trasnmission or torque converter rattle 4th & above - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
trasnmission or torque converter rattle 4th & above

Been to the dealer twice for this, nothing found. At first they thought it was a heat shield vibrating against the fuel tank. When it shifts into 4th gear and above, at about 1,000 rpm, with no positive or negative load, I am getting a "corn sheller" sound in the TC or tranny. Won't do it until 4th gear then same in 5 & 6. Truck is a 17 2500 4x4 with 30k miles started doing this about 25k or so. Annoying as hell, and it sounds like something that will get worse before it gets better. Makes the same sound in 4 wd or 2wd, so probably not the transfer case, Any ideas ?

2017 Laramie 2500, Short bed crew cab, 4x4 auto, solid Flame Red, Brown & Light Frost Beige interior w/Buckets. Air suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 4,036 Times in 3,010 Posts
Im sure I feel it but drive through it.
Lock out 5th and 6th in town
bogging down the motor.
low rpm rattle
I think the cause is the 3:42 gearing

My 12 with 3:73 didn't have this issue. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

2016 4x4 3500 Laramie CCLB LOST MY EXHAUST SO I HAVE AN 18 INCH RESONATOR AND EGRDELETE.. ALSO HAVE EFILIVE BY PPEI 3.42 rear ,68 trans TUNED BY PPEI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

took it to a real transmission shop, had two different people drive it, they seem to think its a problem with the damper in the torque converter. Dealer now says they will look at again, but they've already had it twice, and did nothing.

2017 Laramie 2500, Short bed crew cab, 4x4 auto, solid Flame Red, Brown & Light Frost Beige interior w/Buckets. Air suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I had the same sound but was from 3rd up. It was the stock TC that ballooned on me.
Hence my tripe D lower stall. Iím kind of glad it happened

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode