oil change question. - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Funny that the symbols would tell you to not fill the filter until after the previous symbols tell you how to install and tighten it.
Certainly, it's not a requirement to fill the filter. But they aren't saying that it hurts anything either, except the silly assumption that new oil is unfiltered and dirty.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't want us simple folk to spill oil on ourselves, slip and fall, and then sue them.
Maybe they even assume that some folk will want to add oil from an open 5 gallon bucket out on the farm somewhere, who knows?

'05 QC DRW flatbed, 6sp manual, 85k miles, silencer ring MIA.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD67L View Post
The distributor is correct. Pre-filling the oil filter puts unfiltered oil on the clean side of the filtering media. The oil pump on will fill the oil filter very quickly, within a second or two. Therefore, the recommended practice by many engine manufacturers is to not pre-fill the oil filter.
Well then, I guess I just lost all respect for Baldwin tech support, because that is pure horse manure. I'd be much more worried about initial flow and media collapse than having clean oil in the filter. The lube system flows many gallons per minute while running. The alleged issue of a quart-and-a-half of "unfiltered" oil present at startup as rationale for not pre-filling a filter is just ludicrous.

1stGen:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Commonrail:
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Diesel Head

I'm sure it's been covered but the owners manual says to pre-fill the filter. or am I seeing things

Next why would you be so worried about the un filtered oil in the filter? I know with the foil on top of some of the oil jugs and some people not being careful and letting this foil get into the filter and clogging the oil galley.

These other reasons not to pre-fill are hogwash.

Where do you pour the oil into your engine? This "unfiltered oil has already been all over your valve-train.

This "unfiltered" oil is clean unless "you" contaminated it.

Pre-fill your filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Now that we got that settled is it30 yet?

03 3500 H.O.| QC/LB|SRW|4x4|NV5600|Leveled|BFG AT 315/70/17|SmartyTNT|Valair DD|ADII 165|5"TBE w/ Aero 5050XL|Willy's Whistler|Banks Monster Ram|AutoMeter Boost,Pyro,FP,RP|HE351|440/900 Gone but not Forgotten
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Diesel Freak

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH9405 View Post
The steps don't match correctly if that was the intended message. Here's how I see it:

1. Remove filter/clean base
2. Lube the seal/PRE-FILL the filter
3. Hand tighten filter
4. Add 1 turn
5. Check for leaks
6. Dispose of properly

If #5 was a "do not pre-fill" message, it would be step #2. That reply from the Baldwin guy is probably a generic reply to the question of "do I HAVE to prefill the filter".
I don't see how prefilling can possibly harm a filter. For me to believe it, I need a good reason. My .02
DING DING DING. We have a winner. Symbol #5 on the Baldwin filters does mean "Check for leaks." Per Travis at Baldwin tech support. He said as long as you do not use a pressurized nozzle to fill the filter, there is no harm in pre-filling. If your re-using oil, which must be a common practice for OTR drivers, you should pre-fill through the little inlet holes as opposed to the threaded outlet hole. This keeps contaminants on the "dirty" side of the filter. If using new oil, it doesn't matter.
Finally...

'10 2500 Laramie CCSB BBCP 4X4 68RFE, 285/70-17 Dueler Revo 2's, Black Maxx w/ MCC and OverDrive, 4" TBE w/ 5" tip, Airaid Intake w/ SynthaMax filter, AMP Power Steps.
The dealer said my truck needed new sparkplugs
6>8
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
can all of us that said to pre-fill the frickin' filter give ourselves a pat on the back yet or is this thing going to continue?

2010 2500 ST Crew Cab Long Bed
Bright Silver Metallic
4X4 / G56 / 3.73's / Limited-Slip
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopared View Post
can all of us that said to pre-fill the frickin' filter give ourselves a pat on the back yet or is this thing going to continue?
I agree 100%! Yes, you get an A+, so give yourself a pat on the back, then have some cookies and milk.

Terry : ) - US Navy Retired

2016 F150 Platinum 4x4 (Stop Laughing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode