Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-powertrain/)
-   -   AS68RC question (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-powertrain/2492761-as68rc-question.html)

WDK-KDW 02-11-2019 06:30 PM

AS68RC question

So I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW.

It has an AS68RC in it as opposed to the as69rc

The dealer said he doesn't know why it is a 68 instead of a 69, as if it was a mistake and it shouldn't be in there. nonetheless, I have an issue

I had a transmission flush at a local oil and lube shop and the guy assured me his fluid is compatible. after about 5 miles of driving the shifting is off, torque converter has a hard time locking up, and when it was cold one morning when I stopped at a red light, it stalled and killed the engine when I tried to take off.

Turns out the fluid is a CAM2 Dexron-VI Multi-vehicle Full synthetic ATF, which is labeled on their site to be compatible with the AS68RC (page 2)

Ram dealer does not have it marked as compatible but said to leave the fluid in for a few hundred miles and check back in, they set tranny to relearn.

Two days later, shifting is worse.

I looked up AIsinTransmission website and found this
It specifically states Dexron and Mercon fluid is not compatible and will cause damage.

I have two questions if you would please.

1. Is the AS68RC in a 2014 3500 SRW out of place?

My truck goes into the shop in two days for them to check it out and see what to do.

2. Should I pay for a flush at the dealer to see how it handles afterward or should I push for written documentation from the dealer then check with the oil lube people for their insurance information and make a claim?

Thanks,

-Stressed out person

WDK-KDW 02-11-2019 10:36 PM

I had a nice little chat with someone at Ram tonight.

My truck VIN dictates it has an AS69RC in it.

.....but it has a 68 in it... from what I can tell from google, my engine puts out more torque than the 68 is rated to handle.....

You know what I always thought was weird?

I got about 11k off sticker for this truck new. One of the last in the lot of the 14's when I bought it in September of 14 and it had almost 200 miles on the Odometer when I got in it the first time.

I guess Ill go see the dealer tomorrow and investigate what tranny is in it and which should be in it....

Open to advice on ANY of this.... =/

EDIT: If I crawled under my truck to look for a model number on my transmission, where would it be?

BrianF 02-17-2019 10:33 PM

If I recall, the 68 was only on C&C trucks prior to 2013.

FCA called the fluid for both the 68 and 69 as AS68RC fluid, then just ASRC I believe. No apparent difference from what I gather, its just relabelled Mobil 3309, which is relabeled as Toyota T4. The first drain and fill on my truck (only 1 done so far) I had used PetroCanada Duradrive multi vehicle ATF. It runs absolutely fine. PetroCan now came out with a low viscosity Duradrive that they state is backwards compatible with ASRC.

Is your fluid suitable for use/approved in JWS 3309 or Toyota T4 or Toyota WS?

Hectori 02-18-2019 07:21 PM

Don`t know about your case, but i would flush the system and fill it with correct (mopar) fluid.

Some time ago i had 3 47re transmissions with same kind shifting issues. 2 of them i rebuilded and 1 was just fluid change. Every transmission was filled with same atf 4+ spec oil. When i realised that all of them had same oil in them i started to be suspicious about the oil. I drained the fluid from 1 transmission and put another brand atf 4+ oil in for test and that fixed the issue. So i did the same to other 2 and they were also fixed. So now i use only mopar or redline oils in my mopar transmissions and haven`t had a problem after that.

So if your shifting problems started right after oil change, i would not be suprised if it was because the oil they used.

And what comes with multivehicle fluids, i am not actually a fan of those. But that is just my personal preference.

BrianF 02-18-2019 10:44 PM

On this topic, I really like multi vehicle fluids but with caution: well known companies, carrying either approvals or suitable for use and whether it's viscosity is compatible.

Petrocan/suncor is a major oil player. They blend for the oem's and carry many licensed products. They have a caveat on their tech sheets explaining their suitable for use and whether they tested for differing viscosity.