Rear end problems? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear end problems?

Anybody heard of rear end problems? I think mine just ate itself up. Pulled my camper down to the beach and back and I noticed it popping while turning about a 100 miles in. Now as I get home it's obviously falling out, it's popping and the wheel is jerking when it does this like it's going to break an axle. Am I the only one with wonderful luck like this? 15 2500 342 rear and 43k miles. 4500 total towing just normal stuff...

https://youtu.be/q1EDmyF33y4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfumes57 View Post
Anybody heard of rear end problems? I think mine just ate itself up. Pulled my camper down to the beach and back and I noticed it popping while turning about a 100 miles in. Now as I get home it's obviously falling out, it's popping and the wheel is jerking when it does this like it's going to break an axle. Am I the only one with wonderful luck like this? 15 2500 342 rear and 43k miles. 4500 total towing just normal stuff...
If there is not too much damage, drain the oil ,refill with limited slip oil. The rear end doesn't have cluches and doesn't require limited slip additive,but it has been known to help. I lost a pumpkin bearing and the fine metal powder in the oil did something to mine that caused it to do what yours is doing except not as bad,only when tuning left or right from a stop. It never dose it going straight from a stop,that is why I think the ware sleeve now needs the additive. Give it a try,but while you're at it, drop your driveshaft, pull off 4 tires and check your pinon preload with an inch pound wrench, that assuming that you don't have parts falling out when you take off the rear cover. Also drain it in a clean container so you can check the oil for metal with a magnet or by filtering it through a pantie hose or something to see how much metal. You may have caught it in TIME. These pumpkins ARE non serviceable, only the outer bearings and ring geAR can be serviced. I rebuilt my complete rear 60k back,all bearings including the pinion bearing and crush sleeve.

2012 3500 drw 4x4 Laramie HO 68rfe CTS for guages,Anarchy EFI with trans tune,with a knob, COMMUNIST emissions on strike, 4" Proflow,, homemade air filter bug guard,custom rock guard behind grill , ccv delete,B&W hide a ball,,150 k of towing and climbing : Please Remember to support those who have sacrificed:
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Well, I guess that would be something under drivetrain warranty.. I guess I could let them handle it but damn, I know how that goes.. will be there for a month.. sounds like you hit the nail on the head.. I've had a lot of problems with different things in my dodges but a rear end ain't one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Ram 2500 cc cummins bone stock except for s&b intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Also the magnetic fill plug has a pretty good bit of metal on it. It's like 1/4 inch thick.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Dropped it off by the dealer to check. After 5 days without it I got a call stating it was ready. I go to receive a bill for 200 bucks for a fluid change. Said that I hadn't properly serviced the rear end and the slip modifier had dissipated. I knew this was bs, so I just paid and left. Hooked up my camper to head out.... same thing.... they then said it needed time to wear in and wait awhile and try it. It's getting louder as time goes by. Said I needed to drain some fluid out of the rear end and add another bottle of modifier and that would help. I'm so sick of stupid crooked dealers....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfumes57 View Post
Dropped it off by the dealer to check. After 5 days without it I got a call stating it was ready. I go to receive a bill for 200 bucks for a fluid change. Said that I hadn't properly serviced the rear end and the slip modifier had dissipated. I knew this was bs, so I just paid and left. Hooked up my camper to head out.... same thing.... they then said it needed time to wear in and wait awhile and try it. It's getting louder as time goes by. Said I needed to drain some fluid out of the rear end and add another bottle of modifier and that would help. I'm so sick of stupid crooked dealers....
You shouldnt have paid it, point out to them in the manual for your truck exactly where it says it requires friction modifier (which you wont find in there). Anytime you pay or sign a service invoice is like admitting guilt it seems.

Take it back in and call chrysler customer care while your waiting in the lobby.

2014 3500 Tradesman CCSB, SRW, 6.7, G56, QG56DDSN-ORG, ST MAXX 295/70-18
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 PM

If you had a 1/4" piece of metal stuck to the magnet you have serious failure going on. By the sounds of it, youve either chipped a tooth off the ring/pinion or from a spider gear. In either case STOP driving the truck, as its just going to self destruct. Pop the rear diff cover off and inspect the teeth of the ring/pinion/and spiders. If you take it to the dealership insist to see the inside of the diff when they service it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Yeah stupid me. Im like most of us on here, we all have busy lives and many things going on and know a lot about these trucks but not everything. The things I don't know I research on here if I have time and if not I've trusted in the dealer a few times. Well the last few times has been a freaking joke. It's bad when Chrysler tells me on the phone to not use that dealer anymore that he can't deal with them and the place is just problematic. Cough that up to a lesson learned. The damn thing has been so much trouble since I bought it I'm considering filing a lemon law claim against them. But what alternative do I have if they buy the truck back? Ford? Heck no... chevy? It's a 3/4 ton Tahoe... it's just been something every 6 months since I've opened it... wore out fighting

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:26 AM
Diesel Head

ANy other dealers that Ram recommends in your area?

I would stick with a cummins anyhow, lemon trucks seem to be pretty rare but then again there are those that get hit by lightning twice in there life time.

2014 3500 Tradesman CCSB, SRW, 6.7, G56, QG56DDSN-ORG, ST MAXX 295/70-18
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Sadly, the rear diff problems came with the American Axle. I rebuilt many AA's in these trucks under warranty, but I don't recall doing any that would make a popping sound, just bearing howl. It saddens me hearing about more and more crooked dealerships nowadays. That line about diff maintenance and friction modifier is total b.s.

01.5 2500 RCLB, HO, Patriot Blue, nv5600, 4x4, USA Gear 3.55's, South Bend 3600, Detroit Truetrac frt&rr, Airdog, Fire ringed, ARP Studs, Smarty, 150 injectors, HRVP44, s400, 4" d-pipe to 5" mbrp pipe, muffler MIA.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98snowman View Post
Sadly, the rear diff problems came with the American Axle. I rebuilt many AA's in these trucks under warranty, but I don't recall doing any that would make a popping sound, just bearing howl. It saddens me hearing about more and more crooked dealerships nowadays. That line about diff maintenance and friction modifier is total b.s.
DO you work at a dealership?

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

link to popping in the rear end
https://youtu.be/q1EDmyF33y4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode