vibration floor and seat - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
vibration floor and seat

I am trying to narrow down a vibration felt in the floor and seat, 45 mph and up to 85+ in my 2016 ram 2500 4x4 6.7 crew cab, 3.42 ratio..81 K miles I've had issue before new tire tires and after. currently running factory 20 x 8 wheels with LT285/60r20 continental tires. Had road force balance at 2 different shops, replaced 1 RR wheel ($500 from dodge dealer)from road force balance results.Problem still persists.
I checked LR wheel and I have 42 thousandths side runout on wheel, I can see wheel/ tire out or round with rear jacked up running 45 mph. I also have 18 thousandths runout on axle hub, and 12 thousandths on face of axle flange. I don't know what tolerance factors are before runout is felt.

Question, is hub runout causing wheel runout? or do I have another bad made in china factory wheel.

I pulled rotor and found oil/grease leaking onto emergency brake shoes, which must be a bad seal, but didn't feel and up down movement on hub assembly bearing.

I have videos of all checks, not sure how/where to upload to.

thanks,

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Fix the hub leak first. Second, go check to make sure the front shaft has not lost a ujoint.
Next, check the driveshaft for bad ujoints. In that order.
Then make sure the driveshaft has no up/down play in the front yoke or at the rear axle.
The tires being slightly out of round would be fixed by balance unless they put huge weights on, then you may have a bad tire that does this only when warm or where the belts moved in the tread.
You can also try lowering the air pressure as a fully aired up tire on an inloaded truck turns into a bumpy ride.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

2013 RAM 2500 diesel 6.7 Bighorn Crew Shortbed 4x4 in white. As of 7/21/16 16,100 miles.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, I checked front and rear drive shaft u-joints, all tight, no signs of movement or grease seepage. A little bit of movement on rear tail shaft at transfer case, but no signs of seal going bad from worn bearing or sleeve. also a little bit of movement on slip yoke with front drive shaft, but seemed normal.(not sure what max movement is)

With the truck on jack stands and running 25 - 45 mph, I see a lot of out or roundness (lopsided) at the em brake section of the rotor. Its almost time for new pads, i'll replace and see if anything changes.
I swapped rear tires left to right, seems original LR is problem on RR side and new purchased wheel shows out of round lateral wise on LR.
I'll try tire pressure trick as well.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Update, I pulled LR axle shaft and measured .002" lateral runout with dial indicator on hub flange where wheel mounts to. With axle shaft in place I have .012" runout.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode