G56 Manual Hopping in Reverse - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cryoturbation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
G56 Manual Hopping in Reverse

I've got a 2014 4wd crew cab long bed with the manual tranny. I've replaced the stock clutch with a single mass fly wheel clutch from Napa. The problem that I'm having is that when I reverse with a load on the truck, the truck starts to hop/bounce. It doesn't matter how many or few of rpms I'm turning. Anybody experience this before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Are You Diesel Enough?

Garage
Generally, what people are describing is drive train shutter. This phenomenon is most common in trucks equipped with the G56 transmission. Usually, there are many related issues that can cause this problem. For one thing; if you have turned up the power of the engine, and now have a clutch, which transfers that extra power more abruptly, the drive train (which is not built for that) will respond by shaking. Worn mounts, u-joints, rear ends and springs can exaggerate this effect. Instability in the rear end, coupled with resistance from a load, are the main reasons this happens. One of the other things that made matters worse is the fact that (for fuel economy) Chrysler began using 3.43 and 3.55 gears in the rear end. They’re great when you’re cruising down the road in overdrive, but backing up from a dead stop…not so much.

There are a few simple and effective things you can do to address this problem.

Since “axle wrap”, or twisting of the axle and rear end housing, are the main culprit, the addition of ladder bars is one of the best things you can do to stabilize things.

If your truck is equipped with 4WD and low range…use it!

Again, since your new clutch is a little “grabbier”, a slight increase in RPM will help to smooth things out.

If you are using oversized tires, realize that they are making matters worse by increasing the amount of resistance on the drive train and re-gearing the axle will be immensely beneficial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sincerely,
Ashfurd "Ash" West – Sales Technician
Power Products Unlimited, Inc.
Toll Free: 888-993-4373
Direct Line: 509-795-8917
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm running everything stock and I'm running 1 size up from stock tires. There's 81k miles on the truck. as far as 4low, I'm on concrete and having to back into the driveway from the street and have to turn the wheels all the way in 1 direction. I would be worried about breaking a ujoint while turning that sharp. but yes the gears are not low enough in reverse. I've tried using different amounts of rpms from 1100 to 2100 rpms. but with the higher rpms I have more slippage on the clutch, which is heating it up and giving it a burning smell. I've thought about if it would be possible to replace the reverse gear in the transmission to something lower That way I would not lose the fuel efficiency of the 3.55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Cummins Fan

Another option is to install this 2-lo kit that BD makes. I have it and really like it for backing trailers and into extra tight parking spots with my dually. Basically it keeps the front hubs disengaged when you put the truck in 4-low and you have full range of motion in steering without binding or hopping. Its sold my many different vendors https://www.dieselperformance.com/sh...-2013-2017-586
DDRamFan likes this.

06 3500 QCLB SRW, G56 w 0.79od, 3.42 Swap
, Isspro Pyro, Boost, Rail Pressure Gauges, EFI Live, SBDD, MBRP SS 4in, Schaeffer's Fluids, Fass 150, Coolant Bypass, Farm Truck Mod. SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryoturbation For This Useful Post:
Jhenderson (09-07-2017)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Are You Diesel Enough?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryoturbation View Post
Another option is to install this 2-lo kit that BD makes. I have it and really like it for backing trailers and into extra tight parking spots with my dually. Basically it keeps the front hubs disengaged when you put the truck in 4-low and you have full range of motion in steering without binding or hopping. Its sold my many different vendors https://www.dieselperformance.com/sh...-2013-2017-586
Yes ^

Nailed it, this is a awesome option for those with a G56 truck that needs to use 4low to back something up. I personally have ran these as well as sell them. It is a cheap effective way to fit the shutter.

Sincerely,
Ashfurd "Ash" West – Sales Technician
Power Products Unlimited, Inc.
Toll Free: 888-993-4373
Direct Line: 509-795-8917
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys! I'll order one and see how it does. It seems to be the least expensive way to solve my issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode