Is this how a brand new cummins sounds? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is this how a brand new cummins sounds?

Just bought a brand new 2500 two weeks ago, had 15 miles on it. It's made this noise since day one and I wanted to get used to the truck before posting. 1000 miles later it's still doing it. The truck shifts into 4th too soon in my opinion. Anyway when I'm going through 1-3 it sounds normal, as soon as I get into 4th and through the gear into 5th it will make this horrible chatter sound. As the truck warms up the sound is still there just not as loud but still very notiable. Test drove another 16 and there is no noise. I'm afraid the dealer won't be able to figure this out when I bring it in and wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 AM

'Pinging'

Does it sound like an older pre computers gas engine where the timing is a bit too advanced and it pings (pre-ignition) when under a light load?

'14 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7HO Aisin
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 PM

I'm not sure if I have same noise. I have a 2014 2500 I bought it w 16k on the OD this summer. I don't know if I never noticed it riding around music up windows down :-) But, if I'm rolling along in 40mph or so, and then hit the pedal to speed up, it does its down shift, and thn I think at some point in the up shifts there a faint rattle somewhere. The sound makes me think of plastic balls in the TV lottery things all blowing around...its a rattle not loud, pretty brief there is a lot of heat sheild "stuff" around everywhere and I saw a video on YouTube someone mounted a can underneath to locate a "noise" you could see lots of stuff all over moves/ vibrates etc.

I don't know what the noise is, whether to worry or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 PM
Cummins Nut

I think I know what sound you are talking about. It sounds like a chatter when the engine lugs because it's in a higher gear than it should be. I have tried driving with tow haul on all the time and that seems to help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I wish I could post a video of the sound. It's not normal. I've got a 6.7 I drive at work and it's never made the sound. It gets quieter as it warms up. It's only in drive under load. At all rpms. It's a chatter/rattle sound. It's definitely mechanical and doesn't sound like metal to metal.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:51 AM

Apologies for weird typos, my Android phn app for this site is a bit funky and my autocorrect needs to take an ESL course....

There is a YouTube video you can search for, I'll post it if I find it again later, guy mounted a camera to undercarriage because he's got one of the mystery noises. I didn't hear my noise in the video, but you can see lots of stuff vibrates jangles around going dwn road.

Crambo I think you are right about lugging and my rattle. I have 3:42 gears and drive rural mountains. I also often lockout over drive untill im at high cryisung steady speed. The overdrive on the auto trans feels to me much more like the OD on a manual transmission, it just has that feeling of being a higher speed, highway, cruising gear. My rattle sound is quite a bit like when I've had a manual trans and you shift wrong, lugs a min and things rattle for a second. But the vehicle doesn't shudder at all.....it sound kinda like if you lug a manual for a sec and you have loose heat shield on the exhaust and that rattles for a sec.

There seem to be a lot of posts on various forums related to the trans shifts and the " what's this noise?" Stuff. The trans has a different kind of feel to it than other older auto trans. I think it adapts to me and I also adapt to it. It just behaves like...to me the feel is much more like a manual trans if that makes any sense at all. Other automatics I've had kinda just do their thing and you don't have much input, this one, you can kinda make it shift more intentionally with how you use the pedal without " getting on the pedal"..... I don't know if this makes any sense it's just how the animal feels to me! Im a horse trainer so perhaps I tune in to such things! The 2014 is definitely a nifty animal but it's got some quirks, not necessarily bad, just different feel to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode