Control arm re-location brackets or longer control arms? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
I heard the ride of the truck will be better if the control arms are laying as close to horizontal as possible, when they are on a high angle like mine they transfer more of the bumps impact straight up/back into the frame. Does this make sense?
That is correct, in theory. If the bars are truly horizontal and the bump is purely vertical, then the reaction forces are orthogonal -- at right angles -- and no reaction force to the bump resolves along the bar and requires a reaction force at the other root -- subject to real life restrictions on inertia and bearing friction because the links have mass and the bearings resist torsion. On the other hand, since all pinned structural elements exist only in pure tension or compression, when the bars are NOT horizontal and you hit a purely vertical bump, the reaction force has to resolve into vector components one of which is aligned with the bar, and therefore which requires a reaction force at the chassis root. The chassis feels a bump.

In practice all bumps have a fore/aft component, the links have mass, and the bushings are stiff, so the above isn't 100% true. Having horizontal links serves only to minimize impact transmission to the chassis.

In 2013 the HD Rams went to right and left radius arms, each of which bolts solidly to the axle above and below and each of which has a single big bushing back at the chassis rails. One of the attachment points at each side integrates a caster adjustment cam to rotate the axle with respect to the radius arms. The big bushings have some compliance, but it wouldn't be too far from the truth to say that the suspension -- counting the track bar -- went from six moving parts to two. The number of wear and tear points went from ten to four.

And... in any 4-bar, the rule is you get the best geometry and ride the longer the bars are, subject to realistic limitations.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.

Last edited by EricPeterson; 06-17-2019 at 02:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricPeterson For This Useful Post:
b.lee (06-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMconvert View Post
I would just use longer Carli or Thuren control arms.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
I'd like to run these and I still might bite the bullet and cough up the extra cash,
But has anyone run the BDS Control arms for 2-3" of lift? Are they any good?
Part # BDS122322

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 2500 Cummins 4x4 - Mega Laramie,
Auto, 37" BFG's, Bully Dog GT garbage
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
I heard the ride of the truck will be better if the control arms are laying as close to horizontal as possible, when they are on a high angle like mine they transfer more of the bumps impact straight up/back into the frame. Does this make sense?
As Eric elaborated on, yes it does.
You can ask Jeep XJ owners who went a bit overboard with their lifts, without changing to longer arms.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Diesel Head

You can get longer suspension links but that won’t change the angle. It will just push the axle a bit forward, possibly to stock location: your smoothest ride will come from flattening out the angle of the suspension links. Either by some sort of drop, or lowering the lift

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Kodi View Post
You can get longer suspension links but that wonít change the angle. It will just push the axle a bit forward, possibly to stock location: your smoothest ride will come from flattening out the angle of the suspension links. Either by some sort of drop, or lowering the lift
Correct, the links need to be quite a bit longer for the angles to become right again.
But it wouldn't be hard to make new mounts some 12 inches farther back.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
As Eric elaborated on, yes it does.
You can ask Jeep XJ owners who went a bit overboard with their lifts, without changing to longer arms.
The stock control arms stock on cherokees are a different ballgame in terms of length compared to what’s on our trucks though.

A 3-4” lift on an old Cherokee dramatically changes the arm angle, whereas on our trucks 2-3” is not a large change.

EDIT: saw he has a 12, even with the 5 link setup he still has long enough control arms for the lift height we are discussing.

Back to the OP:
Get some decent springs and stop fumbling around overthinking control arm angle. That will be the biggest bang for your buck.

Other thing that can help is to make sure you don’t have ridiculous tire pressures. With your larger 37’s you don’t need to max out the tire pressure unloaded. Look up how to do a chalk test if you’re not sure what to set them to. This will make a significant difference in ride quality as well.
98whitelightnin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

16 3500 SRW RCLB G56 4x4- Thuren/Carli/Fox - 285 75/18 Cooper AT3s; FTE / Aero Turbine / ARP / Anarchy / Valair / Pusher / GDP

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
I'd like to run these and I still might bite the bullet and cough up the extra cash,

But has anyone run the BDS Control arms for 2-3" of lift? Are they any good?

Part # BDS122322
I looked at going the less expensive route, but all I found was reviews of how the bushings didn't last...I coughed up the extra $300 for the Carli....bought them on Amazon for $700 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 5000 Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode