Front Drive Shaft Woes - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SRich12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front Drive Shaft Woes

Looking for experience here. Hopefully from a vendor

I have been chasing a loud, habitual, binding noise from my front end for months now. It rarely goes away and vibrates through the floorboards at high speeds.

The truck has been to 3 different shops in Elkhart Indiana. To date, all of my ball joints, u-joints, wheel bearings and carrier bearing for the front shaft have been replaced. The third shop even rebuilt my front differential, but found nothing wrong once they got inside. Problem has never been fixed and each shop said they had run out of ideas. Hence 3 shops....

$2500 later, a friend recommended I remove the front drive shaft and see if that is the problem. Truck drives like a dream! It’s defiantly the front drive shaft.

I took the front shaft in to be rebuilt. $450 and it was completed. Shop said there was nothing wrong with it though.

I put the front shaft back on and it drives fine........for 2 blocks. I decide to drive it with the noise and all, in hopes that it just blows up. Three weeks later the noise is still there as well as the vibration. However, the noise is becoming more and more faint.

WTFrick. Any ideas? Should I get a custom shaft made? I’m scared to put another $500 into it and not be the problem for the 5th time. I’m $3k into it now and nothing has been resolved. I have narrowed it down to the front shaft I think. It drives like a Cadillac with it off. 2nd shop drained the fluid to the transfer case and said it was fine.

Truck has a 4.5 Febtech lift. w/35 12.5 tires. I have had the truck since new. The lift has been on for 5 years with no previous drive shaft issues. I did not extend the shaft, or index the transfer case. The kit did not recommend either. This problem just popped up. I’m am ready to beat the truck to death with a hammer!

2012 Laramie 4x4-Lifted, Tuned and Paid Off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:44 AM
Fastest Welder in Texas

A 4.5" lift shouldn't be causing the misalignment issues you are having... But...
In my '09 with a 10" lift, I had the same symptoms you are having, and I ordered a custom length front driveshaft from Tom Woods (I got a Woody!) Driveshafts... And no issues ever since 👍

04 CCLB 4x4 DRW... Short rod 6.4 build, treated peened and polished England's, 80%S&S, 10mm S&S CP3, AirDog 4g, 58/65/14 - 75/96/132, 103# springs, HD pushrods, ARP's EVERYWHERE, Fluidamper, ATS Stage 6, 5" one PC driveshaft. HPTunners by Larson Miller. 674hp & 1,369 TQ. Old 5.9 numbers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:45 AM
Fastest Welder in Texas

Have you been greasing your cardigan joint ?

04 CCLB 4x4 DRW... Short rod 6.4 build, treated peened and polished England's, 80%S&S, 10mm S&S CP3, AirDog 4g, 58/65/14 - 75/96/132, 103# springs, HD pushrods, ARP's EVERYWHERE, Fluidamper, ATS Stage 6, 5" one PC driveshaft. HPTunners by Larson Miller. 674hp & 1,369 TQ. Old 5.9 numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:21 AM
Cummins Freak

Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Free spin hubs and be done!!!
Kingsize likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 SLT Bighorn 4X4 White /295 Toyo AT2's /Full Console swop/w shifter / B&W Turnover Ball----
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie Cummins, 35" Toyo AT's / Center Console Shifter Mod. SOLD---- 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 Crew-Silver- 4:10's / Carli 3" Coils w/35" Toyo AT2's / Ranch Hand Bumper / B&W Turnover Ball / Center Console Swap w shifter SOLD!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

you should have ordered the Tom Woods shaft instead of paying to have the stock one rebuilt. You know if it comes apart on you at high speed it will cause lots of high dollar damage..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:36 AM

You may want to have the double joint ground for high angle. I had driveshaft shop do that to mine when they built a new one for me.

The noise and vibration could definitely be the result of joint bind due to the higher angle from the lift.

2016 Mega 3500 CTD BigHorn, G56, AEV lift, Carli radius arms, Carli steering stabilizer, Carli mini pack rear spring packs, AEV Salta wheels, 37" Toyo R/T, AAM 4.10 R&P, ARB air lockers F&R, ARB twin compressor, AEV bumper, Warn 16.5Ti-S, Morimoto fogs, Switch-Pros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode