2018 drive cycle - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2018 drive cycle

I just bought a 2018 Ram 3500, and because I bought it out of state I have to get it smog checked here in California. The smog monitors are not ready for reading, according to the OBD2 read out. I have driven almost 1100 miles, and they are still not ready. Does anyone know the specific drive cycle for this truck for the Cummins diesel engine, 2018 version? Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Diesel Head

Not specific but have read it can upwards of a couple/few thousand miles with many starts in between. Keep on driving. How long do you have before you have to get it done?

2014 3500 Tradesman CCSB, SRW, 6.7, G56, QG56DDSN-ORG, ST MAXX 295/70-18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Cummins Nut

Man they are going to hit you with weight fees and heavy taxes for buying out of state.

2018 CCLB 3500 SRW 4X4 Laramie - Air Bags - BW Companion - Cat 2 Micron Fuel Filter - Amp Steps - Thuren 1.75 - King 2.0 IFP - PML Rear Diff Cover
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH 5th Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I have to go back to DMV regardless of this issue, because they need to "verify the VIN" number. On a brand new truck!
I am just trying to avoid going back to get another extension. The current extension expires at the end of December.
So far, no mention by DMV of any weight fees or any penalty for buying out of state.

This is just DMV being DMV, I guess.

If anyone knows what the drive cycle is for this motor, I would sure love to hear about it!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rcadrvr View Post
I have to go back to DMV regardless of this issue, because they need to "verify the VIN" number. On a brand new truck!
I am just trying to avoid going back to get another extension. The current extension expires at the end of December.
So far, no mention by DMV of any weight fees or any penalty for buying out of state.

This is just DMV being DMV, I guess.

If anyone knows what the drive cycle is for this motor, I would sure love to hear about it!
I'm a 3500 owner from CA as well. Once all your paperwork is complete and turned in ( You will also have to get it weighed on a certified scale) then they will hit you with sales tax, weight fees, import taxes, etc. Your annual license/Tags will be 8-1100.00 a year.

2016 3500 SLT DRW, Aisin, 410, Bright white
Pulling 2017 Sundowner 3 Horse LQ horse trailer.
Competitive Rodeo Athlete
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitastic View Post
I'm a 3500 owner from CA as well. Once all your paperwork is complete and turned in ( You will also have to get it weighed on a certified scale) then they will hit you with sales tax, weight fees, import taxes, etc. Your annual license/Tags will be 8-1100.00 a year.
I can't help with his problem, but the total to bring it into Cali will be close to 6K

2018 CCLB 3500 SRW 4X4 Laramie - Air Bags - BW Companion - Cat 2 Micron Fuel Filter - Amp Steps - Thuren 1.75 - King 2.0 IFP - PML Rear Diff Cover
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Cummins Nut

You need to do lots of varied driving. Do not drive a ton on the highway to start.

You need to soot up the dpf a couple of times and have at least 2 active regens

7 of the 9 will set very quickly. The other 2 are a real PITA to get set

Try lots of back roads and lots of stop and go traffic driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2011 2500 Mini Maxx and dpf delete pipe and egr delete
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, my dealer was unable to give me any good information, so I reached out to Ram.
Here is their (unbelievable) (and useless) reply:

"The Trip is essential for running monitors and extinguishing the MIL. In OBD II terms, a trip is a set of vehicle operating conditions that must be met for a specific monitor to run. All trips begin with a key cycle.
Good Trip
The Good Trip counters are as follows:
Global Good Trip
Fuel System Good Trip
Misfire Good Trip
Alternate Good Trip (appears as a Global Good Trip on scan tool)
Comprehensive Components
Major Monitor
Warm-Up Cycles
Global Good Trip
To increment a Global Good Trip, the Oxygen sensor and Catalyst efficiency monitors must have run and passed, and 2 minutes of engine run time.
Fuel System Good Trip
To count a good trip (three required) and turn off the MIL, the following conditions must occur:
Engine in closed loop
Operating in Similar Conditions Window
Short Term multiplied by Long Term less than threshold
Less than threshold for a predetermined time
If all of the previous criteria are met, the PCM will count a good trip (three required) and turn off the MIL.
Misfire Good Trip
If the following conditions are met the PCM will count one good trip (three required) in order to turn off the MIL:
Operating in Similar Condition Window
1000 engine revolutions with no misfire
Alternate Good Trip
Alternate Good Trips are used in place of Global Good Trips for Comprehensive Components and Major Monitors. If the Task Manager cannot run a Global Good Trip because a component fault is stopping the monitor from running, it will attempt to count an Alternate Good Trip.
The Task Manager counts an Alternate Good Trip for Comprehensive components when the following conditions are met:
Two minutes of engine run time, idle or driving
No other faults occur
The Task Manager counts an Alternate Good Trip for a Major Monitor when the monitor runs and passes. Only the Major Monitor that failed needs to pass to count an Alternate Good Trip.
Warm-Up Cycles
Once the MIL has been extinguished by the Good Trip Counter, the PCM automatically switches to a Warm-Up Cycle Counter that can be viewed on the scan tool. Warm-Up Cycles are used to erase DTCs and Freeze Frames. Forty Warm-Up cycles must occur in order for the PCM to self-erase a DTC and Freeze Frame. A Warm-Up Cycle is defined as follows:
Engine coolant temperature must start below and rise above 160 F (71 C)
Engine coolant temperature must rise by 40 F (4.5 C)
No further faults occur"

My temporary registration expires at the end of this month. I have to go get another "not ready" smog test to get another extension. The old "not ready" smog test won't work, per DMV.
So, I'll just keep driving it, getting "not ready" smog tests, going back to DMV, and generally running around in circles until it passes. Still waiting on the catalyst and particulate monitors.
Thanks to all who have attempted to help!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Cummins Nut

FYI I have to do this yearly for my emissions testing. 11 months a year I am deleted. Then for 1 month a year I have to install everything and drive enough for the monitors to set. Then go for my inspection

And like I said, highway miles do nothing for you as far as setting monitors.

My procedure is as follows:

Drive backroads and off highway for about two weeks, lots of stop and go and shorter trips. Find some heavy traffic and sit in it and lots of stop and go.

Then take a longer trip on the highway.

I just did this last month, took about 1000 miles. Shortest has been 400 a couple years ago

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:20 PM

what a pain in the butt.. Im from cali as well and was looking into purchasing a new truck in Idaho.. might not be worth the hassle. .
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Cummins Nut

Honestly, its not that bad if you know what to expect and how to get them to set the soonest. Like I said I do this every single year

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam909 View Post
what a pain in the butt.. Im from cali as well and was looking into purchasing a new truck in Idaho.. might not be worth the hassle. .
If you find the right deal in Cali no need to buy out of state and have all the hassles.

My truck had sticker price of almost 72k I paid 58k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode