Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Built 68rfe trans ?'s

19K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Mmecsics 
#1 ·
I've been looking into having my stock 2012 68rfe trans w/100k miles built. I'm building a solid Daily/Weekend truck with 600-650rwhp goal. I have read about every built trans dealer descriptions and each claim that their trans is the "best". I would love to hear some "real owner" input about various brands and options. I am not looking to squeak by with minimum or non-quality parts. I am leaning towards a "fully built" Suncoast, Firepunk, or Revmax tans.

Also, are billet shafts (input/output),flexplate, and TC necessary for a non-race application?

Thanks for your input!

#3 ·
alot of people have problems with the 68rfe hard to make them last, i dont touch them anymore other than a stock rebuild,
do a 4r100 swap, pretty good trans and cheaper to build

#5 ·
the 4r100 is what was behind the 7.3 powerstrokes, so far i havent had any problems out of them as far as holding togeather on performance applications, u can pick up a reman 4r100 for $1500, ATS makes the conversion kit, its alot cheaper doing this route then a 48/47re swap

i think the kit comes with controller flexplate, adapter plate and torque converter starter lines etc, ive always ran phil taylors tripple disk converter though,
my trucks a six speed with the G-56 and if it ever goes im going this route or a nv5600 swap
im doing the 4r100 conversion on a truck this week ill get some pictures and videos for you if i remeber

#43 ·
I was not aware the 4R100 could be used in our trucks, interesting. I can say a little about the 4R100. I had a 2002 F350 with the legendary 7.3 Power Stroke, then made for Ford by International and of course with the 4R100 transmission. What a great engine and transmission, both very relaible and both work horses. The F350' s body began rusting again after I had the rust issues fixed,the rust came back. If it were not for the rust I am sure I would still have the truck. The only emmision item the truck had was the Intake/Air Filter, it was a AIS set up made for the 7.3, by Donaldson and approved by Ford, also had the MBRP Exhaust, truck ran great because it could breath. I now have a 2011 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins, great truck.

#6 ·
How much electronic crap has to be done for the cross over. And about the h&s trans tune for the auto . .?

#8 ·
it straight forward as far as electrical plug and play with stand alone, even with a strong 68 with big power your gonna have problems the main thing i see with the 68 is timing the apply and release of the packs, either resulting in slip or bind up both which cause fast wear and tear, not saying it isnt possible to have a great 68rfe but everyone has their opinion

#14 ·
Commercial 68rfe

GLBWAMR

Can you post us some video of a 4wd ~20psi boosted launch 0-100mph wot run?

You have my attention with this transmission you swear by.

I just cooked my ODs on my 68. Looking for options.

thank you

#19 ·
I'm working out in the bush by the Yukon border.. So it will be a few weeks, sorry. And when I get back I have to put a new turbo in. Not giving excuses, just kinda how she goes sometimes.

Sucks to hear about your trans, no one likes forking out that much cash unexpectedly.

68rfe to 48re swap questions, comments, concerns!!!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Way off topic here but, are you working by liard hot springs? It's off the Alcan hwy. If you've never been, I highly suggest it.

#20 ·
When I'm working I don't have much time for site seeing. And I using don't stay for longer then a 15/6 rotation on different locations. My old man did that tour long time ago when he worked in the patch tho. Told me the same thing your telling me lol.

#21 ·
so no one has faith in the revmax trans? or suncoast? firepunk? I mean they have to work somewhat well I assume? for 7-8g they better. granted if you're boost launching and all the time and racing it I can see how a 6speed can be non ideal. but for most of us who just want more power but use our trucks regularly they should be ideal right?

#22 ·
I have the truck in shop having revmax 850 being installed as we speak will post up videos of 4wd launches and runs as soon as its broken in.

#28 ·
I posted a topic about this, but since this is relevant I'll post it here too.

This is a quote from ATS' facebook page and they are making some pretty big claims.

NEW FOR THE 07.5-15 Dodge 68RFE

The new ATS CoPilot for the 68RFE marks a new level in torque converter control, allowing for forced torque converter lockup, increased line pressure and simple plug and play installation for all 68 RFE transmissions. With our newly designed and engineered valve body separator and accumulator plates, you can convert a stock or after-market transmission to command up to 270psi of line pressure.

The new wiring harness gives you true “plug and play” installations for 2007.5-2015 vehicles, with no need to cut or splice wires. 2010 and newer vehicles still retain control over line pressures, but also gain lockup control of the torque converter.

The new ATS CoPilot 68 RFE kit still monitors variables such as vehicle speed (VSS), boost (MAP) and Throttle Position (TPS) to do its job, while accurately controlling internal clamping force, allowing the transmission to complete the shifts more quickly, at higher power levels, while not affecting the long term shift strategy of the transmission.

With the new valve body separator plate, you get up to 270psi of pressure to the clutch packs, allowing you to gain up to 400ft lb of torque over the factory capabilities of a stock transmission. The Copilot’s intelligent line pressure control provides this increased performance without raising internal transmission temperatures.

The biggest benefit of the New CoPilot 68RFE kit is the significant jump in the horsepower and torque capacity that a stock or aftermarket transmission will hold. With on-the-fly adjustment, better shift and clutch application, improved lock-up capabilities and increased performance, the new CoPilot 68RFE transmission kit is the ultimate in transmission/converter control for the 68RFE.

CoPilot Features:
Custom Accumulator Plate
Custom Separator Plate
New Wiring Harness Design
Plug and Play installation - No wire cutting needed
On The Fly Adjustment
Improved Line Pressure Management
Better Shift Response
Easy Installation on all 07.5-15 Dodge 68RFE Transmissions

#35 ·
In all honesty I can't speak for what he would do, but I know he's so busy here it wouldn't be worth it to leave. Each one that he builds is special to the guy. I want to see him share the knowledge but it's not coming without a price. And the guy is old school gear head and everytime I visit his shop I could bs for hrs. The amount of knowledge that pours atta him and his son Karl is amazing. But when a guy can build a 2500hp capable Allison what would you expect... ;)

#38 ·
If I wasn't set on keeping the 68 I would have a gold nugget 48 from firepunk in my truck right meow. I am unaware of Firepunk building a 68? or at least I haven't heard of one being built from them.

#40 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.