service 4wd and manual transfercase - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
service 4wd and manual transfercase

Has anyone had there service 4wd light come on and 4wd not work on there trucks? Mine has the manual transfer case and i cant get the 4wd to engage. It makes a grinding sound when i go to do this. Haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet (not that i want to deal with the dealer) and wanted to see if its something i can fix my self. Truck drives fine ect just no 4wd. Could it just be a sensor or something?

2014 C&C 5500, G56, Hardway EFI, Hardway compounds, ARP625's, Valair DD, Glacier diesel goodies(S2intake,Big fuel line kit, Grid heater delete, High flow grid heater, ccv reroute) Auto meter factory match Boost,pryo,trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
If its grinding and not engaging, something is wrong. It sounds like the CAD actuator might have failed. While moving SLOW and you try the 4wd, do you feel the grinding in the 4wd shifter through your hand, or hear/feel it in the chassis of the truck?

The new trucks use a Central Axle Disconnect system on the front axle housing to lower rolling resistance. Maybe this actuator failed and threw the 4wd code. I don't see the BW44-47 case going bad unless you are beating the crap out of it.

97 ECLB 4x4-#10 fuel plate, 5x12 SAC injectors, 47re to NV4500 convert, fleece coolant bypass, K27.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I feel the grinding while trying to engage it while at stopped I never try to engage while moving. I've used the 4wd maybe a hand full of times and at very slow speed just to keep from getting stuck in the sand while towing my 5er.

2014 C&C 5500, G56, Hardway EFI, Hardway compounds, ARP625's, Valair DD, Glacier diesel goodies(S2intake,Big fuel line kit, Grid heater delete, High flow grid heater, ccv reroute) Auto meter factory match Boost,pryo,trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlane928 View Post
I feel the grinding while trying to engage it while at stopped I never try to engage while moving. I've used the 4wd maybe a hand full of times and at very slow speed just to keep from getting stuck in the sand while towing my 5er.
I have always been taught by Dad and Grandad to try to engage the 4wd HI while moving slow so as to allow all the gears to slot up and engage.

4wd LO is designed to be engaged from a stand still as you have to go through 'N'eutral on the case. If you are 'feeling' the grinding it sounds like it is a problem in the case. I can't imagine why it would grind while standing still.

How about going into 4wd LO?

97 ECLB 4x4-#10 fuel plate, 5x12 SAC injectors, 47re to NV4500 convert, fleece coolant bypass, K27.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:43 PM
Cummins Freak

Garage
Have you looked under the truck at the rod that engages the manual transfer case to make sure something hasn't come loose??? Try to engage it by hand from under the truck by the lever while somebody is in the truck with their foot on the brake of course!!!! Could just be out of adjustment!!!

2018 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Bighorn White 4.10 Gears/Carli Level/295 Toyo AT2's /Full Console swop w shifter /Projector Headlights with HID's-LED Highs/ B&W Turnover Ball----
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie , 35" Toyo AT's / Center Console Shifter Mod. SOLD---- 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 Crew-Silver- 4:10's / Carli 3" Coils w/35" Toyo AT2's / Ranch Hand Bumper / Center Console Swap w shifter SOLD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode