2013 Ram 2500 68rfe Knocking Noise (Update) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 2 Post By overactor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2013 Ram 2500 68rfe Knocking Noise (Update)

Hey guys, about 3 weeks ago i had posted a thread on "2013 Knocking Noise". I tried to post a video of it, but had no luck. I know that this is going to be a long read, but i want to give as much info as i can to everyone so that i can hopefully find someone out there that may know wth is going on.
Anyways, i am here now with sort of an update on the matter. The truck is a 2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4. Has a little over 73k miles. As far as i know from the previous owner, the motor and trans have been tuned by Kory Willis. Which made me feel a lot better about buying it.
Truck has never given me any real problems at all. When i bought it, it had like 58 or 59k miles on it. There are only 2 times that i can remember, i started the truck and only let it run for about 1 minute or so. I went to put it in gear and it wouldn't lock in right away. Like i said, only twice that this had happened, and it was very far apart. After i let it run for a few more minutes, it went into gear with no problem.
It seemed like a fluke thing to happen bc the trans, or anything else never acted up. However, i took my truck to work one morning, and never noticed or heard anything of concern. I went to go to lunch, started the truck and didn't hear anything going on. Then when i went to accelerate, i heard a slight knocking sound from under the truck, from what i could tell.
So i checked the oil, and other than it needing to be changed, it was good on the level. So i started it back up, still didn't hear anything, so once again i went to take off and heard the noise. Keep in mind, it was a slight knocking sound. I continued down the road, got to a red light, went to take back off, and it never came back. I drove it home that evening and never heard anything also.
At this point i am preparing myself for something crappy to start happening. I believe this was on a Thursday. I drove it a little bit through the weekend, and never heard anything out of the ordinary. I drive a company truck to work from Monday through Wednesday, and then on Thursdays, i try and take my rig just to keep all the fluids moving.
So about a week later after driving it the last time, i am leaving to go to work in it again, and low and behold, there is the noise!!!! Except it's a little more aggressive sounding this time. As i was pulling out of my driveway, i started to accelerate just at a medium pace, and it was for sure making a knocking sound. So i drove about a quarter mile down the road, and from what i can remember, i let it shift through all the gears and it seemed fine as far as shifting goes.
But once it got back down to lower RPM's, the knocking noise would come back. I turned around to go bring it back home, so that i didn't screw it up even worse. I go to take back off again, and it's definitely making a knocking sound. But i could accelerate a little more, and it would go away.
I did that a few times just to make sure i wasn't missing something. But it would do it every time. I would take off just at a normal rate, and the noise would start. I would just give it a little more pedal, and it would quit until it would shift into a higher gear, and lower the RPM's. That evening, i tried a couple of things to see if i could locate the problem.
I had my Dad stand next to it in the driveway while i would accelerate so he could hear where it was coming from. To shorten this up a little, we located the noise underneath the truck. It would never make the noise in park or in neutral though. Only when i would put it under a load. Which kind of made me feel better about it not being in the crank or something.
After going back and forth in the driveway for a while, the truck got up to temperature for a bit. I put it in park for a second, and i could barely hear the knocking sound. So i hurry'd up and got under it to pin point the location of the noise. I am about 98% sure that it was directly inside the bell housing. I had my Dad and my Brother listen for it as well, and they both agreed that it sounded like it was coming directly from there as well.
So i started doing the research. A lot of it. Mostly found that TC bolts backed out, or flex plate had a crack in it. I checked the TC bolts, and all were tight. I inspected the flex plate to the best of my ability, and found nothing. I removed both drive shafts, put it in gear, and never heard anything. AT ALL!!!!
So by this time, i am pretty pissed at the whole situation, so i decided, to take all of it out so i could thoroughly inspect the flex plate, adapter plate, and the front side of the trans. Needless to say, i have found not one single piece of evidence showing that anything was hitting inside the bell housing. Not one loose bolt, not one single crack in the flex plate.
Only thing i seen was a very faint scrape mark on the front of the trans cover. But as a lot of you may know, that thin cover would have had some pretty nasty marks on it if the TC was hitting it. Needless to say again, i am at a loss now and not sure what else to look for or try out. Please, any kind of feedback on this is greatly appreciated. Not sure if it may be something to do with the flex plate that i just can't see, or maybe something internal in the TC that is broken.
I was thinking of just replacing them both, but upgrading to billet flex plate, and a little bit higher end TC. But that's about $1,400.00 right off the bat. And if that's not the problem, and it ends up being something else, i might as well call a divorce lawyer now bc mama isn't going to be very happy with me at all, LOL!!
Once again, i know this is a long read, but i wanted to make sure to not leave any details out. I am also going to try again to add the video, and some other pictures. Like i said before, any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

Last edited by Seth Custer; 08-21-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Not enough spacing for easy reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Cummins Fan

Line breaks brother, I was trying to read that on my phone to see if I can help but I'm loosing my place, break that down into paragraphs and I'll try to help ya out.
daltana and Seth Custer like this.

2.2BAR in my 4cyl street car
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Overactor,

Sorry about that bub. I just edited it a little bit. If its still not enough, please let me know. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Diesel Head

2013 Ram 2500 68rfe Knocking Noise (Update)

What makes you sure it is something in the trans? With the trans doing well and the noise not being associated with visible damage to anything trans related, yet, i would start thinking the crank may be making noise and the thrust bearings may be going. I have never had this issue myself but some have had to get to the bottom end and put some better thrust bearings in.
Its been a long time since i read about this issue, since the bottom end is pretty solid, so i could be way off. IIRC under load the crank can slightly move forward and rearward causing the thrust bearings to make contact with something internally. Like i said it is rare and i could be way off but i would not dump tons of money into the trans until the problem was diagnosed. Maybe the oil pan needs to come off next?
Anyway, many internal parts of the engine could resinate through into the bell housing and lead you in the wrong direction.
How high has your tune been turned up? Is your grid heater bolt still intact? Any weird codes? Is the noise more pronounced when the engine is under load and heat soaked? Is it louder on a cold block under load? Any metal in your oil? May be time to send in a used oil sample for analysis and cut the filter open to examine the pleats. If the crank is sliding very slightly forward or rearward would that motion have made the slight marks you saw when inspecting the flex plate?

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Check the grid heater.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Jared, i appreciate the input for sure. I am not at all stating that the trans is the issue. I am maybe leaning towards the torque converter internals. I havent drove it long enough from the time the noise got bad at all to really even have metal shavings anywhere. I did drain the TC, and found no shavings. I have not drained the engine oil yet though. And the main reason i am steering away from engine issues is bc it only has 73k on it. The tune at max is 125 i believe. But i drive fairly light on it as well. Dont get me wrong, ill punch it here and there, but i dont tend to be that jack very often at all. There are no codes at all popping up either. And the only time the noise comes around is when i put it under a load. If i had a knock in the engine, it would be a constant knock. This is only on acceleration though. Thats why im so confused given the fact i have found no physical evidence anywhere.i think for sure, i am going to at least upgrade the flex plate. Then pull the oil pan and check for shavings. After that, im just gonna put it back together and see what happens. If the noise still persists, ill just have to bring it in for some more proffesional diagnosis i guess.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Can you explain how the grid heater would be causing a knocking noise from under the truck, right at the bell housing? Not knocking your suggestion at all, but i just dont understand how that would be the issue.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Custer View Post
Can you explain how the grid heater would be causing a knocking noise from under the truck, right at the bell housing? Not knocking your suggestion at all, but i just dont understand how that would be the issue.
Grid heater stud melts off, falls into intake and eventually falls into a cylinder. Sounds just like a rod knock.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Wow!!!!!! Never would have thought of that. But wouldnt it make a constant knock, even at idle? I can rev up in park and neutral, and not get any noise. But when i go to accelerate, is when the knocking noise starts. And if i give it a little more fuel, it will stop. I would think i would hear the knocking noise continuously if something had fallen into a cylinder right? I mean, i guess its worth checking regardless. Im gonna drain engine oil and trans oil this weekend to make sure i dont have any shavings anywhere. If i dont, im probably gonna have to slap it all back together and have a more seasoned expert try and diagnose this crap. I just find it hard to believe that it would be a knock from the engine. I mean i know its possible for sure. But 73k miles???? And doesnt miss a lick, and never has. I dont know what else to look for though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Yeah guess I missed that. Mine knocked all the time.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Im really leaning towards TC at the moment. I still havent decided on what my next move is just yet, but ill be sure to update with any results i come up with. Preciate it though bub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode