2012 won't start - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2012 won't start

Ok, so the other day I went to crank my truck with remote start. Well it didn't crank. so I unlock the doors hop in and try to start it. Nothing all the dashlights come on MIL light comes on and flashes... I disconnect the battery cables and even cross them to drain any residual voltage. It does not clear and still won't crank. I get my wife to bring my code reader(just an OBDII scanner and torque on my phone) it was a Powertrain pcm fault code. I should have wrote it down but I didn't. I cleared the code and the truck cranked right up. Turned around and drove it about 1000 miles towing the camper this weekend with no problems. Drove it to work yesterday and back home no issue. My wife went to run some errands this morning gets in the truck and outta no where truck won't crank. I grab my phone and check codes and it had a p040d code. I bought the truck used from a dealer and the previous owner had already deleted the egr and DPF. I could not clear the code so I pulled the battery cables again. Went and rechecked the codes and now that code is gone and I hve a P144E Powertrain code that will not clear. Truck will not crank and everything I see is online is pointing to the fact that maybe I don't have a tuner?? It did not have one when I got it but I did not think anything about it. Truck won't crank at all. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Anybody? I'm at an impasse.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
What's your battery voltage? Are they origional?

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

12.6 and they are only about 8 months old.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Diesel Head

Those code shouldn't prevent the truck from starting.
Battery's sound good. Have you done a jump start for chits and googles to see if the starter will function? Have you checked the harness at your powertrain control module?

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
The Following User Says Thank You to N of 60 For This Useful Post:
Kmjrmalfunction (02-24-2016)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

You got me to thinking. The other day when I was trying to clear codes, the voltages were fine but I decided to hook my company truck up to it anyway. When my wife arrived with the obdII adapter i hooked it up and cleared the codes with the jumper cables still in place. DING DING I just did the same thing. It's running. I bet I have a dead cell in one of the batteries. Interstate blems so no warranty but I'll replace them and we will see. Thank you for helping me to remember that.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Diesel Head

These trucks can be quirky. There can be enough voltage to crank them over BUT if the criteria isn't met, it won't even acknowledge to even turn it over slowly. Just not like the old days. I got left out in the cold with the same thing. I waited 10 min and next try I ignored the wait to start light and bypassed the grid htr load. There was enough voltage present and it allowed the starter to enable to do its job. Good thing these Cummins are good in cold weather without help. Hope your problem is a simple bad battery. Load test each one for sure.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,002 Posts
voltage means nothing when the batteries only have 100 amps in them and a dead cell or two...get a load tester

-CJ
05 F250 SuperCab long bed, soon to have a 12 valve
06 Jetta TDI Daily
The Following User Says Thank You to DodgeMech For This Useful Post:
TWR (02-24-2016)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeMech View Post
voltage means nothing when the batteries only have 100 amps in them and a dead cell or two...get a load tester
Totally agree, that's why I said have both load tested. Since your a Dodge tech, I was wondering what is monitored to allow or dis- allow the starter to trigger after the tip start?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Totally agree, that's why I said have both load tested. Since your a Dodge tech, I was wondering what is monitored to allow or dis- allow the starter to trigger after the tip start?
i'd imagine things like battery voltage w/ the grid heater on(kind of like a load test), outside temp, and a few other things...

but you are right, the newer tipm based and whatever chrysler calls the ones with bcm's tend to just click the starter when say a 05 would've at least let it actually crank over slowly

and i've used the quick all the way to the right thing on the fob to get one with bad batteries to actually crank...i think it kinda fools everything into thinking it's all right

-CJ
05 F250 SuperCab long bed, soon to have a 12 valve
06 Jetta TDI Daily
The Following User Says Thank You to DodgeMech For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (02-25-2016)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Any idea on why it didn't start or was it a bad cell in the battery; causing it not to communicate with PCM/ECM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode