair claims that I had hit something to cause the tie rod end to break. I argued with them, with no results. I called chrysler customer service and they called the dealer and they supported the dealers claim that i had damaged it. Now I am on a mission. lol. I just received a phone call this morning @ 8:30 am from the Ram marketing group that has taken over my case. I will keep everyone updated on this dangerous matter. Let me add that when it snapped i was in 4x4 backing out of a spot. So since the roads had snow on them the dealer assumes I had hit something.
I recieved another B.S. phone call today also. The caller will have to talk to his supervisor yet again.

2018 FORD F-150 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow 2wd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UNDER-PRESSURE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome