Help! Service 4wd System message - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Help! Service 4wd System message

Hey folks,

In the middle of a trip (a long one, of course) with trailer in tow.

Keep getting "service 4wd system" message. Happens every 15seconds to 5 minutes, with a "bong" from the alert system and then the message.

My Edge Insight is not showing any codes.

Truck drives fine, everything works as designed. Have not tried 4wd.

T-case fluid was changed at 60k, just over 4,000 miles ago.

Advice??

17 2500 CCSB Laramie Longhorn, Steel Blue over Saddle/black, CTS2, stock
01 2500, QCSB 4x4, Fass, 3rd gen brakes, 4th gen steering, Revmax fully built, Blue Chip VP44, Edge Comp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Cummins Nut

You will be OK for now, just won't be able to use 4WD. Will have to have a new actuator installed. Covered under the drive train warranty. I have had 4 of these replaced since I have owned this truck. Every time mine went out I wasn't even using the 4WD, and on a long trip. Must be Chinese parts.

2014 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4X4, SRW, Cummins/Aisin, Black Gold, Rambox.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Weird. I'll take it in when I get back. Oddly we unhooked the trailer and went and explored the Sand Dunes in Colorado. There was a 4wd trail (and of course we left the jeeps back at camp, not expecting such). Threw the truck in 4wd, and carried on. Did just fine... now, I didn't get serious as I didn't wanna get the tow rig stuck, but definitely needed 4wd in a couple places and it operated normally.

The message hasn't re-appeared. We'll see what happens on the trip home...

17 2500 CCSB Laramie Longhorn, Steel Blue over Saddle/black, CTS2, stock
01 2500, QCSB 4x4, Fass, 3rd gen brakes, 4th gen steering, Revmax fully built, Blue Chip VP44, Edge Comp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Cummins Nut

Mine has done it several times too. I'm going to have the dealer look at it when I go in for my recalls.

2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Crew Cab 68RFE 4x4
295/75/18 Cooper ST Maxx on 18x9 Mayhem Warrior wheels.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd01 View Post
You will be OK for now, just won't be able to use 4WD. Will have to have a new actuator installed. Covered under the drive train warranty. I have had 4 of these replaced since I have owned this truck. Every time mine went out I wasn't even using the 4WD, and on a long trip. Must be Chinese parts.
And you know this fact how? There are numerous connections, a BCM, PCM, CAD, encoder motor, as well as wiring also involved. With as many folks with hundreds of thousands of miles on their trucks with no Cad or encoder failures your problem could easily be poor diagnostic abilities of the tech working on your truck. The likelihood of 4 failures of the same part on your truck is slight.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Just a warning to anyone else who experiences this problem. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT! Cycle to 4wd low. I'm stuck 500 miles from home, and 500 miles from my vacation waiting for Chrysler roadside assistance to tow my 22,000 mile truck to the nearest dealership. So much for spring break in Florida.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Cummins Nut

I just recently had my 5th Actuator replaced. I was on a trip again and sure enough there goes the "Service 4WD" message. I don't know what is going on with these, but it is getting real frustrating. I'm at the point that I really can't depend on this truck for long trips. I did make a star case this time, but doubt it will make any difference. I feel that there is a problem that can't seem to be figured out. I really do like my truck and it runs good. I just can't depend on the 4WD system. One more year Max Care, and then what. I'm very disappointed with this.

2014 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4X4, SRW, Cummins/Aisin, Black Gold, Rambox.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMull View Post
Just a warning to anyone else who experiences this problem. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT! Cycle to 4wd low. I'm stuck 500 miles from home, and 500 miles from my vacation waiting for Chrysler roadside assistance to tow my 22,000 mile truck to the nearest dealership. So much for spring break in Florida.
Can you reach under the truck, unhook the motor from the t case lever and slide it into 2wd?

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM

I had the same problem on my last truck. Cleaned out the wire connector on the actuator and it fixed my problem. Bad connection kept vibrating loose and throwing on the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in