Rear diff noise - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 1 Post By dillonjm
  • 1 Post By jroyster06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear diff noise

I have a 2016 RAM 2500 Meg-Cab i just got it two months ago, the rear end has a growl, at least thatís what it sounds like. Is there any good but in expensive rebuild kits or a solution to this?

Maybe just fluid change? I do not know

Scott Reese
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Cummins Nut

Try fluid change. Take a close look at the oil coming out. Look for any sparkles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2011 2500 Mini Maxx and dpf delete pipe and egr delete
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartdave View Post
Try fluid change. Take a close look at the oil coming out. Look for any sparkles

Yeah sorry i should have added, i pulled the fill plug and had some flakes stuck to it. I cleaned it off, topped it off, and drove it to Arizona and back havnít pulled the plug again yet. I will do that tomorrow and check it again.

Scott Reese
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:55 PM
Cummins Nut

I had a very similar noise and the carrier bearing was toast. 100k miles. Diff needed to be rebuilt.

2011 2500 Mini Maxx and dpf delete pipe and egr delete
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartdave View Post
I had a very similar noise and the carrier bearing was toast. 100k miles. Diff needed to be rebuilt.

Thatís what i was afraid of. It has 120k on it now. Might just have to get me a rebuild kit

Scott Reese
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 03:11 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Itís not that simple.

You need to have a good shop look at it if youíre not capable of setting up gears.
KATOOM likes this.

19 2500 Longhorn Mega 4x4

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

Previous: 16-3500, 11-2500, 01-2500, 08-2500, 03-2500
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 01:19 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,623 Times in 2,115 Posts
Working on differentials is not a DIY shade tree job. It takes precision and tools which are designed to make sure you get specs right, not close enough.

Pull the cover. Check the fluid for metal. Differential fluid will ALWAYS have metal in it as there is no filter. You just want to make sure there isnt tons of metal and or any chunks or large debris in there. Check the bottom of the differential housing for big pieces. The level of material stuck to the magnet is sometimes an indication too since it will ALWAYS have metal dust on it but if there's a ton stuck on there then thats an indication of the fluid never been changed or there's some serious wear going on. Obviously this is dependent on service intervals and what the truck is used for.

If the fluid looks dark but not terribly sparkly then a swap out with some quality synthetic stuff might offer some relief.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Diesel Head

Gears are NOT hard. They ARE time consuming and require special tools. I bought almost of them for around 200 bucks. Would have been better off buying a better bearing puller... But it is a shade tree job.... Its not terribly different than setting valve lash, as in take your time, make adjustments and remeasure until its right... Not close enough... RIGHT... LOTS of labor... LOTS of patience... LOTS of cut fingers... But most anyone can do them!
Jimmy N. likes this.

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar 1 Piece aluminum Driveshaft.... 3 previous cummins
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:13 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,623 Times in 2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyster06 View Post
Gears are NOT hard. They ARE time consuming and require special tools. I bought almost of them for around 200 bucks. Would have been better off buying a better bearing puller... But it is a shade tree job.... Its not terribly different than setting valve lash, as in take your time, make adjustments and remeasure until its right... Not close enough... RIGHT... LOTS of labor... LOTS of patience... LOTS of cut fingers... But most anyone can do them!
Rebuilding an engine is not hard either. It's time consuming and requires special tools. But there are just some things not all people can do even if they have the tooling and time...
Thats not an insult to anyone but just reality.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Rebuilding an engine is not hard either. It's time consuming and requires special tools. But there are just some things not all people can do even if they have the tooling and time...
Thats not an insult to anyone but just reality.
Agreed, but I do think that with enough research, it is doable by most. Its not custom tuning and its not a trans rebuild... Its also not an air filter change... It takes time and basic knowledge on top of some research. I just read a lot of posts all over the place in my research that scared me before I did the job. Its not THAT crazy... just takes time....

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar 1 Piece aluminum Driveshaft.... 3 previous cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode