Sounds like a bad u-joint but all the joints are solid. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like a bad u-joint but all the joints are solid.

At about 40kmh- 25-30mph i get a distinctive clack of a fubar ujoint. But none of the joints have play what so ever. The sound is consistent under power or coasting. DRW 2015 Megacab. Anyone hear/seen or fixed something similar to this yet? The noise is definitely external of the diffs and speed dependant. Maybe grenade’d park brake idk. Does the rear end need fricmod adjustments maybe? It seems to get more auditable when turn slightly right. Checked the wheel nuts and they are all good. Got the truck last month at 120,000km / 75,000mi been doing it since i got it. No indication of failing parts whatsoever. Thinking about pulling the rear wheels off to look at the park brakes next. But maybe this is a documented issue. Cant find anything on the forums yet though...

2015 DRW MegaCab Aisin 4x4
Full Delete w/Bullydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
2 piece driveshaft?

2016 Ram 3500 4wd Reg Cab G56 Power Wagon Build. 4.10 ARB f/r , BDS swaybar disconnect, CAD Delete, Dynatrac Freespins Carli 2.0 37x12.5R17 Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1 piece aluminum

Full Delete w/Bullydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Cummins Fan

When my u-joint started to die on the ‘16 I could only get movement out of it when the rear driveshaft was in 1 certain position... all the needles in one roller of the rear u-joint were gone.

It’s only the 4 bolts that hold the driveshaft to the rear diff, remove them and pull the shaft out. It will slide off the splines in the transfer case easily.

2019 RAM 3500 4x4 Tradesman 6.4 8HP75 CCSB 3.73
2016 RAM 3500 4x4 SLT 6.7 G56 RCLB 3.42 Dually (traded in)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,607 Posts
They can feel tight and be bad. Pull the shaft and check the caps.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 PM

Very difficult problem to chase, don’t throw many at chasing suspect parts. If you love you truck like I do then go ahead and buy yourself a set of chassis ears cause your going to have plenty of issues such as this with all the big moving parts these trucks consist of.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:26 PM

Don’t throw money.... Auto correct, sorry
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Since i started this thread i just kept trucking with the tunes cranked up. Another 3800km or so with regular inspections, Now its getting really noisy. Still no excessive play in any of the joints. Wheel bearings have minimal “slop” so I ordered up 2 new hubs and a lower balljoint that as-well has the tiniest bit play. So strange..Thing sounds like somethings going to pile up. When i hit washboard it chatters. So one might say brake chatter. But everything is tight in the brake department as far as I can tell with a bar and hand wiggle. Gonna see when i get the tires off mid next week. local parts stores/Dealer want $500-600 for a HUB. I ordered one SKF BR930553 for 240 and I thought would give MEVOTECH - H515148 a try for 135 all in.

Full Delete w/Bullydog
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 10:28 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kullukman View Post
At about 40kmh- 25-30mph i get a distinctive clack of a fubar ujoint. But none of the joints have play what so ever. The sound is consistent under power or coasting. DRW 2015 Megacab. Anyone hear/seen or fixed something similar to this yet? The noise is definitely external of the diffs and speed dependant. Maybe grenade’d park brake idk. Does the rear end need fricmod adjustments maybe? It seems to get more auditable when turn slightly right. Checked the wheel nuts and they are all good. Got the truck last month at 120,000km / 75,000mi been doing it since i got it. No indication of failing parts whatsoever. Thinking about pulling the rear wheels off to look at the park brakes next. But maybe this is a documented issue. Cant find anything on the forums yet though...
You need to remove the driveshaft and check both joints. You WILL find one that is very tight and is seized. That is why it has no play.
RamHunter18 likes this.

08 2500 laramie Minimax w pyro Cooler delete
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All right. Ill get a couple rear shaft joints aswell.. if i’m pulling the shaft out ill just change them to serviceable’s for s and giggles. Thanks

Full Delete w/Bullydog
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kullukman View Post
You need to remove the driveshaft and check both joints. You WILL find one that is very tight and is seized. That is why it has no play.
No good on the Ujoints. Wheel bearings did not make the plane so that is still open ended. I ended up with Moog 358’s for the rear shaft. I had to take .005ish off each ear on the aluminum side to clear the little plastic grease spreader, no big deal. Sound is still their and heathy. Developed a front axle seal and rear wheel leak though, Looks like i will be getting aquatinted with the r&p’s real soon lol

Full Delete w/Bullydog
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I finally got time to actually diagnose this hooptie,
something rattling around inside the left rear wheel end. Its unbelievable how the sound can resonate bouncing off the ground and truck. I got new seals and brakes coming on the plane today. Also some calliper slide pins. I managed to brake one off in the bracket when i was trying to free it up... successful extraction though... linked a video of the culprit noise..
https://youtu.be/Rn37IKQtQqw

Thanks for all the input fellas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42EC5E44-3ED2-4134-A25F-CB950191C449.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	867123  

Full Delete w/Bullydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode