HELP P00AF and P003A codes - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
HELP P00AF and P003A codes

Hi all. Looking for some input. I just bought a used 2014 RAM 2500 diesel with 55,500 miles. . My truck threw P00AF and P003A codes. I've been reading alot about these codes and from what I see, it is either the turbo or the actuator. Gonna go out this morning and look at wiring and fuses. Truck runs good. My exhaust brake works all the time but my boost only gets to 28psi. Gauge goes up to 35. Not sure how much boost it should be pushing. I did clear codes and within a day they came back.

I purchased from a Toyota dealer. They gave a 30 day warranty and naturally time is almost up. I have an appointment to drop truck off.

This is my first diesel truck that has all this emission crap on it. I had an '05 that I traded in, now I wish I would have kept it. So much easier to work on.

Any help would be appreciated so I know what to talk to their techs about.

2014 2500 RAM diesel stock(so far)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Diesel Head

Actuators are a common thing to go out. 28 psi seems about right for a factory turbo. It may be the actuator, that's great about the warranty. Iffff the emissions stuff ever falls off of your truck, its basically a big brother version of the 5.9.

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag Diff Covers, 4.30's.... 3 previous cummins
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Thanks, I was thinking actuator too. Hope the toyota techs in the used car end, know what they're doing. Emission stuff might fall off down the road. If it does, will it pull better? I'm towing a 12,000lb camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Diesel Head

yes...It will do everything better minus fuel mileage. DEF factory equipped trucks don't get the massive MPG gains that the older ones did while deleting. Trans tune will be your friend when they fall off. I have plans for mine to fall off... but ive opted to be an adult and regear to match the tires first....adulting is lame....

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag Diff Covers, 4.30's.... 3 previous cummins
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Update on the codes, found ground cable loose on one of the batteries. Tightened up cable and drove it. CEL went out. Now have quicker throttle response and quicker boost. Codes are still in computer, but no CEL.
jroyster, what kind of trans tune is good for towing? Any sensors or solenoids replaced?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Diesel Head

oh man there is a pile of stuff. BD diesel makes some standalone stuff just for the trans. Not sure how good they are as I have no experience. When your parts fall off of your truck you'll have to utilize a tune for the truck. Building a trans tune into it is usually the norm. Custom tuning will be your best best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode