Attn: Guys who have installed a S.B. or Valair single mass flywheel. - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
I definitely do like the quietness and smoothness of the stock dmf setup. My original one started to act up around thirty thousand miles.

Everyone said it was the DMF coming apart, but the flywheel was good except for 2-3 hot spots in the friction surface. It was actually the center of the disk that failed badly on my original clutch.

The herky-jerky bucking and all that clatter noise with the solid conversion was a real drag. And now the slipping with just 8K miles?

I'm looking to go back to the DMF and a new oem disk. Swapping the clutch is not hard at all. If I have to do it every 2-3 years it's worth it to enjoy driving the truck again.

If you're still running ATF the trans may make a great deal of noise. I use Amsoil MTG.
I asked LUK to consider a stronger DMF as guys were slipping the stocker. That was 12 years ago.
I miss that near silent trans.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
You're more patient than I am. I would not want to swap a clutch every couple years. Maybe if I had a lift and proper trans jack.
I actually do have access to a lift and the proper jack, but truth be told I've done clutches on these trucks by just disconnecting the drive shafts and the shifter stick, unbolt the bell and slide it back 6".

With the unit clutch/flexplate setup there is nothing to align and the whole job can be done in about an hour.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderson View Post
If you're still running ATF the trans may make a great deal of noise. I use Amsoil MTG.
I asked LUK to consider a stronger DMF as guys were slipping the stocker. That was 12 years ago.
I miss that near silent trans.
I got 8 quarts of delvac in there. Filled it through my custom made pto cover. It's still a noisy unsettling beast.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Cummins Nut

I just installed a south bend dual disk about 3k miles ago and I absolutely love the way this truck drives now. Yes little more jerky then stock along with a tiny tiny bit firmer pedal but the truck performs wayyyyyyyy better.
F that dual mass flywheel and stock clutch. I’ll take a dual disk any day. I had 8k miles on my truck when I put the dual disk in and I could already tell there was way more play in the dmf then there should have been. Also don’t miss the dmf rattle sounding like a u joints going bad every time you push in the clutch while your rolling.

If your after the most smooth easy shifting trans in the world buy a car. It’s a medium duty truck trans. What you want??.
Peterman9000 likes this.

Project:1998 Toyota Tacoma 4bt Cummins crawler
Sold: 2005 QCLB 2500 SRW full billet auto ~500hp
Current: 2018 cclb 3500 laramie g56 stock for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
You're more patient than I am. I would not want to swap a clutch every couple years. Maybe if I had a lift and proper trans jack.
I actually do have access to a lift and the proper jack, but truth be told I've done clutches on these trucks by just disconnecting the drive shafts and the shifter stick, unbolt the bell and slide it back 6".

With the unit clutch/flexplate setup there is nothing to align and the whole job can be done in about an hour.

Damn stock clutch for stock clutch that sounds easy! I wish I was smart enough to think of that. I was always told to change pilot bearing and flywheel. If my clutch wears out with low mileage I’ll give your technique a try.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode