Cummins Diesel Forum banner

steering shaft knocking sound and feel

515 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lonestarwelder 
#1 ·
I have a thump sound you can feel in the steering wheel when I go over small bumps at slow speeds. I thought it was a loose shock or something but I have checked the torque on every bolt under the front end. I see lots of post about the steering shaft making a knocking sound on third gens but wonder if anyone has had it on a 4th gen. Truck had 70 k on it. I can grab the shaft and move it up and down and get a thump out of it, but I dont know if this is my actual problem .. Just dont know why it would do this going slow over small bumps or if Im missing something else.

#2 ·
How's the track bar? How many miles on it?
They can look good and be bad.. also they require a ton of torque to tighten correctly

The bolts on the bottom shock mounts require a decent amount of torque, if not really cranked down they will allow the shock to move and it will make a knocking sound, common problem when people replace the front shocks and don't really crank down the lower mounting bolt enough.

#3 ·
I’m remembering reading a thread on this not too mint ago here. The result was just to tighten up the bolt that connects the steering shaft to the gear box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.