2016 68RFE Temp - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2016 68RFE Temp

I just bought my first diesel about 2 weeks ago (2016 ram 3500 crew cab/long bed). I had the dealer take it to a local shop (highly rated) to have it checked out as I live 400 miles away. They said everything looked good. On the way home, I was flipping through the gauges and saw that the trans temp was 204 degrees with no load driving through Illinois (flat) with outside temps at about 32.

I took it to my local transmission guy and he checked it out. He said the converter is locking up nicely right as it shifts into 3rd and other than a slightly rough 3/2 downshift (which he corrected by adding the latest CPU update), everything looked great, including the fluid. He said he couldnít really even recommend a fluid change. He said some of the newer transmissions are running warmer.

Everything Iím seeing on the forum suggests thatís too hot for normal driving. I bought the truck to pull my 9k camper. Honestly Iím a little nervous to do so now, even though with the 3.42 rear end, I have a towing capacity of 17,550.

Thought?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:39 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Get one of these....Revmax makes one too...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 7500XL Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Cummins Nut

Cooler bypass is probably sticking. Is the truck stock and what is the mileage and service history for the trans?

18 Ram 2500 Big Horn 68rfe, CPS tune w/ aftermarket trans tune, Revmax vb, thuren springs w/ fox 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:41 PM
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance

Garage
Was 204 the warmest it got then dropped?

The bypass mentioned is cheap insurance if there was a potential issue with yours.

2013 Ram 2500
John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I was kind of suspecting the bypass valve but figured my trans guy would have suggested it. Might be looking for a new shop.
It has 158,500 and is all stock. Bought it at a dealership but they didnít get any service records from the previous owner. On my trip back to Wi from Ohio where I bought it, is when I noticed it at 204. It did come down to 199 and pretty much stayed there. Since Iíve had her back, on my hour ride to work, it gradually gets up to 190-195, a couple times to 199.
Thank you all.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Dodge engineers added that bypass valve to preheat the fluid. Any reason to not stick with an OEM replacement?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eda262 View Post
Dodge engineers added that bypass valve to preheat the fluid. Any reason to not stick with an OEM replacement?
It is there for a couple of reasons...faster heat up, milage improvement, etc...

The max tow trucks have had coolant-to-trans fluid heat exchangers too. The fluid goes to the coolant exchanger first then on to the fluid-to-air cooler up front. The coolant has a higher heat capacity than air, so you try to take a big "chunk" of heat out before going to the air exchanger.

My 2012 doesn't have a TBV from the factory, it goes straight to the air-to-fluid cooler in the front of the truck.

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 7500XL Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:55 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
I am of the opinion, the cooler the better. On the very rare cold days here in DFW (20F), it either won't lockup the convertor or go into the higher gears until the fluid heats above 50F(?) if I recall correctly. I don't recall exactly what it did, just had higher RPMs on the freeway until the fluid warmed up some and it shifted or locked the convertor.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 12:53 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I would start by changing the trans fluid. My trans runs warmer when the fluid gets around 100k on it.

2011 F-350, 4x4, CC, LB, SRW, Camper Package, 6" lift w/ 37x12.50R20 Toyo R/T's, ATX Legend Wheels, Airlift Bags w/ Daystar Cups, H&S Blackmaxx, Flo Pro 5", No Limits Stage 2 intake, PMF Traction Bars
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 01:33 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Normal operating temperature for the 68rfe transmission in my 2015 is 164įf. My suggestion would be to replace the bypass valve but if you have an infrared thermometer it is easy to check. Drive the truck just long enough to get the trans temp to stabilize then pull over and with the vehicle still running take temp readings from all 4 lines on the bypass valve. Both outflow should be the same temp and both return should be cooler. If the lines on the trans cooler side are both cooler than the lines on the transmission side then the bypass valve is stuck closed and must be replaced. Good luck with it.

Also, IMHO 100k miles between transmission fluid changes is excessive. YMMV

2015 Ram Laramie CC 2500 4x4 CTD auto in Western Brown
Mods: Undercover Elite hard tonneau, Bedrug, LED tail light strip, Amp power step, AAM finned dif cover, back seat mod, cabin air filter added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode