Surging at light throttle - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Surging at light throttle

I recently fully deleted with anarchy stock tunes. Now that the exhaust is open i am noticing a huffing, surging at an idle in park, lightly accelerating from a stop, and cruising down the road at lower rpms and light throttle input. Iím thinking the truck was having this issue before I deleted, but if it was, it was hardly noticeable before with it being so quite.

I changed the fuel filters since they were due for service, and also cleaned the MAF and intake sensor on the intake elbow. None of this changed the issue.

I have a P2228 Barometric pressure sensor high l, P1193, and a P0405. Like an idiot I didnít check for codes before I deleted so I donít know how old these codes are. I know my barometric pressure sensor is reading a constant 12.5 psi.

Iíve done a few searches for this complaint and am surprised by how many threads there are, just havenít seen much resolution in any of them, other than fuel filters and cleaning the MAF. So I was hoping someone here might have some insight. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Pressure sensor is reading low. Should be reading about 14.8. you probably need to change the one on the filter housing for the code.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

2013 RAM 2500 diesel 6.7 Bighorn Crew Shortbed 4x4 in white. As of 7/21/16 16,100 miles.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
I had this issue at one point, and could not get it to go away. New Lift pump, new Cp3, new rail pressure, lines, new injectors etc. It finally went away with a different tuner.

03 QCLB- 19 to 25 mpg with electric parts, and engine mods....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Ordered the new sensor tonight, wonít be in for a few days. Does Cummins use this sensor to calibrate others on each startup? CAT does this and I know a barometric sensor malfunction would set everything in a default mode. I donít think that would cause this issue i am having but weíll see.

Anyone else running anarchy efi stock tunes here with this issue?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 AM
DGP
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
I had this issue at one point, and could not get it to go away. New Lift pump, new Cp3, new rail pressure, lines, new injectors etc. It finally went away with a different tuner.
Same story here...minus all the new parts. Datalog after datalog and no results. Bully dog tune worked better. Swapped to a different tuner who is local too me and all issues disappeared

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
cwendel likes this.

2018 3500 CCLB Longhorn w/Aisin
Sold-2014 3500 BAP, 6" BDS lift, 20x9 BMF Novakanes, 37x13.5 Toyo OC, AFE Intake, Firestone airbags, M-Line sled deck, EFI by No Limit, 4.10 gears
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
It was a good excuse to upgrade all my fuel delivery parts. lol

03 QCLB- 19 to 25 mpg with electric parts, and engine mods....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
Pressure sensor is reading low. Should be reading about 14.8. you probably need to change the one on the filter housing for the code.

using Tapatalk
Cwendel, the elevation is 4500 ft where Iím at, 12.6 psi is not sounding too far off. Iím still going to replace the sensor since I had the code. Just not holding my breath thatís gonna fix it
bcflyfisher likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Now to really check, when the truck is cold and not running, does the barometric reading from the pids match the exhaust pressure reading and the air inlet pressure sensor. If all threeare within .2 of each other the sensors are good. Books all say to replace the one that is not matching.

using Tapatalk

2013 RAM 2500 diesel 6.7 Bighorn Crew Shortbed 4x4 in white. As of 7/21/16 16,100 miles.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

So finally got around to changing that barometric pressure sensor, no change in the way the engine runs but no more code. Now the map, baro, and exhaust pressure sensors are all reading within .2 of each other with the engine off.

I did a data log and frp stays within a few hundred psi of the command at all times. The only thing that seemed strange to me is the vgt % actual and command readings fluctuate between 75% and 88% when the truck is in park and rpms set to 1100 with the cruise. Actual % seems to follow the command % to a point, itís definitely not dead on.

Another thing I am noticing is the eb is not working in the mornings anymore when I turn it on to assist in warming the engine up. It does however work when driving and the tc is locked like it always has.

I am going to contact anarchy on Monday and try and get them to send me the stock file to flash in the ecm, and run it to see if the surging is still there.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Either actuator or turbo are on the way out. I just changed my actuator out after months of chasing. It would get weak but no codes thrown. I swapped to the city diesel unit geno's garage sells. Two days in a row and the truck is still okay.

using Tapatalk
N of 60 likes this.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
Either actuator or turbo are on the way out. I just changed my actuator out after months of chasing. It would get weak but no codes thrown. I swapped to the city diesel unit geno's garage sells. Two days in a row and the truck is still okay.

using Tapatalk
I contacted Anarchy and they sent me the stock file, just reflashed the ecm and the surging is still there...

So at least I can cross off anarchy tuning as the issue. My theory is I never heard the surging before becuase of the quiet exhaust, and didnt feel it while driving because of the torque management keeping the throttle kind of dead.

One thing i am not understanding is, why is the turbo actuator command jumping around 75-88%? Does it not stay constant % when at fixed load/RPMS?

Also I have no codes for the turbo actuator, anyway to narrow this down any further to just the actuator or the turbo?

Thank you for all the help cwendel

2015 2500 ccsb, 68rfe, 40k miles, egr/dpf/scr delete with anarchy stock tunes, anarchy trans tuning
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

If the actuator motor is weak at a certain point in its motion, it could cause the vanes to move a little. The slight rotation motion of the motor would show as the vanes moving. The motor could also be stalling at that point which would be the same result.
I am still trying to figure some of it out as the system on out trucks is such a mix of high and low tech.
The surge could also be just the system cought in the right spot on the fuel and boost maps that you get this problem. I have seen some posts by some others where this is kinda a result of the tuning maps and appears only under these certain conditions.
As long as there is no excess smoke, I would just keep an eye on it.

using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode