DPF clogged, won't run over 7 mph - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DPF clogged, won't run over 7 mph

I have a 2011 2500 6.7.

It was running fine until I hit a deer. It ran good for 30 miles, then the temp went up and the radiator blew all it's fluid out. The bumper, evaporator core, radiator, and fan were changed.

I got it back from the dealer not running over 7 mph. It's showing that the dpf filter is 90% plugged. I pulled the 2 cans, and knocked the guts out of them. Called RSD and they recommended a RaceMe. I installed the tune, and I'm still having the same issue. I've deleted the codes quite a few times (it doesn't show any but I kept trying anyhow)

I went bought an OBD II reader, and deleted the code. Every time I start it a P0239 code pops up.

I'm 780 miles from home, and would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_ View Post
I have a 2011 2500 6.7.

It was running fine until I hit a deer. It ran good for 30 miles, then the temp went up and the radiator blew all it's fluid out. The bumper, evaporator core, radiator, and fan were changed.

I got it back from the dealer not running over 7 mph. It's showing that the dpf filter is 90% plugged. I pulled the 2 cans, and knocked the guts out of them. Called RSD and they recommended a RaceMe. I installed the tune, and I'm still having the same issue. I've deleted the codes quite a few times (it doesn't show any but I kept trying anyhow)

I went bought an OBD II reader, and deleted the code. Every time I start it a P0239 code pops up.

I'm 780 miles from home, and would really appreciate any help. Thanks.
I'm an old timer and this is not my specialty, but maybe try to unhook both batteries for a few minutes and try again, maybe clean whatever sensors that are still active.I live in Crowley, where are you broke down (area)

2012 3500 drw 4x4 Laramie HO 68rfe CTS for guages,Anarchy EFI with trans tune,with a knob, COMMUNIST emissions on strike, 4" Proflow,, homemade air filter bug guard,custom rock guard behind grill , ccv delete,B&W hide a ball,,150 k of towing and climbing : Please Remember to support those who have sacrificed:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tonyb337; 11-07-2015 at 12:22 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
So what tune did u install/load. Emissions present,low sulfur, high sulfur?
Sorry not familure with the RaceMe lingo.
You disconnected all your sensors and DPF differential pressure transmitter tubes etc...

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Sound's like you should have turned right around and returned it to the dealer, LOL. Actually to me, it sounds like the vein's are stuck on your VGT Turbo, had a friend bring me an 012 that was doing exactly the same thing, sounded like a jet engine and barely had enough power to pull it up on the trailer to transport it here. Did a Second Gen. Conversion with a S-467.7 Turbo and turned it into a Beast, LOL. Pretty sure he still has that ear-to-ear grin on his face.

04.5 4x4, 5" Lift on 20"s, Insight, VCM Suite Tune's, 5" exh., T-Ram plate, Banks, Fass, 100 H/P Flux II's, 2nd Gen. S/D T-4 Exh, S-467.7 FMW Turbo, 2nd Gen. Conv., Studs. PPE Dual CP3's.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb337 View Post
I'm an old timer and this is not my specialty, but maybe try to unhook both batteries for a few minutes and try again, maybe clean whatever sensors that are still active.I live in Crowley, where are you broke down (area)
I did unhook 1 battery for an hour. I thought that broke the circuit. I'll try both in a minute.
I'm broke down in Midland, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
So what tune did u install/load. Emissions present,low sulfur, high sulfur?
Sorry not familure with the RaceMe lingo.
You disconnected all your sensors and DPF differential pressure transmitter tubes etc...
I put what is supposed to be a mild tune, but it didn't work, so I put what is supposed to be equal to stock until I get this sorted out.

When I put it back together, I did connect all of the plugs and the 2 lines. From what I read about the programmer, I thought the computer would bypass it all. Should I unplug it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevokeeman View Post
Sound's like you should have turned right around and returned it to the dealer, LOL. Actually to me, it sounds like the vein's are stuck on your VGT Turbo, had a friend bring me an 012 that was doing exactly the same thing, sounded like a jet engine and barely had enough power to pull it up on the trailer to transport it here. Did a Second Gen. Conversion with a S-467.7 Turbo and turned it into a Beast, LOL. Pretty sure he still has that ear-to-ear grin on his face.
It was a Chevy dealer that the insurance used. They were allowed to repair the body work. The insurance said the deer couldn't have effected the exhaust. They wanted $4200 to replace the DPF filter.

Are you saying I might have burnt the turbo?
What are my options to fix it?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Actually, the VGT, Variable Geometry Turbo, is known for sticking the movable vanes. earlier years from 07.5 trucks and up were cleaned by the dealer, which provided a short term fix, but not a long term solution. As for the fix, most people sacrifice the Exhaust Brake and go with a fixed blade Turbo, 2nd Gen. Conversion, that eliminates all the soot Sticking problems associated with the problematic VGT Turbo's. Sometimes you can put the Exh. brake on and drive it hard with a load on it, to free up the vanes, but I would assume you are past that point now. Suggestion: Do a search on here for VGT and read up on them, not really one of Ram's better idea's.

04.5 4x4, 5" Lift on 20"s, Insight, VCM Suite Tune's, 5" exh., T-Ram plate, Banks, Fass, 100 H/P Flux II's, 2nd Gen. S/D T-4 Exh, S-467.7 FMW Turbo, 2nd Gen. Conv., Studs. PPE Dual CP3's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevokeeman For This Useful Post:
Steel_ (11-07-2015)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Do you think it could have been caused by the loss of coolant, and the temperature spike?

Maybe I can convince the insurance that the deer was the cause, and get it covered.

Thanks
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I just had my vgt take a dump on me. Did a 3 rd gen swap with a fixed vane turbo. Just got it done a few days ago . Truck drives like a champ now I'm very happy with it. Miss the exhaust brake though so I have a BD exhaust brake coming soon .
I would tell the insurance company that the coolant loss burned the turbo out and then get rid of the vgt.
I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure all the new trucks use vgt turbos now. It's part of all the emmisons garbage and it gives u an exhaust brake as a bonus.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with the insurance. They will be sending an adjuster next week. Hopefully they will agree that the coolant loss caused the problem.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_ View Post
Just got off the phone with the insurance. They will be sending an adjuster next week. Hopefully they will agree that the coolant loss caused the problem.
I hope so, give them some hell show them what you made of,South Louisiana

2012 3500 drw 4x4 Laramie HO 68rfe CTS for guages,Anarchy EFI with trans tune,with a knob, COMMUNIST emissions on strike, 4" Proflow,, homemade air filter bug guard,custom rock guard behind grill , ccv delete,B&W hide a ball,,150 k of towing and climbing : Please Remember to support those who have sacrificed:
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Diesel Head

Google search shows p0239 as a problem with the boost reference signal. Maybe a connector got left off during the accident or while in the shop. Also, there's a small metal tube on the exhaust manifold that runs toward the front of the engine near the thermostat housing, that tube could have been damaged.

Also, make sure you unplugged the right connectors when you did the deletes. Some people have mixed up the map sensor and the electronic throttle control connectors. The map sensor is higher up on the intake horn, the ETC connector is on the back of its intake horn, down near where the intake horn connects to the silicone boot.

For what it's worth, I doubt this is a turbo issue, I suspect it's a wiring/programming issue. We had a car fixed by a body shop a few years ago after a deer strike. When they put it all back together it had a code for the rear wheel speed sensor. The car was only a year old and was hit in the front end. They tried to bill us for replacing the speed sensor even though it didn't fix the ABS warning. Turned out being a cut wire in the harness running across the radiator support.

Honestly, I think, if you'd gone straight to a dodge dealer after the DPF problem showed up, they would have been able to figure it out without much trouble. At this point, you might be better off to try contacting RaceMe directly, to see if they have any suggestions.

Jeff.

2017 2500 CCLB Bright Silver, 4wd, G56
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I tried calling them Thursday, but they are at the SEMA show, so all I get is text messages from them. They did send me pictures of the 2 connectors that needed to be unplugged though. Not real happy with their customer support so far. They were really helpful until they got my money. Now they aren't to quick to respond.

I'll go look under the front for broken wires or that tube.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode