Grid Heater Delete - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Grid Heater Delete

Looking for some insight here - I am going to be deleting my grid heater and associated (remote) possibility of the bolt issue happening to my truck. I keep it in a heated garage, and have it plugged in if needed when I am traveling (which is very rare). Startups never are below 40 degrees even in the dead of winter and my coolant temp never seems to go below 65/70 degrees in the garage during these months. Justification enough in my mind to delete it - cheap insurance.

I am wondering once this is done if I will throw the associated lack of arc / communication code. Do I need to disconnect the ground on my solenoid to avoid this? I am in the habbit of letting my pump "prime" if you will and do not want to have my only way of avoiding a code being to instantly fire up my truck. Truck has been to mexico for reference.

Appreciate any / all insight

The Following User Says Thank You to Jkysh For This Useful Post:
Thatdarncat (01-18-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:35 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
When I talked with a tuner a while back before mine came off, I was told it would need to be tuned out to avoid throwing a CEL. Iíve had mine out in sub-freezing (though not by much) nights before and while it may take an extra turn or two, it still fires just fine without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, grid delete, fleabay elbow, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, Mishimoto stock replacement radiator.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Pozzinator For This Useful Post:
Thatdarncat (01-18-2020)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:18 PM
Diesel Head

Grid Heater Delete

Mine is disconnected at the solenoid. It has had hundreds of starts with no light. I am in TX so it does not get very cold very often. I let the lift pump run for a second or two before starting the truck to build some fuel pressure. Not sure if that is necessary but i feel better doing that for the CP3. I just remember to fire it off before the grid heater light goes off. This should abort the grid heater cycle and self test that throws the light. Ambient temp and coolant temp can also abort a cycle. For a year i turned the key instantly with the grid heater attached. It would skip the pre heat cycle but i still felt like it was cycling after startup. I can not confirm this 100% though. But, when the heater cycled the idle would change a bit. On past trucks the lights would dim. But, since i have the dual alternators this particular truck never dimmed the lights.
There has been several times i have forgotten and waited too long. This has yet to give me a light for whatever reason. I am also on factory batteries from 2015. The truck starts faster now down to our 20 degrees since the grid heater doesnít pull the batteries down before firing the truck like it did with the grid heater functioning. The trucks cold idle is the same as before i deleted the heater. There is no difference for me in TX at our temps.
My truck is stock for now. If it was tuned i would tune the grid heater out and still disconnect the relay.
2500/6 and Jimmy N. like this.

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Herzog View Post
Mine is disconnected at the solenoid. It has had hundreds of starts with no light. I am in TX so it does not get very cold very often. I let the lift pump run for a second or two before starting the truck to build some fuel pressure. ... I just remember to fire it off before the grid heater light goes off. This should abort the grid heater cycle and self test that throws the light. ....
Is there a way to skip the preheat cycle with pushbutton start?

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:50 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Ahh!! I read about the grid heater bolt thingy on the internet, so it must be true!

2017 4x4 2500
6.7 CTD 100% stock
33.700 miles
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post

Dont have that but i know there was a way to posted on the other grid heater thread. It was simple. I think it was just a second quick push of the button. Hopefully someone with that type can chime in.
Electrojake likes this.

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:55 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
It has had hundreds of starts with no light. I am in TX so it does not get very cold very often.
As I've mentioned on the other thread(s), mine's been disconnected for over a year, and it does get somewhat cold here. No problems yet.
Electrojake likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:42 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Dont have that but i know there was a way to posted on the other grid heater thread. It was simple. I think it was just a second quick push of the button. Hopefully someone with that type can chime in.
Hmmm. Didn't see that, but followed the other thread for some time. Will review again. Thanks!

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,422 Times in 2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post

Press the button again
Electrojake likes this.

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 PM
P2609 Fanatic

Thanked 1,287 Times in 1,052 Posts
And the dealer kept asking me why I was incessant on ordering my Longhorn 3500 with a 'key' start and NOT the push button start.
-Ej-
Jimmy N. likes this.

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 short-bed in Pearl White.
Cummins HO, AISIN, CrewCab, SRW, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
> Reduced current grid heater mod w/all emissions intact.<
*Hauling a 2017 Northstar Arrow-U.

Last edited by Electrojake; 01-19-2020 at 03:44 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSagetIsGod? View Post
Press the button again
Had not known that. Details, details. Thank you gentlemen.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Cummins Nut

If you immediately start the truck and skip the preheat the grid heater still cycles with the truck running. Watch your battery voltage, you can tell exactly when it cuts on and off.

2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Aisin transmission. 2006,six speed, Anarchy tunes, BBi 0.5 injectors, arp head studs,, cummins tuner he351/s475 compound, leveled, 35's, amp power steps, muffler delete, isspro ev2 fuel rail pressure, boost and pyro gauges, southbend dd 3250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode