New owner -3500hd, Aisin, Mega, 4x4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New owner -3500hd, Aisin, Mega, 4x4

Just got a 2017 3500 4x4 mega, Aisin. New, have 800 miles on it. REALLY like it. So, are there issues I need to look into right away to "Bullet proof"? Not hot rodding, just want dependability. My trailer weighs 12K. I had an Edge CTS viewer on my last truck and want to add that to this. What parameters are critical to monitor?. I know I want to add pyro, what else? THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:41 PM
World Champs!!!

Thanked 7,880 Times in 4,938 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Nothing. You don't need anything. A monitor will not prevent anything, and is extremely unlikely to give you a hint at any upcoming major issues. There's nothing "critical" to monitor.

Leave it alone. That's how you get it to be reliable. Seriously. Don't monkey with it.

'07 3500 SRW QC/LB-6.7 swap-EFILive-Goerend-WOP triple turbo-60% Exergy-Carli Backcountry Project Blue Balls
'03 2500 QC/LB. HO/NV-6.7 Swap-HE351v-Southbend-TNT/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Why would you buy a Hellcat for road trips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Because you can
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

After driving another brand diesel for the last 14 years, I got myself de-stroked because of the good things I heard about the 6.7. I agree with the "keepin it stock" philosophy. NOT needing xtra power or a bunch of fancy bells and whistles. I do almost all of my own maint, and enjoy knowing how my particular truck works. I do quite a bit of back country driving, so knowing problem points can be a benefit if something decides to start going south, or if there is something to adjust before hand. On my last truck, fuel pressure, pyro, and FICM/battery voltage were critical to watch if you wanted to avoid some costly repairs and roadside camping. Since I am new to the Cummins camp, thought I would ask at the outset if there are things to watch for. Monkey with it? nah. That's what the MOPAR engineers were paid to do. They know a lot more than I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Congrats and welcome to the family bud!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email us at:
[email protected]

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MoparProud and Dude57 for the replies!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Yes sir of course!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email us at:
[email protected]

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
welcome to the forums,
Leave the truck alone, it'll treat you fine, just change the oil, and fuel filters when they should be, enjoy it. you don't need any aftermarket gadgets.

04 QCLB. 48re, 4x4,08 mega g56, 4x4.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:29 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Delete it immediately!

2016 Ram 3500 CCSB w/ Aisin
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Those new trucks monitor basically everything on their own including EGTs. If you really want to monitor something, get a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and use your phone.
Don't worry about reliability, you have a warranty, use it! Once the warranty is up, delete it. Or do it before and say goodbye to the warranty on the exhaust/turbo and probably any engine system related to the EGR.

'06 Mega Cab 4x2 Laramie | G56 Swap | Valair HD Org Single | MBRP 4" TBE | AEM CAI | Smarty Touch SW# 3 (60 HP)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Diesel Head

I've been driving my '14 for 3 years and 87K miles now. I had an Edge CTS from a previous truck so I opted to install it in this truck. I watch EGT1, rail pressure, and boost for my viewing pleasure. lol I did opt to install the turbo timer option on the CTS and set the shutdown temp to 390 degrees. My truck is 100% stock otherwise and I just drive it and enjoy it with regular scheduled maintenance. It pulls my 12K lb 5th wheel camper just fine and my overall mileage is sitting at 18.3 mpg (I haven't towed as much as I want to). Milage pulling the camper has been between 10 and 11 MPG. You can click the link to my fuelly in my signature to see my mileage trends.

2014 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC Long bed black on black, 3.42 gears, 68rfe. Window visors tri-fold bed cover, EFI live CSP4 from HPP Tuning.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I have a CTS from another truck as well. I'm not going to be doing any hot rodding with the truck, and will be leaving it pretty much stock. I think that technology has come a long way in regards to dependability, But I wouldn't entertain for a second the thought that a part either electronic or mechanical won't ever fail prematurely. Being able to monitor some of the more important parameters can be predictive if a trend starts to establish itself. I've got my instrument cluster gauges showing me some stuff, but they are nowhere near the accuracy that I would like. I am getting the impression that most people don't monitor much, and are comfortable with that. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. That's cool. But for me, being able to see what the EGT is when pulling a long, steep hill can tell you when you need to tip out maybe just a little to keep your engine happier. If a person can tell things like that accurately from the seat of their pants, then my hat is off to them, they are way better than me.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

curious now, and this is a legit question. NOT trying to stir the pot...AutoITKing - you say these engines monitor their own EGTs. I havent found any info on that yet. Do you know the logic on this system? For example, does the engine defuel if the EGT gets up to XXXdegrees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode