Has anyone done the CA egr style delete? - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by solamf View Post
I assumed (foolishly) that I'd know when a regen was happening. On big trucks (Class 8), you're very aware when the regen kicks in. I assumed something along those lines occurred here and that I'd know when/if it kicked in. I've just been chugging along thinking it'd never done it so far.
I hear ya I drive/run all sorts of big equipment with dpfs on them 90% of them let ya know what's goin on especially when you have to stop and do a regen.

(Sold)2012 3500 laramie g56, 95 5.9 12v 4x4 2500, 92 250 5.9 12v 2wd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:37 PM

Garage
6.7 Cummins EGR disable/ reduce, eliminate active regen

Just subscribed to Cummins Forum. I dont have permissions to start a new thread and am going to offer new information on this topic.There are a lot of people that don’t want to remove the crap named emissions equipment and risk fines etc. I did a lot of reading on the subject and did come up with some solutions to help with the 2007.5-2012 Rams. I cannot report on the def trucks but this may work on them as well. Will most likely work with any DPF truck including Duramax and Powerstrokes.

Reduce or eliminate active regen process: There are 2 types of Regen processes associated with DPF equipped trucks. Active Regen that all are very familiar with, when the trucks ECM commands more post injection fuel added to the exhaust stoke triggering a burn off of soot build up in the DPF filter. This normally happens every 50-100 miles in stock trucks and your mileage takes a dump. The second type of Regen, Passive regen usually goes unnoticed and occurs when towing or longer highway runs. The exhaust gases remain hot enough for a sustained amount of time that allows the soot in the DPF to burn off. Passive regen does not hurt your mpg.
After thinking this over, I decided to come up with a mod to promote passive regen, thus reducing/eliminating the negatives of active regen. To keep the exhaust gasses hot enough requires insulation to reduce heat loss. I purchased 50ft of exhaust header wrap with an aluminum coating on one side. 50ft was enough to wrap from the downstream side of the Cat to the DPF and wrap the DPF. The metal straps are not necessary, I preferred using bully wire about every 1 1/2'. Wrapping sections makes it easier to wrap and remove sections of pipe if desired. I didn’t remove any sections by the way and spent about 30-45 minutes wrapping. It was tricky wrapping the DPF filter due to the shape, take your time, you may want to wrap in an X shape to get the funnel shape parts of the DPF.
No need to worry about this mod affecting EGTs, since it has nothing to do with temperatures coming from the exhaust port.
So, how does it work? I have had my pipe wrapped for 2 weeks and approx 500 miles and see a big improvement. I have not had the instant mpg pegged to the left indicating active regen once!! Even city driving it has not gone into a full regen. It appeared to do an abbreviated one, my instant did some flickering to the left like the ECM may have added a minute amount of post injection. My mpg is up about 1 1/2 to 2 mpg from what I can see so far.

EGR mod: Another mod I have been working on is to reduce/eliminate EGR function. I was hesitant on this subject since many subscribers stated limp mode and dealer trips were the result. I knew the pre 2013 Rams have over active EGR and Ram greatly reduced the amount of EGR in the 2013 & up trucks. Seems like a better approach is to fool the EGR temperature sensor. The sensor reads resistance as exhaust temp. Seems like people have unplugged the EGR temp sensor and put a resistor in the circuit to send a low temperature signal to the ECM. When the ECM sees this, the EGR valve is kept closed. While this sounds like the Holy Grail, there are some minor short falls. I used a 1/4 watt, 10 ohm resistor. Bend the ends to form a U shape. Then bend a small amount of the 2 end wires back on itself making it double thick. Insert one end of the resistor into each socket of the EGR temp connector. This simulates the sensor and the ECM thinks its plugged in. From what I can tell the EGR is staying closed. I noticed a slightly louder engine idle to. Mabe someone can answer why that is? I think its due to fresh air vs crap air or did the map change to a colder climate one? It works pretty darn well with 1 issue, you will eventually trigger a CEL, P040 open EGR circuit. I have gone 1 to 2 days between codes and have not caused a limp condition or power loss. I simply clear the code since I don’t like driving with a CEL but I don’t see any negative performance issues with this method. Duramax owners have a Holy Grail called the finger stick. Anyone try making one for Cummins??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161018_140916.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	579370   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161018_140950.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	579378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161018_140555.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	579386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161018_140610.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	579394  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 AM

Garage
Has any one Tried the Smarty touch? Im looking for reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Hello, can you please share some contacts you may have for the DPF delete in So Cal? Thanks a mil!!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatransport View Post
Hello, can you please share some contacts you may have for the DPF delete in So Cal? Thanks a mil!!
It took me months to find.
check the classifieds on this forum. people are always getting rid of them.
Keep checking cragslist one may pop up.
Good luck!

12 2500. 6.7 4X4
Carli 3in springs, King Pintop 2.5s Carli Torsion sway bar Carli add a pack, Carli control arms. Tuned by PPEI. Sitting on Toyo ATII 35s.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:13 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
A buddy of mine has the CA delete with a straight pipe on his 12. He just plugs the EGR and removes the tuner and has to cycle the ECM cause a code gets thrown when he does it. It took him like 3 or 4 tries until all the monitors were ready and it passed smog. Your only
problem would be is if the vehicle gets flagged in the system and makes you go to a star smog center, then that is where they start to
dig deeper. You are not gaining any mpgs with the delete, it has to be tuned to get the full mpg benefit.

2016 Ram 2500 SLT Hog Leg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode