Eb failure - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cf farms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Eb failure

Im sure this has been answered before but im new here, a couple weeks ago my eb quit, Friday I was towing a pretty heavy load with the truck and it had no power at all, pretty sick, I called my mechanic and he said it needs a new turbo, but I don't think that's the problem, just asking for feedback, btw 14 3500 stock, 110k miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,233 Posts
Need codes to figure out what is wrong. If the turbo is TU there will be codes, same with fuel problems. The electrical parts that generally go bad on the turbo can be bought online in various places, the hard partcan also be had used or new if one can figure out what is wrong with it.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Eb failue

no codes ever on this truck, just no power and no eb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Your turbo and/or actuator is bad. If the actuator is fine and most likely if your truck is a 2013+ it is, then your turbo is full of soot and sticking or stuck. FCA was trying a cleaning procedure for a while that involved drilling some holes in Turbo and EGR cooler and pushing a bunch of cleaning agent through them in the attempt to get the soot out. From what I have thought I heard, they no longer do this and either replace turbo and actuator together for warranty work or want you to pay like $4,500.00 for replacement turbo/actuator. They may still do this as a preventative measure but I donít think it is an accepted repair any longer due to a low success rate, even if it restored function to turbo, problem was reoccurring in a fairly short period of time. Iíve read at least a hundred posts like yours and it seems half pony up the money to the dealer or the other half do a 2nd gen. fixed vain turbo swap and delete truck. FYI, I have a mint 2015 stock turbo system removed with 15,000 miles or less and a modified stock 63mm Fleece Cheetah VGT turbo (5,000 miles) and new Steed Speed T4i exhaust manifold (doesnít work if EGR cooler is still on truck) both turboís work on completely stock truck, manifold is only for deleted trucks. Cheaper option than paying dealer and you keep exhaust brake. PM if your interested and sorry about truck, but fairly normal issue for that mileage. Good Luck, Tom J.

2015 maximum steel 2500 Big Horn,HPP EFI Live,GDP intake and airboss plenum, RevMax Signature 850, Garrett GTX4294R (70/82/1.01), Steed Speed, GDP TorkerIV 125hp nozzles, Fleece PowerFlo 750 CP3, Fleece lift pump, ARP 625, Hamilton springs and pushrods. 4.10 gears
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Eb failue

have been talking to service manager at dealer, good guy, he is goin to get it taken care of, thanks to all for the info, new to forums and have never had any problems out of this truck, I have another 14 we deleted when it had 58k on it cause the def pump went out and there was not one to be had, the finally said they could get one shipped from some dealer in Canada and the freight and install would be 1950, we deleted it for 1800, thanks to all for the help
cumminsdieselfreak likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:05 AM
Cummins Nut

Mine did the same. Turns out my turbo was fine.

But the little exhaust pressure sensor and tube were filled up with carbon. I cleaned them out, and after some driving it hard it started working again. Never failed again.

Get some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode