Service Electronic Throttle Body - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 1 Post By WJHauling
  • 1 Post By ktwillys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Service Electronic Throttle Body

Just wondering if anyone else is getting this message with any regularity..
I get it ramdomly but probably once a week if not more and sometimes several times a day.
Does not throw a code so the dealer just says cant duplicate. ,what bs..

Since I am going to delete here soon.. probably wont matter but want to see if what others are seeing..

thanks in advance

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Cummins Fan

When mine said ("SERVICE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM"), This is what it meant for me. My intake air control valve was stuck closed. If I remember right this happened to me on the 470 south side of Denver. First few times it killed the truck I was able to restart it but eventually I couldn't restart the truck and had to be pulled backwards out of the way. Luckily I was able to get that gaskets and clean it and get back on the road.The message came and went away a few times in the week before that. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to WJHauling For This Useful Post:
ktwillys (12-14-2018)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
All compliments of the EGR valve..
man does that look nasty..

thank you very much for posting the pictures.. that is exactly what I am afraid I am going to find..

funny part is mine started this within a week of purchase..

Well your pictures settled it for me.. it is now part of the delete that is coming soon..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Cummins Fan

If I wasn't DOT regulated I would have deleted long ago. We run fully legal though. Glad those pics helped. The egr is basically just pumping crap back into the engine. At least the way I've come to see it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
ktwillys likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
AGREE.. the egr is just a way to trash a good motor..

I am lucky enough to be able to delete..
WJHauling likes this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM

I am also having an intermittent issue with the service electronic throttle control light coming on. When in temps above 50 degrees it isn't an issue, but when in 30's or less, it comes on once and a while when stopped at a stoplight. I don't have my foot on both the brake and accelerator and not towing. I don't notice the truck running rough or anything either. The light goes out a couple seconds later. Now, with that said, the last couple of months i have experienced an increase in rpm's while towing, but after coming to a stop. This has happened once not long after towing a boat to storage and twice while towing my 5th wheel. Each time my rpm's would go from about 1500 to 2000 while i have my foot on the brake. I would tap the accelerator to try and get the r's to decrease but they would increase with each tap and hold steady. Recently, while stopped in heavy traffic, the rpm's went up to 3000. I put truck in park and shut it off. After a minute i restarted and it was fine.
I have since made it down to Florida and haven't had an issue with the light, or rpm's since. Don't know if this is the same problem you are having, but it seems to me the throttle control may need replaced? I have a 2013 Ram 2500. Anyone experience this before?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Following...

My ETC light and check engine light came on yesterday during my drive home from work. I live in Eastern Iowa and we had outside temps around 25F. Drove it last night a couple more times with no noticeable issues. The ETC light did go off on my way home late last night. This morning I got to leave for work and it would crank but not fire. "Stole" the wife's mini van to get to work today Later in the morning I had her go to the truck to see what it would do and it fired right up, no lights, no nothing, runs fine... I went home to take it to the shop and the only noticeable thing is it is hunting a little when it auto-idles. It fluctuates about 100RPM or so. Needless to say it is now at the shop being looked at.

I too feel a delete coming but need to get past the last 15 months of warranty...

2012 2500 Laramie, 6.7L 4x4 w/ 68RFE Auto Trans, Mega Cab Short Box w/ AFE CAI, AFE trans pan, AFE rear diff cover, Throttle-Up Industries fuel filter kit, Alpharig steering stabilizer brace
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Cummins Fanatic

So I'm no further ahead... See this post.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...l#post28898995

2012 2500 Laramie, 6.7L 4x4 w/ 68RFE Auto Trans, Mega Cab Short Box w/ AFE CAI, AFE trans pan, AFE rear diff cover, Throttle-Up Industries fuel filter kit, Alpharig steering stabilizer brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode