steering shaft knocking sound and feel - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
steering shaft knocking sound and feel

I have a thump sound you can feel in the steering wheel when I go over small bumps at slow speeds. I thought it was a loose shock or something but I have checked the torque on every bolt under the front end. I see lots of post about the steering shaft making a knocking sound on third gens but wonder if anyone has had it on a 4th gen. Truck had 70 k on it. I can grab the shaft and move it up and down and get a thump out of it, but I dont know if this is my actual problem .. Just dont know why it would do this going slow over small bumps or if Im missing something else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How's the track bar? How many miles on it?
They can look good and be bad.. also they require a ton of torque to tighten correctly

The bolts on the bottom shock mounts require a decent amount of torque, if not really cranked down they will allow the shock to move and it will make a knocking sound, common problem when people replace the front shocks and don't really crank down the lower mounting bolt enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 2500 Cummins 4x4 - Mega
Laramie, Auto, Smarty S67
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I’m remembering reading a thread on this not too mint ago here. The result was just to tighten up the bolt that connects the steering shaft to the gear box.

2015 3500 DRW Laramie CCLB 68RFE 4.10 4x4. CM SS flatbed. Cooper LT255/70R17 ST Maxx and 2" Stahl Steel spacers. Thuren 2.5 springs/shocks. Carli track bar Mag-Hytec rear cover with 75/110 Amsoil.
SOLD:2010 3500 DRW Big Horn CCLB Auto 4x4.
SOLD: 2005 3500 SRW SLT 4x4 G56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode