G56 South Bend Clutch Replacement - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By nuljas23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
G56 South Bend Clutch Replacement

After replacing my clutch a couple weeks ago, I thought I'd share in case it helps someone out. When I was searching for info after I began to have issues, I didnít find much info on my specifics.

I bought this truck used and was told it had a South Bend dual disk. I'd had three other manual trans Cummins trucks with standard clutches, and I found this one was tricky to learn to drive smoothly. It seemed to act like a switch, on or off, not much in between, and was pretty noisy at idle and chirped a bit taking off in 2nd. Also it began to grab at the top of the pedal travel. Since I had never driven a clutch like this before, I accepted it as normal for its' type, and was happy that it held the power without slipping.

That was ďnormalĒ for over a year and ~25K miles since I bought the truck. Then I was backing into the pole barn like every night and heard something let loose and fly around the bellhousing a few times. Yikes. That sinking feeling came over me as I tried to figure out what had happened. I looked underneath and couldn't tell anything, so I moved it back and forth a few times. Everything seemed OK. I drove it a few days, paying extra attention for anything unusual. It did seem noisier, but worst of all, I was able to slip it for the first time, full throttle in 6th.

I still don't know if it was related, but I had put it on the dyno this year at Scheidís Extravaganza. It didn't seem to show any ill effects from that, as I drove it two hours home, and daily since. Honestly, I can be harder on it at times than the dyno operator was.

After the slip, it was clearly time to replace it. I called South Bend Clutch and was truly impressed with their customer service. Since I am only a two-hour drive from them, they said to send them some pics once I got it apart and they'd have a kit ready for me to pick up. They asked for pics to verify which clutch it had, and that it was truly their clutch. I pulled the trans. Turned out it was a SDD3250-G, and I found the source of that noise I heard backing into the barn - the four pins for the floater plate lying in the bottom of the bellhousing.

I went to Mishawaka the next morning to pick up the replacement, which they had sitting by the door ready to go as promised. Also bought their cast iron input bearing retainer that the throwout bearing rides on, as the stock sheet metal piece was worn. They explained that the clutch design had been improved to have those pins bolted in from the back of the flywheel - not just pressed in.

Got it back together that evening. Itís a whole different truck now! Pedal feel and grab is much more manageable Ė feels like a stocker in comparison. The grab begins a bit off the floor now instead of at the top of the pedal travel. There is hardly any clutch noise at idle now, and there is so much less vibration Ė Iím sure when the pins came out, it threw off the flywheel balance. Backing up is smoother too, but havenít towed yet, so I canít comment on backing a trailer.

It is still in the break-in period, so I havenít given it full power yet, but Iím confident it will hold.

So in the end, I believe it was a combination of the clutch being worn after lots of use, then of course the pins letting go, and also the improvements in design and clutch materials that makes such a marked difference in my clutch. Here are a few pics from the replacement.

">

">

">

">

">

'10 2500 RCLB SLT 4x4 G56, 3.73 LSD, HTT stainless 2nd gen manifold, S463, custom tuned H&S Mini-Maxx, head studs, Jamo 5" SS, South Bend dual, B&W turnover ball, 35" Exograpplers on 20"Dropstars, leveled, Bilsteins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Diesel Head

I actually just got off the phone with Valair asking about clutches. Which disc material did you go with? Was your input shaft worn at all? How fast does it shift compared to stock? Sorry for all the questions.

I’m looking at an organic dual disc as I’m assured it’ll shift like stock if setup properly.

-1999 2500 white sport QCSB/NV4500/EMS free spins
-1997 2500 12v LWB 5spd, 1998.5 3500 P24V 5spd
-2016 MC Laramie G56 maximum steel, zero chrome
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuljas23 View Post
I actually just got off the phone with Valair asking about clutches. Which disc material did you go with? Was your input shaft worn at all? How fast does it shift compared to stock? Sorry for all the questions.

I’m looking at an organic dual disc as I’m assured it’ll shift like stock if setup properly.

This clutch is half ceramic, half organic. My input shaft was fine, no major wear or twist. I didn't have this truck when it was stock to compare, but now it shifts much better than it did. I'd say it is pretty much stock-like. Goes into gear noticeably quicker from a stop too.

If you want to compare vs Valiar, I believe South Bend has a full organic version of this clutch, which is rated a little lower on HP/TQ than my half ceramic version. Looks like it would be the SDD3250-G-ORG.

https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/9921/

'10 2500 RCLB SLT 4x4 G56, 3.73 LSD, HTT stainless 2nd gen manifold, S463, custom tuned H&S Mini-Maxx, head studs, Jamo 5" SS, South Bend dual, B&W turnover ball, 35" Exograpplers on 20"Dropstars, leveled, Bilsteins

Last edited by BigFitzy; 10-09-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Iím looking at an organic dual disc as Iím assured itíll shift like stock if setup properly.
If you would like any additional information about valair or sbc or material contact us we work with these everyday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFitzy View Post
This clutch is half ceramic, half organic. My input shaft was fine, no major wear or twist. I didn't have this truck when it was stock to compare, but now it shifts much better than it did. I'd say it is pretty much stock-like. Goes into gear noticeably quicker from a stop too.

If you want to compare vs Valiar, I believe South Bend has a full organic version of this clutch, which is rated a little lower on HP/TQ than my half ceramic version. Looks like it would be the SDD3250-G-ORG.

https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/9921/
I did see they have a full organic option as well but if it’s smooth, has good street manners and tows good I see no reason not to get the organic/ceramic for the extra holding power.

I’m at a point with my truck where I’m trading it on a 20 or deleting and adding the pusher compound kit I’ve had sitting in the garage for a few years now. I’d also like to stretch the frame to make a mega cab long bed. Having to put a clutch in makes me want to do the latter.

Thanks for answering my questions!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dales Super Store View Post
If you would like any additional information about valair or sbc or material contact us we work with these everyday
I might take you up on that. Thinking about the same clutch as BigFitzy but Iíd be running it on stock undeleted power for a while, south bends site says they donít recommend doing so but I canít see what itíd hurt.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
I did see they have a full organic option as well but if itís smooth, has good street manners and tows good I see no reason not to get the organic/ceramic for the extra holding power.

Iím at a point with my truck where Iím trading it on a 20 or deleting and adding the pusher compound kit Iíve had sitting in the garage for a few years now. Iíd also like to stretch the frame to make a mega cab long bed. Having to put a clutch in makes me want to do the latter.

Thanks for answering my questions!

No problem. Mine is a daily driver, and I'm happy with it. Usually about 100 miles per day during the week.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I might take you up on that. Thinking about the same clutch as BigFitzy but Iíd be running it on stock undeleted power for a while, south bends site says they donít recommend doing so but I canít see what itíd hurt.
You should have no problem. We have no issues with South Bend or Valair clutches other then the high power and more discs the more unpleasant the pedal feel but we have a special fix for that.

us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
The Following User Says Thank You to Dales Super Store For This Useful Post:
nuljas23 (10-09-2019)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFitzy View Post
No problem. Mine is a daily driver, and I'm happy with it. Usually about 100 miles per day during the week.
Likewise, i drive at least 150 miles per day.
BigFitzy likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dales Super Store View Post
Quote:
I might take you up on that. Thinking about the same clutch as BigFitzy but I’d be running it on stock undeleted power for a while, south bends site says they don’t recommend doing so but I can’t see what it’d hurt.
You should have no problem. We have no issues with South Bend or Valair clutches other then the high power and more discs the more unpleasant the pedal feel but we have a special fix for that.
What’s the fix, I’m in the market this winter for a dd and can’t decide between the two , sb or valair

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode