Need Help with 2018 clutch noise. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need Help with 2018 clutch noise.

I just purchased a new 2018 3500 with the G56. The truck had been sitting on the lot for over a year when I purchased.

When pressing the clutch it is making a kinda howling sound briefly. The sound completely goes away as you let the clutch back out and is much more noticeable at higher RPM. Low RPM it’s barely noticeable. No other symptoms.

I noticed it as I was leaving the dealership with only 68 miles on the truck but wasn’t sure if this was normal as this is my first Ram. My last truck was an 04 duramax with ZF6 and it never made this kind of sound when pressing the clutch.

After driving it back across the country to get it home I am now convinced something is not right. Possibly a bad pilot bearing? I am going to take it to a local dealership to have it looked at under warranty but was curious if anyone had had similar issues.

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Cummins Fanatic

My 2017 does not have any howl or abnormal noises so I would say not normal. I would definitely get it to the dealer while still in warranty.

17 3500 SW CCLB 4WD CTD G56 Pearl White Sport Package
98 2500 QCLB 4WD CTD 12v 47re- sold.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomk For This Useful Post:
L1011 (09-17-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

As a follow up I just had a service tech at the local dealership drive it and he said it sounded normal for that type of truck. He described it as gear rollover noise. I am still not convinced as he admitted he had not seen many trucks with that transmission. I think I need to get a second opinion from another dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Diesel Head

I'd say the tech doesn't know wth he's talking about with a great deal of certainty.
First, is this condition when youre driving and shifting gears or stopped and disengaging the clutch?
Either way, gear rollover noise is virtually not present with a stock dmf clutch. Second, it only happens in gear, accelerating at lower rpm range and is a condition of a solid flywheel clutch, not a dmf clutch. Been over 10 years since mine had the dmf clutch, but I don't recall any noise until I put a good clutch in it.

You're much closer to the cause. Pilot or throwout bearing is more likely.

FWIW, my throwout bearing was toast at 40k on the original clutch and pilot was good. 80k later, both were still ok when I installed the 2nd replacement clutch, but replaced both due to miles.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grit dog For This Useful Post:
L1011 (09-17-2019)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Cummins Fanatic

My truck had the same noise your describing when clutch pedal was pressed in. Let go no noise. Thought it was the throw out, ended up being the dual mass flywheel. But mine started doing it closer to 20k miles and it most likely because its deleted and I’m towing over 26k lbs combined. The south bend dual disk clutch and single mass flywheel seems to be holding up fine so far. Got about 40k miles on the truck now
The Following User Says Thank You to akhr For This Useful Post:
L1011 (09-17-2019)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Grit Dog it only happens when you are driving and shifting. Particularly if you shift above 2100 rpm or so. Second to third accelerating into traffic is particularly noticeable.

It sounds a little like a gear spinning down as it dissipates the longer the clutch is held in. Two seconds or a little more it stops all together, It also stops all together when the clutch is released.

When I have time I am going to get a second dealer to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode