Smoke at startup??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Smoke at startup???

Lost the head gasket couple years back, took to shop and found the head cracked as well. New work done was a new complete head assembly, ARP studs, grid heater delete, pusher intake, egr delete, external waste gate, full 4" exhaust, all deletes done. Truck runs great, no issues with operation. Coolant, boost, power, etc seems spot on. Only issue is that when the truck is started after sitting a couple hours it blows a nice big puff of white smoke (maybe blue, my old eyes can't tell the diff) and smells of burnt oil, clears out pretty fast maybe one or two more throttle hits and its gone. Have a buddy tell me he could smell brunt oil when following me but can't really see any smoke, worse when I hit the throttle. Truck now uses oil too. Original shop that did the work is not an option. That being said, any thoughts on what this could be? My first thought was a leaking valve guide seals, had to believe with a brand new head assembly. There is no fuel or smell in the oil and the smoke smells like burnt oil. Its using about 1 quart of oil for every 2-3000 miles driven and before this work being done it never used a drop. Could it be turbo seals leaking, valve guide seals or injectors? Figure injectors would smell of raw fuel and didn't think that bad turbo seals would only smoke on start up.

Any ideas what the problem could be and how to diagnose without spending a crapload of cash for a shop to diagnose?

Thanks

2011 Dodge MegaCab DRW 4x4 SLT White, 1-1/2" level kit, 285/75R17 Nitto Dura Grapplers on Ultra Goliath Wheels, EFI Live Draconian Tuned, GDP Pro-gate, ARP Studs, Pusher Intake system, GDP Grid Heater Delete, BD Exhaust Manifold, Edge CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Make sure what ever you are using to vent the crankcase is not clogged. First step as it sounds just like a set of valve seals.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

2013 RAM 2500 diesel 6.7 Bighorn Crew Shortbed 4x4 in white. As of 7/21/16 16,100 miles.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
Make sure what ever you are using to vent the crankcase is not clogged. First step as it sounds just like a set of valve seals.

I have the CCV deleted and the routing the vent thru a baffled catch can and back into the stock intake location.

I was thinking seals as well, but this issue started within a couple weeks of having the work done and has slowly gotten worse. Kinda ruled that out at first since the entire head assembly was new from top to bottom. But always a chance at a bad one somewhere.

2011 Dodge MegaCab DRW 4x4 SLT White, 1-1/2" level kit, 285/75R17 Nitto Dura Grapplers on Ultra Goliath Wheels, EFI Live Draconian Tuned, GDP Pro-gate, ARP Studs, Pusher Intake system, GDP Grid Heater Delete, BD Exhaust Manifold, Edge CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Cummins Fanatic

New head does not always mean good seals. If they just changed the head, they could have reused the old seals or the new parts were never spec'ed right. A too small valve stem in a too big guide hole will leak. And is a sure sign of blue startup smoke. You could also have an oil leak from something else into the cylinders that leads to this. I am new to diesels but there could be a leak anywhere. Checked the inside of the intercooler to make sure it is not covered in oil, it will rule out turbo seals at least.

2013 RAM 2500 diesel 6.7 Bighorn Crew Shortbed 4x4 in white. As of 7/21/16 16,100 miles.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
New head does not always mean good seals. If they just changed the head, they could have reused the old seals or the new parts were never spec'ed right. A too small valve stem in a too big guide hole will leak. And is a sure sign of blue startup smoke. You could also have an oil leak from something else into the cylinders that leads to this. I am new to diesels but there could be a leak anywhere. Checked the inside of the intercooler to make sure it is not covered in oil, it will rule out turbo seals at least.

The head was new fully assembled from top to bottom, new valves, seals, springs, etc... I sure hope it was done right, lol but could always have an issue, seen it before with so called new parts. Plan on checking out the turbo this weekend, gonna pull down pipe loose and pressure side to intercooler and inspect for oil on both sides.
cwendel likes this.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I lean toward the seals in the head since it started with the work and only has gotten worst. Unless you have a bad set of rings and that is what is leaving oil in the cylinder but you would get some blowby too. It would also lead to oil consumption.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
I lean toward the seals in the head since it started with the work and only has gotten worst. Unless you have a bad set of rings and that is what is leaving oil in the cylinder but you would get some blowby too. It would also lead to oil consumption.

I agree, there is no noticeable blow by and the cylinders were all inspected when original work was performed. Really hoping it is just the valve seals, just not sure how to check them without tearing a bunch of stuff apart.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Unless something else is wrong and someone has a way to check, I think your smoke is the signal.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Blowby test at full operating temp...

https://youtu.be/bgtl3_54PdY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM
GCR
Cummins Nut

How badly was the motor overheated, assuming that was the reason that the head cracked? The smoke on startup does indicate valve stem seals or out of spec guides, but there’s also the possibility of failed oil scraper rings due to overheat. A blow-by test tells you nothing about the oil rings, only the compression rings. Have seen that on a few engines (Not Cummins, my shop specializes in German cars) that ran great, but just consumed oil after being overheated.

2003 HO 2500 4X4 Quad Cab- Sold.
2014 Laramie 2500 4X4 Crew Cab, Granite Crystal/Silver 68RFE arrived 03/18/14.
ARB Intensity and Rigid SAE Fog Lights. HID projectors. 7" HID driving spots.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCR View Post
How badly was the motor overheated, assuming that was the reason that the head cracked? The smoke on startup does indicate valve stem seals or out of spec guides, but there’s also the possibility of failed oil scraper rings due to overheat. A blow-by test tells you nothing about the oil rings, only the compression rings. Have seen that on a few engines (Not Cummins, my shop specializes in German cars) that ran great, but just consumed oil after being overheated.

Nothing extreme just about 230 deg max when the head gasket let go. Had small crack between injector port and valve so replaced it all.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Pulled the intake so far, turbo is caked with oil and the shaft has about 1/32” of play. Pretty sure turbo is shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode