Exhaust Brake ?'s Cant find The correct Answers - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Brake ?'s Cant find The correct Answers

I have a few simple Exhaust Brake ?'s that I am finding conflicting answers too, I would like a real diesel expert to chime in please and set the record straight.

1. Does turning on the Exhaust Brake after a cold start help or hurt with regards to heating up the motor to operating temperature.

2. Will using the Exhaust Brake all the time Increase or Decrease MPG.

3. Will Using the Exhaust Brake all the time Increase or Decrease the life of the Turbo and motor.

Also if it makes a difference am looking for answers geared toward a completely deleted truck. 2010 3500 H&S 5" Exhaust, EGR/Cooler Delete, Banks Intake, XRT Pro.

2010 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngr2001 View Post
I have a few simple Exhaust Brake ?'s that I am finding conflicting answers too, I would like a real diesel expert to chime in please and set the record straight.

1. Does turning on the Exhaust Brake after a cold start help or hurt with regards to heating up the motor to operating temperature.

In your owners manual it says it will help in-heating up your cold motor.

yes, a small decrease but it is very little as it limits some of the coasting, as wants to slow you down, but your break pads will last longer

3. Will Using the Exhaust Brake all the time Increase or Decrease the life of the Turbo and motor.
It seams to help with longevity as it helps to keep the turbo clear of soot.

Also if it makes a difference am looking for answers geared toward a completely deleted truck. 2010 3500 H&S 5" Exhaust, EGR/Cooler Delete, Banks Intake, XRT Pro.
Delete it, it will last longer and run better.
$0.02
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:

as far as i know the EB helps with warm up i dont know about MPG and life of the turbo is longer if you delete the EPA crap so your in good shape only unanswered question would be MPG hope this helps

2010, 2500 CC, SB, Auto, brilliant black, MM, 5" Flo-Pro TBE, DPF & Egr deleted,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Carli Leveling and 35" Nitto's on stockers, Windows all @ 5%, MCC by Dave @ DD and loving it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Yes this info does help, however the only issues I see now are that AutoStart does not turn on the exhaust brake. So If i want to heat up the motor faster I would have to get out in the cold and press the stupid button. Is it possible that H&S could provide a hack for this via the XRT Pro.

Also im still not convinced that using the turbo and motor to slow you down wont put more uncessary stress and fatigue on the turbo and motor. Why save your brakes which are wear & tear throw out cheap items when compared to your turbo & motor. Does using your Exhaust brake all the time increase or decrease the temp of the oil running through the turbo, if it increases the temps then overall thats bad espcially when you shut her down.

2010 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

When it's cold, your truck will automatically in-gauge the high idle feature, turn on your heated seats and heated steering wheel. Your truck should be well on its way to being warm when you go get in it.

I run my EB on all the time. I would rather not have a turbo and EGR plugged up with soot every time I turn around. Unless you delete all the emissions stuff, you best consider running with the EB on all the time. Besides.....it sounds pretty cool.

2010, 2500 MC, 4x4, 6.7, AEM gauges, H&S EGR/Cooler delete, Flo-Pro DPF delete pipe, CAT delete, Smarty JR67ME SW #2, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, ARE Topper, spray-in bed liner with bed slide, Galaxy DX 929 CB radio, BFG AT KO's 285/70/17 on Vision 375 Warrior wheels, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, AirDog II 165, S&B CAI, Mag-Hytec differential covers & transmission pan, Custom Diesel Steering Stabilizer / Brace
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 PM

My EB used to come on if the truck was warming up in park if I engaged the switch (sounded awesome with a straight pipe)... for some reason now it will not engage at idle or high idle... Any ideas why?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:

According to page 43 of the diesel supplement to the owners' manual, it helps with warm-up.

2010 2500HD Big Horn, 4X4, CC, LB, 3:73, AT, Rugged Brown Pearl coat, still stock, still runs great. Ladies, If a man says he'll fix it, he will; so don't keep reminding him about it every 6 months!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Diesel Freak

MPG..

If you drive with it on and use it to do 90% of the stopping I find I get a little more mpg. Reasons being that I drive more conservative so I don't have to use the brake pedal until just before I stop. Same with freeway driving. I'm not in a 2010 but it applies across the board.

The fuel I save doing that helps offset things enough that I can STOMP ON IT when needed!

04.5 QdCB 4X4 AT, Spr "B" Special, 'Pusher' int horn, PacBrake, Edge w/Att, S&B Cool air, FASS + 2 micron, 4" MBRP, 35 Toyo MT's, air bags, spr hitch, B&W hitch, BD Trani parts, 1 pc Alum DL, guages, lock up switch, smk switch, hrn blstrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode