New crate engine burning oil - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ok so I know this is a Dodge forums but I figured I would try for help anyways. I have a 11 Freightliner m2 rollback tow truck. Has 6.7 cummins. Bought it a year ago with a brand new crate engine with only 500 miles on it. As soon as we bought it we drove it straight to a shop and had the exhaust crap deleted. All they did was reprogram the computer and unplugged harness going to egr. Been great so far with 50k on engine. Only complaints is I have to add about 2 quarts every week, exhaust smells like burning oil, and seems like it's getting very poor fuel economy compared to other trucks I have owned. There also looks like oil coming out of a hole on underside of egr actuator. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_154223102_1575411130186.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	861983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_153726449_1575411146729.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	861985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_153709107_1575411160767.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	861987  
Al8429 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:44 PM
Diesel Head
 
jroyster06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Not From Here
Posts: 1,394
Thanks: 83
Thanked 144 Times in 111 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
You've got some issues with that EGR valve. It may just be a blown gasket. The bigger issue is why is the gasket blown as it shouldn't be functioning. Thats coming from the truck word. On the tractor side of things the motor may be under a higher load causing the EGR valve to have blow by. If it were me and the Emissions stuff is gone, I would buy an EGR delete. Its only a couple hundred bucks. On the other side of loosing oil, is there blow by out of the oil cap? The motor is a crate motor, was the turbo new as well? Could be cheap and be a turbo issue or could be more major and involve more. Does the turbine have play in it?

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar 1 Piece aluminum Driveshaft.... 3 previous cummins
jroyster06 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyster06 View Post
You've got some issues with that EGR valve. It may just be a blown gasket. The bigger issue is why is the gasket blown as it shouldn't be functioning. Thats coming from the truck word. On the tractor side of things the motor may be under a higher load causing the EGR valve to have blow by. If it were me and the Emissions stuff is gone, I would buy an EGR delete. Its only a couple hundred bucks. On the other side of loosing oil, is there blow by out of the oil cap? The motor is a crate motor, was the turbo new as well? Could be cheap and be a turbo issue or could be more major and involve more. Does the turbine have play in it?
Never had engine running with cap off. Will try that in the morning. Engine was bought as a long block so I think it did come with turbo. Will check play in turbo as well. I removed intercooler boot from driver side and didn't look like oil has been in intake.
Al8429 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Diesel Head
 
jroyster06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Not From Here
Posts: 1,394
Thanks: 83
Thanked 144 Times in 111 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Im wondering if the seals in the turbo are blown and your shooting oil out of the back side. Depending on how easy it is, it may be quick and simple to drop the down pipe and look for signs of oil. On my pickup that would be a pain in the donkey... On my fire trucks, it would be a cab tilt and 10 mins of work. Really hoping your valve train is ok. But I looked again at your pictures. The EGR valve is disconnected but there are still gases getting to it. Buy the delete kit. If you can't afford it, throw a freeze plug in the crossover tuber (shiny tube runs across the front of the motor from egr cooler to EGR valve. Throw it on EGR cooler side.

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar 1 Piece aluminum Driveshaft.... 3 previous cummins
jroyster06 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyster06 View Post
Im wondering if the seals in the turbo are blown and your shooting oil out of the back side. Depending on how easy it is, it may be quick and simple to drop the down pipe and look for signs of oil. On my pickup that would be a pain in the donkey... On my fire trucks, it would be a cab tilt and 10 mins of work. Really hoping your valve train is ok. But I looked again at your pictures. The EGR valve is disconnected but there are still gases getting to it. Buy the delete kit. If you can't afford it, throw a freeze plug in the crossover tuber (shiny tube runs across the front of the motor from egr cooler to EGR valve. Throw it on EGR cooler side.
Exhaust side of turbo is almost impossible to get to. It's pretty much in the transmission tunnel of the cab. I will get EGR delete kit. Wish I could do EGR cooler delete too but the kits out right now I don't think will work. I believe my cooler is in a different place. Gonna try to get to turbo. Seems like the gases coming out of the hole on EGR valve is wet. Even the water seperator has specks of oil on it
Al8429 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Really hope there isn't anything major wrong. My luck has been terrible this year. 2 of my internationals have beat the snot out of me. One has 180k on body and it's on its 3rd engine. Other has had engine rebuilt a lil over a year ago and think it needs it again and warranty is up
Al8429 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Cummins Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 146
Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al8429 View Post
Really hope there isn't anything major wrong. My luck has been terrible this year. 2 of my internationals have beat the snot out of me. One has 180k on body and it's on its 3rd engine. Other has had engine rebuilt a lil over a year ago and think it needs it again and warranty is up
You need some new drivers...or electronic engine monitoring systems.
If turbo exhaust side seal is failing, exhaust will eventually smoke and stink. Sounds like you ruled out compressor side leak. Any exhaust smoke on start? Or when at op temps?
If engine runs well, starts normally, and doesn't smoke, and is used locally, I'd drive that thing til something shows up. And keep oil level just above the add mark. Not full.
Reman engine might have Chinese valve seals and rings....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL#S is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
That's one thing I hate about the tow truck business. It's hard to find drivers that know what they are doing and won't tear up other cars or the truck.

Truck starts and runs great. Doesn't smoke that I can tell. I can smell burning oil though.

Hopefully this weekend when the truck stops moving long enough I can remove exhaust from muffler and check if oil is there. Muffler is pretty much connected directly to downpipe. Don't think I can access exhaust side of turbo without removing entire turbo.
Thanks for the input fellas
Al8429 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Newbie
 
OLEJOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Wherever I'm parked
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does your engine have open crank case vent or the ccv filter on the rocker cover? Internal pressure could be where the oil is going but that doesn’t explain the egr still feeding exhaust through it. I don’t know how that engine is layed out but my ccv filter has the breather line that goes to the turbo that goes right over that location.

2018 CC/SB 4X4 Absolutely Completely Stock
OLEJOE is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to OLEJOE For This Useful Post:
jroyster06 (12-06-2019)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 AM
Diesel Head
 
jroyster06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Not From Here
Posts: 1,394
Thanks: 83
Thanked 144 Times in 111 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
Does your engine have open crank case vent or the ccv filter on the rocker cover? Internal pressure could be where the oil is going but that doesnít explain the egr still feeding exhaust through it. I donít know how that engine is layed out but my ccv filter has the breather line that goes to the turbo that goes right over that location.
He's right as well. What about the blow by? If the Crate motor didn't, But should have had a CCV filter and the turbo is pulling a vacuum on the crankcase without the filter in place... that could be an issue...


But about the blow by.....

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar 1 Piece aluminum Driveshaft.... 3 previous cummins
jroyster06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome