2wd vs 4wd suspension differences?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wambo1986
  • 1 Post By Wambo1986

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2wd vs 4wd suspension differences??

Hello everyone, new on this form. Also new to the Cummins world. I recently got a truck I couldn’t pass up. Super clean 2014 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed, deleted, intake, tuner, exhaust 60k miles on the clock but it’s 2wd... It’s bare bones, Manual locks, windows, rubber floors, no fancy gadgets.

On to my question. I use to own a 2016 4x4 hemi ram and the suspension looks like same as the 2wd I have now. Does anyone know what the differences are between them?

I did read that with the G56 manual trans I can pull the tail section off and replace the seal and bolt the manual (non eclectic) transfer case to it.. so my thinking is if a front axle out of a 4x4 truck would bolt in... maybe converting this truck wouldn’t be too bad?

There is a 2013 at a junk yard close to my house that has a transfer case and matching axle to what my rear is...

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Sorry for the long post but the only thing I don’t really like about this truck is that it’s 2wd.. but on the other hand I could leave it 2wd, put a big turbo on it and have a lot of fun on the highway lol.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambo1986 View Post
Hello everyone, new on this form. Also new to the Cummins world. I recently got a truck I couldnít pass up. Super clean 2014 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed, deleted, intake, tuner, exhaust 60k miles on the clock but itís 2wd... Itís bare bones, Manual locks, windows, rubber floors, no fancy gadgets.

On to my question. I use to own a 2016 4x4 hemi ram and the suspension looks like same as the 2wd I have now. Does anyone know what the differences are between them?

I did read that with the G56 manual trans I can pull the tail section off and replace the seal and bolt the manual (non eclectic) transfer case to it.. so my thinking is if a front axle out of a 4x4 truck would bolt in... maybe converting this truck wouldnít be too bad?

There is a 2013 at a junk yard close to my house that has a transfer case and matching axle to what my rear is...

Whatís everyoneís thoughts? Sorry for the long post but the only thing I donít really like about this truck is that itís 2wd.. but on the other hand I could leave it 2wd, put a big turbo on it and have a lot of fun on the highway lol.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to say.. it is never that easy..
first off you have to make sure the frame is the same.. I doubt it but it is possible.. go look at the one in the yard.
second.. it may not have the same mounts configured to the frame.. such as the spring mounts, shock mounts, steering suspension mounts..

the gear box may be the easiest part.. but watch out for the main shaft being different.. you may have to tear down the trans to fit the main
shaft that will work with the transfer case.. then there is the whole tcase shifting lever, switch thing..
also the wiring that switches the axle lock on the front axle when you activate the front diff..
then there is the computer that has no idea how to react to the 4wd switch that you just added..

I would bet it would drive your traction system completely nuts ....

just a few things to consider.. computer may be your biggest issue..

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

that's what im hoping someone in here could tell me. visually they frames and suspensions look the same, like if its a 2wd truck they just used a different axle.

shifter will be easy, ill take the one from the truck in the junkyard, its floor mounted and is the same consul i have in my truck, ill just have to cut the floor.

computer is the other concerns i have. figure abs will hook up the same, i dont have a computer for my trans since its manual, but will the transfercase need anything to make it work??

im not getting an axle with any special locker in it.. so it wont be electronically controlled either.. in gauge transfer case and go
ktwillys likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
that's what im hoping someone in here could tell me. visually they frames and suspensions look the same, like if its a 2wd truck they just used a different axle.

shifter will be easy, ill take the one from the truck in the junkyard, its floor mounted and is the same consul i have in my truck, ill just have to cut the floor.

computer is the other concerns i have. figure abs will hook up the same, i dont have a computer for my trans since its manual, but will the transfercase need anything to make it work??

im not getting an axle with any special locker in it.. so it wont be electronically controlled either.. in gauge transfer case and go
I doubt the tcase will need any computer at all..
the only thing will be you will not have the wire to hook up to tell you that you are in 4wd.. no icon on the dash..
it is possible that the wiring may exist but one can always be hopeful..
you may be able to get the ecm flashed by Ram or even pickup an ecm from a 4wd vehicle but the VIN's wont match and that is a hole new whoopin.. .
I would say if you got the frame connections that are the same.. and have a manual box.. I think it would work..
maybe an AlphaOBD will help with any systems that need to be changed..

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

i guess the biggest thing i need to know is how close the suspensions are.. can a 4x4 front axle bolt in? and are the frames the same..

looks like im in uncharted territory here
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
i guess the biggest thing i need to know is how close the suspensions are.. can a 4x4 front axle bolt in? and are the frames the same..

looks like im in uncharted territory here
you have a pretty good chance of the frames being the same if not close..

look at the 4wd frame take a lot of pictures and measurements..
it will take some studying but it will be worth it in the long run..

they both should be coil spring suspensions if I remember correctly ..

if so half the battle is that.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

yeah, both coil springs and radius arms. i would need to check to make sure the radius arms are the same, coil and shocks are same location.. as well as steering and track bars
ktwillys likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

anyone else have any insight?!?!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have taken all the measurements and it seems front suspensions are the same. So I’m going to be picking up a front axle from a local junk yard soon. We will see how this goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode