'12 3500 4x4 front axle seal issues - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
'12 3500 4x4 front axle seal issues

The mechanic that is replacing my hubs, ball joints, and axle U joints found a leaking front axle seal. I looked up the Mopar part number and ordered for delivery yesterday since no one had one in stock. Mopar part number 5086686AA. Upon attempting installation today he found that it was too large to fit inside the axle tube. I double checked my part number and could not come up with an error. Is there a certain way that these get installed or a known issue with an alternate part number? Saying that it's afternoon on Saturday and we can't find anyone around that has a different part number he is going to put it back together to get it out of the shop and we will revisit this with more information.

2012 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 auto deleted Mini Maxx studded on 35's

98.5 3500 QC LB NV4500 4x4 3.55 SRW, DiPricol gauges, BHAF, 4" Silverline, FBD 150's, Edge Comp, Valair 3800 DD, Draw Straw, 1/2" Filter to IP Line, FASS 95HPFP, 2" Leveling Kit, DSS, 35" Toyo M/T, KDP killed 403HP/899 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Cummins Fan

Dumb question, is the mechanic installing the seal from the hub side or from the gear side of the diff?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

He assumed, as did I, that they install from the hub side. A little more research confirmed we were wrong and the whole chunk has to come out. WTF?

2012 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 auto deleted Mini Maxx studded on 35's

98.5 3500 QC LB NV4500 4x4 3.55 SRW, DiPricol gauges, BHAF, 4" Silverline, FBD 150's, Edge Comp, Valair 3800 DD, Draw Straw, 1/2" Filter to IP Line, FASS 95HPFP, 2" Leveling Kit, DSS, 35" Toyo M/T, KDP killed 403HP/899 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode