2015 ram 3500 rearend problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Saintly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 2015 ram 3500 rearend problems

Good Morning group i own a 2015ram 3500 dually aisin, 4.10 with 147000 miles and pull gooseneck flatbed about 80% of time hauling rebar all over northern and central california. i bought my truck in July of 2015 at autonation dodge in roseville and within several months noticed my rear end chatter also especially while pulling trailer and accelerating in a turn left or right didnt matter ,took it in several times and was advised by tech that they all do it and it is common and not a problem. march 2017 with 80,000 miles on it the rearend is extremely loud and growling excessivly in cabin take it in the remove plug and claim to have found fine metal shavings but still tried to pass it off as no big deal until i made them pull cover when they discovered a nice layer of metal parts on bottom. pulled the carrier and discovered that the left side (drivers side) had disintegrated (bearing) and even the race had begun to break off in pieces. first they tried to put blame on me for having a 40,000 GVW weight sticker on side. as i told them nice try but that bearing does not carry weight and is affected by the torque of engine and is basically a centering bearing for diff. they covered it under my mopar extended warranty. after rebuild the rear end still had chattering issues. july 2018 at 124,000 same thing all over again and took it in to same shop and same bull wall that i ran into first time. after arguing they opened up the cover same results as first time and yes same bearing again but this time really did alot of damage to ring gear. i contacted west coast differential and a local shop JAWS and both shops advised me that it seems to be either installer error or more likely the carrier is bad and needs to be replaced (kind of like the dana true lock but AAM brand) however they could not say for sure and would not be able to properly diagnose without inspecting themselves. i understood and respected them for their answers. went to dealership and told them that what i had discovered from actual pros who does this everyday. i was advised by the shop foreman that he contacted his regional service advisor and they concluded that nothing wrong with carrier. i asked them how they are able to clean the carrier of metal shavings and chunks on a bench top since the component is not servicable nor can it be rotated to clean gears to ensure completely clean. he advised me that chrysler advised them to place in solvent tank and flush to clean before reinstalling. now any moron can see this was a bad idea because you cannot possibly clean thouroghly without disassembling unit. extended warranty would not pay for the carrier if shop didnt advise it needed it. got truck back after rebuild and the chattering was immediately worse than ever before. present day at 147,000 miles and now we are getting to end of extended 150,000 mile warranty same thing happened again same shop different shop manager. claimed road tested and no noise i demanded he go for a ride with me and we never left the parking lot and he finally heard something but he claimed probably u joint due to milage i told him NO check it so they finally did four days later pulled cover and same outcome. took carrier out and again same bearing was in early stages of failing. new tech this time and he agreed probably carrier bad. YOU THINK?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dumbasses anyhow went to speak to service manager and she advised me to contact chrysler and get a case started with a case manager. case manager is aware of repeated issues and that my business is down due to repeated bearing failure so now the case is being reviewed by upper management for possible buy back or replacement but they are still trying to commit to just fixing it. just fixing it worrys me due to fact that in 3000 miles the warranty expires and if it fails after that then its on me to fix. when this is all said and done the truck will have been in the shop totaling over 30 days over past three years. i advised the case manager that i have not retained councel yet and she advised me that if i do get a lemon law attorney she would no longer deal with me and it will be turned over to her legal dept. well as of last night i was still getting the run around so i contacted an attorney so they are reviewing my case and will advise me hopefully today if they will represent me in this matter. P.S. truck is just sitting in backlot now with no estimate to repair no parts ordered no plan at all just letting it sit there until case management makes a decision on what to do. tick tock tick as i am losing money daily and unable to rent a pickup to tow gooseneck trailers. sorry so long guys but didnt want to leave out important info to help anyone else with similar problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Cummins Nut

Warranty or no warranty, if you're bleeding money from loss of revenue(truck down) I would buy a good used complete axle from a yard and swap it in.

$2500- $3000 plus 2-3 hrs labor and your back in biz.

https://imageappoh.car-part.com/imag...ock%23%20T4458

Multi-Part Search | A1 Auto Wreckers

or

Search Results
Don_T and rodeoj like this.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saintly For This Useful Post:
patmccurrytrucking (04-06-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:29 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Maybe it would be cost effective to buy the new carrier out of pocket if you really believe that to be the problem, as you are loosing money without the truck to do your work with. BTW, there is a guy in the 4th gen general forum that is having somewhat identical problems and failures on his 3500 dually. His is a link to his post so you can peruse as you wish or not.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...nd-issues.html

2011 Laramie 2500 Crew 4x4 w/ 8' box, 68RFE transmission with trans tune, H&S mini w/5" exhaust, sinister egr delete, arp head studs, S&B cold air intake, B&W rollover goose neck hitch, roll'n'lock bed cover
The Following User Says Thank You to Den52 For This Useful Post:
patmccurrytrucking (04-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

As of right now the dealership sent Mopar extended warranty the estimate for repairs and this time they included replacing the carrier @$3800.00 so we will see. i talked to the tech who removed the carrier this time and showed me the failing bearing on driver side (left) and he thinks that it is the carrier also. after they rebuild the rearend for the third time and with the new carrier if it fails again the only thing left is possible that the left tube has issues but not sure. no uneven tire wear, however i go thru drive tires at about 35000 miles but thats with even wear accross all four rear tires. but i had that problem on my 88 peterbilt 379 also with my pumped up big cam 400.more torque more wear have to lighten up on pedal. the rearend in my ram has been making noises in turns while accelerating since i bought it new and every time i took it in they advised me that they all make that noise. my buddy bought 2016 3500 mega 4x4 aisin, 4.10 and pulls gooseneck also and his makes slightly less noise than mine and he has not had any issues with his yet. however we discover from 2015 to 2016 they upgraded the rearend slighty larger diam ring gear and two extra ring gear bolts. not sure why but his has 900 ft lb torque and my truck is labeled as 865 ft lbs. i sure hope they planned in advance for the new 2019 1000 ft lb in the new rams. i do know they upgraded the u joints to a CV joint instead for the driveline
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmccurrytrucking View Post
As of right now the dealership sent Mopar extended warranty the estimate for repairs and this time they included replacing the carrier @$3800.00 so we will see. i talked to the tech who removed the carrier this time and showed me the failing bearing on driver side (left) and he thinks that it is the carrier also. after they rebuild the rearend for the third time and with the new carrier if it fails again the only thing left is possible that the left tube has issues but not sure. no uneven tire wear, however i go thru drive tires at about 35000 miles but thats with even wear accross all four rear tires. but i had that problem on my 88 peterbilt 379 also with my pumped up big cam 400.more torque more wear have to lighten up on pedal. the rearend in my ram has been making noises in turns while accelerating since i bought it new and every time i took it in they advised me that they all make that noise. my buddy bought 2016 3500 mega 4x4 aisin, 4.10 and pulls gooseneck also and his makes slightly less noise than mine and he has not had any issues with his yet. however we discover from 2015 to 2016 they upgraded the rearend slighty larger diam ring gear and two extra ring gear bolts. not sure why but his has 900 ft lb torque and my truck is labeled as 865 ft lbs. i sure hope they planned in advance for the new 2019 1000 ft lb in the new rams. i do know they upgraded the u joints to a CV joint instead for the driveline

I don't think the axle tubes are causing your problems, but the actual gear housing pumpkin being cast askew could. Hope this solves your rear end woes and you can drive that truck with a grin that makes your cheeks hurt.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 AM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,919 Times in 3,186 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
I’m surprised extended warranty is covering ANYTHING since you’re obviously commercial.....

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60 C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDRs, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 150,076 miles and 2,654 hours as of July 12, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode