Do you have to add oil between changes? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Do you have to add oil between changes?

Just curious if the new trucks use any oil between changes.
My last Chevy was a new 8.1 gas and it burned oil from day one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Diesel Head

You'll probably find that your new truck will "make oil". Do some reading on the topic in the 6.7 section you'll find some good info about fuel dilution.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy3008 View Post
Just curious if the new trucks use any oil between changes.
My last Chevy was a new 8.1 gas and it burned oil from day one.
thats funny, i have a 2001 2500hd with the vortec 8.1 and it always has used oil!! its got a little over 204,xxx mi. and its still a strong runnin truck!!

and the guy is right about seeing your oil level creep up the dipstick.... youll get some fuel over in the oil between changes.... i monitor my oil levels from time to time.

2011 Ram 4x4 3500 DRW Laramie, airaid CAI. BIG "Pavement Princess"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
roo
GOD IS GOOD

H&S and problem solved...no more oil rise, fuel dilution, soot in your very expensive motor and better MPG's

I KNOW and Maybe No More Warranty..but it is well worth it IMO

2014 4x4 3500 Laramie Long Horn Mega, Aisin tranny w/ 4.10 gears, BDS 4" Lift w/ FOX 2.0 shocks, American Force 22" wheels, Nitto Trail Grappler MTs "325x50r22", Recon LED smoked cab & Bed marker lights, Road Armor Bumper w/warn 12k winch, Rigid 30" LED light Bar, CREE LED Fogs "Edge From RSD In The Near Future"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo View Post
H&S and problem solved...no more oil rise, fuel dilution, soot in your very expensive motor and better MPG's

I KNOW and Maybe No More Warranty..but it is well worth it IMO
X2!

Gal 2:20
2010 MC Laramie 68 Auto 2500 4x4, HBS, ARP, Bilsteins, Toyos, Mini, OD, Shibby TVD, MCC by Me, Yaesu & Kenwood
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4racing56 View Post
thats funny, i have a 2001 2500hd with the vortec 8.1 and it always has used oil!! its got a little over 204,xxx mi. and its still a strong runnin truck!!

and the guy is right about seeing your oil level creep up the dipstick.... youll get some fuel over in the oil between changes.... i monitor my oil levels from time to time.
You know, I LOVED my 8.1.
Honestly, if GM would still put it in a one ton, I would have bought one in a heartbeat.
I sell mine off at 100K, so the added expense of the diesel doesn't really pay for me.
That being said, my new truck is definitely a lot nicer than my last!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
You know, I LOVED my 8.1.
Honestly, if GM would still put it in a one ton, I would have bought one in a heartbeat.
I sell mine off at 100K, so the added expense of the diesel doesn't really pay for me.
That being said, my new truck is definitely a lot nicer than my last!
we use our 8.1 as a runner truck and around the warehouse a ton! the thing really is great. ONLY problem out of it at 200k is the exahust manifold is leaking but you can only hear it when u start it! other than that the 8.1 is one of my favorite gasser engines!! not really that bad on fuel econ either!

i came from d-max to my current cummins... gotta say i am not looking back!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4racing56 View Post
we use our 8.1 as a runner truck and around the warehouse a ton! the thing really is great. ONLY problem out of it at 200k is the exahust manifold is leaking but you can only hear it when u start it! other than that the 8.1 is one of my favorite gasser engines!! not really that bad on fuel econ either!

i came from d-max to my current cummins... gotta say i am not looking back!
Mine was a dually with the 6 speed manual, 4.10's. On the highway empty, that 8.1 would get 14 MPG hand calculated.
My new cummins with a 6 speed manual and 3.42's only gets me 16.
I'm in the show horse business and it still amazes me that all these people wouldn't buy the big blocks over the years, because until you hit 100K, the gasser is a much better buy. And actually, with diesel being so expensive now, it might even be better up to 125K+.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Mine was a dually with the 6 speed manual, 4.10's. On the highway empty, that 8.1 would get 14 MPG hand calculated.
My new cummins with a 6 speed manual and 3.42's only gets me 16.
I'm in the show horse business and it still amazes me that all these people wouldn't buy the big blocks over the years, because until you hit 100K, the gasser is a much better buy. And actually, with diesel being so expensive now, it might even be better up to 125K+.
oh yeah... it takes a long time to make up that money from buying a diesel! my 3500 drw cummins is on the average getting only 13.5 mpg. that 8.1 does that easy!

But hey i wanted a diesel So i paid for it!

Not going to put any of the Yahoos who work for me in a diesel pickup to drive thats for sure!! haha I really hate that GM doesnt have the 8.1 anymore theese 6.0 we have now arent near the 8.1 and get the same fuel economy for the most part! oh well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode