Attn: Guys who have installed a S.B. or Valair single mass flywheel. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Attn: Guys who have installed a S.B. or Valair single mass flywheel.

Do either or both of these companies retain the stock driveplate on the back of the crank? Or do they eliminate it and use a spacer behind their SMF?

I have removed three Single mass/ dual disk kits from customers trucks at my job, and all three had a 3/4" spacer and long bolts going thru the flywheel then the spacer and directly into the crank.

Since I did not install these kits, I'm unsure which brands they were.

I'm not keen on putting a spacer in when it comes time to replace my clutch, I'd rather retain the stock driveplate / flexplate setup.

The last kit we installed was made by "Perfection" and it included a SMF flywheel that attached just like stock. It seemed nice, but time will tell how it lasts.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I just installed my Valair DD Ceramic clutch 2weeks ago about 500mile on it so far. From what I remember when I installed it I ditch all my stock DMF/ flex plate setup and added NO spacer to back of the crank just bolted BARE my new single FLYWHEEL with from my Valair kit like a simple DD clutch install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ssbuilt808 For This Useful Post:
Saintly (04-18-2018)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Valair Inc. Clutch

Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
We do not use any of the stock components when changing over to one of our kits.

97 12V The Farm Truck Too much to list.
13 CCSB 4x4 Laramie
15 CCDRW 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valair1 For This Useful Post:
DarylB (04-19-2018), Saintly (04-19-2018), Valair sales and service (04-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valair1 View Post
We do not use any of the stock components when changing over to one of our kits.
Until we hear from some southbend owners, can you share some details on the Valair flywheel?

Does it use a spacer or is it a solid one piece setup that attaches directly to the crank? Roughly how long are the attaching bolts?

Why would directly mounting it with longer bolts be preferred over using the drive/flex plate method?

Certainly the driveplate design is plenty stout, as it is used in the high output trucks in front of the auto trans. Are there drawbacks? advantages?

Thanks

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Cummins Fanatic

On the Valair set up itís a solid one piece that bolt directly to the bear crank. I believe thatís how SB setup is also.. also the kit give you new flywheel bolts I believe itís not that long just enough so you can just bolt donít the single flywheel to the crank with no spacers between

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Cummins Fanatic

The flex plate method is designed with the DMF setup but once you do a Single flywheel Conversionthen you DITCH all stock components until the bear crank.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssbuilt808 View Post
The flex plate method is designed with the DMF setup but once you do a Single flywheel Conversionthen you DITCH all stock components until the bear crank.

Actually, LUK , Sachs/Valeo, and Perfection/Brute all make SMF conversion kits which retain the OEM driveplate.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Wow.. didnít realize/ research that... from what I been reading most guys on here run SB or valair on these G56s not saying the other brands are no good but most really recommend SB and Valair

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Almost exactly one year later, my perfection solid flywheel conversion clutch began slipping. It happened on the interstate while climbing a grade with the cruise control on in 6th(g56).

I'm thinking it may be a result of the big tires I recently installed. The cruise control grabbed a big piece of throttle to pull the hill and the RPM's just ran away.

The cruise cancelled itself when the RPM's got up to 3K , I reset it and it did it again.

I think I'm going to re-install the DMF setup with a new friction disk. It had way nicer "manners" with the dual mass anyway.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:46 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,416 Times in 2,490 Posts
I'd give a pretty hard look at the Valair DD organic. Very nice manners. Some "give" to it when taking off, it's not just a light switch. Also holds the powa. Had one on my '10, stock fuel deleted with a s465. Never once slipped in 4 years. Even pulling 15-20k on the 100hp tune. And I dont have a light foot. Will be putting one on my '16 soon.
Just thinking a stock clutch wont last you very long so unless you really like the quite or replacing clutches..

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
Just thinking a stock clutch wont last you very long so unless you really like the quite or replacing clutches..
I definitely do like the quietness and smoothness of the stock dmf setup. My original one started to act up around thirty thousand miles.

Everyone said it was the DMF coming apart, but the flywheel was good except for 2-3 hot spots in the friction surface. It was actually the center of the disk that failed badly on my original clutch.

The herky-jerky bucking and all that clatter noise with the solid conversion was a real drag. And now the slipping with just 8K miles?

I'm looking to go back to the DMF and a new oem disk. Swapping the clutch is not hard at all. If I have to do it every 2-3 years it's worth it to enjoy driving the truck again.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,416 Times in 2,490 Posts
You're more patient than I am. I would not want to swap a clutch every couple years. Maybe if I had a lift and proper trans jack. I loved my Valair and it was silky smooth in nearly all operation. Have to get organic discs. I guess for the price you could do a few stock type clutches though.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode